Blood and Doom: A WoD version of Conan.

Ferruccio

Villager
Core rulebook badly needs another editing pass, but it looks quite interesting.
Yeah correct. We didn’t have to the time and wanted to release it before the Kickstarter. First thing to happen after it ends is an editing pass on the free Primers and then of course making sure we do several for the final release when it goes to print end of this year. 😁

Jahydin

Hero
@Ferruccio
Thanks for popping in and clarifying.

Game looks great and I will certainly get around to reading it cover to cover soon.

Is there anywhere online where early development of the game is discussed? I'm really interested in what inspired such a unique product.

Ferruccio

Villager
@Ferruccio
Thanks for popping in and clarifying.

Game looks great and I will certainly get around to reading it cover to cover soon.

Is there anywhere online where early development of the game is discussed? I'm really interested in what inspired such a unique product.
Thank you! As a matter of fact, there is. I'm very active on Discord and we've got people joining every day (mostly backers) and talking about the game, discussing the rules, setting, and providing valuable input that will all be taken into consideration for the shape of the final game. And we also play Blood and Doom of course! You can find us here: Join the Dicetale Games Discord Server! (y)

aramis erak

Legend
To clarify, it’s not a typical class and level advancement system. You can earn experience points in many different ways (exploring a city, finding legendary treasure, solving a quest, etc).
Irrelevant; Palladium, AD&D, Rolemaster/Spacemaster, and many others allow a wide variety of sources
When you gain a level, your max ‘hit points’ don’t increase and you are free to choose several of your skills and increase its rank. (Skills are also freely chosen from a large list during character creation)
Barely relevant - Some, most notably but not exclusively, Rolemaster/Spacemaster/MERP, allow increases but do not automatically increase; a few do not increase combat capability.
You also have traits, powers and magic that you can gain and are completely free to choose which, so they aren’t gained in any set ‘order’. Plus, you can choose which of the traits, powers or magic you already have you’d like to improve.
Irrelevant - the same is true of several D20 system games.
Rolemaster (and its derivatives, Spacemaster, MERP, HARP, Cyberspace) and its recent pseudoclones (they're not actually the same, but are very clearly aimed at fans of RM) don't even class restrict ANY abilities... the class just sets the costs. Alternity is close to that as well; its classes are also 99% just setting advancement costs.
As you can see there’s a lot of freedom of choice here, and it’s radically different from how level advancement works in 5e (to name an example).
You're comparing one, very visible, form of C&L, while appearing grossly ignorant of the other big name C&L games, let alone the many heartbreakers inspired by D&D, T&T, Palladium, Rolemaster, Alternity.... Just because it's not D&D like doesn't make it not Class and Level. It just makes it more complex class and level.
You are however still an ‘Archetype’, one of eightteen available. Like the Barbarian ‘Nomad’, Druid ‘Kindred’ or Guardian ‘Vanguard’. Each Archetype (even those within the same Class) is wholly unique though.
Archetype and Class are nearly synonymous. If one's archetype includes abilities denied to others, it's a class. If it determines the range of abilities one can get. it's a class. If it sets a protected niche, it's a class.
It need not be all three...

Levels: Savage Worlds is a leveled game, but lacks classes. Every 5 XP, it triggers and advance. Every 4th advance, new options arise.

And what about the culture names is so funky according to you? Ethennia, Ishta, Roshan, Evandyr… You’re the first to call them funky so I’m curious what you think is wrong with them. Imo they embody very well the cultures they represent in the setting.
I said my issue already: They don't clue me into what they're drawn from, so they're just random noises.
By comparison, the Warhammer Old World has very clear hooks. Tilea is clearly derived from Italia, Bretonia is derived from Brittany; Kislev is a bit more corrupt, but is derived from Kiev, as in the Kievan Rus.
I hope the above at least clarifies a thing or two!
How quaint... Denying the obvious is clarification...
Just moved it from probably won't get a full read to definitely won't, because there's literally no indication of new ground being covered...

Ferruccio

Villager
Irrelevant; Palladium, AD&D, Rolemaster/Spacemaster, and many others allow a wide variety of sources

Barely relevant - Some, most notably but not exclusively, Rolemaster/Spacemaster/MERP, allow increases but do not automatically increase; a few do not increase combat capability.

Irrelevant - the same is true of several D20 system games.
Rolemaster (and its derivatives, Spacemaster, MERP, HARP, Cyberspace) and its recent pseudoclones (they're not actually the same, but are very clearly aimed at fans of RM) don't even class restrict ANY abilities... the class just sets the costs. Alternity is close to that as well; its classes are also 99% just setting advancement costs.

You're comparing one, very visible, form of C&L, while appearing grossly ignorant of the other big name C&L games, let alone the many heartbreakers inspired by D&D, T&T, Palladium, Rolemaster, Alternity.... Just because it's not D&D like doesn't make it not Class and Level. It just makes it more complex class and level.

Archetype and Class are nearly synonymous. If one's archetype includes abilities denied to others, it's a class. If it determines the range of abilities one can get. it's a class. If it sets a protected niche, it's a class.
It need not be all three...

Levels: Savage Worlds is a leveled game, but lacks classes. Every 5 XP, it triggers and advance. Every 4th advance, new options arise.

I said my issue already: They don't clue me into what they're drawn from, so they're just random noises.
By comparison, the Warhammer Old World has very clear hooks. Tilea is clearly derived from Italia, Bretonia is derived from Brittany; Kislev is a bit more corrupt, but is derived from Kiev, as in the Kievan Rus.

How quaint... Denying the obvious is clarification...
Just moved it from probably won't get a full read to definitely won't, because there's literally no indication of new ground being covered...
Alright man... (y) That's a whole bunch of frustration unloading right there. I was just trying to have a friendly chat about my game and the design choices the thread was engaging with. @Jahydin rightfully responded with what I was already thinking so I don't have anything to add besides the above. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Post Script: I'm now all-in on Shadowdark, which should say something about the direction I've gone in my gaming preferences, and add some context to my criticisms. Quick and easy chargen, sparse character sheets, not much dice rolling.

EDIT: Which doesn't mean I have to criticize other people's hard work on the kind of games they enjoy.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would be interesting (to me, anyway) to run usability tests, basically having a lot of people make a lot of dice rolls and computing "average time to resolve."

One difference between a dice pool of d6's and a dice pool of d10's is visual processing task: filtering for a pattern of pips is easier/faster* than reading digits.

*Or should be; haven't tested it!
Well people have been playing WoD games for decades. They seem to get by OK!

Remove ads