• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Fist

Shag

Explorer
Now that Blood and Fists has been out for a while, has anyone expanded on it?

Added more styles etc?

I just got it, and it looks really cool. But I was like hey no Tai Chi!

I was surprised by that cause half the reciently realesed martial arts movies lately have Heroes that use the tai chi sword. Especially crowching tiger..

Anyone got any STUFF?

Roudi

First Post
BNF2: Honk Kong Knights details Tai Chi, as well as dozens of other styles (like several popular karate and kung fu variants, of which Tai Chi is one). It also includes some wrestling (including Lucha Libre, Mexican masked wrestling!) Three new variants of Fencing, and an enticing little Equilibrium-esque style called Gun Fu. There's much more in the book. If you have the original Blood & Fists, I'd heartily recommend Hong Kong Knights.

Also, RPGObjects' Modern Dispatch weekly subscription PDF has been known to release new BNF material.

Shag

Explorer
ack!
No I had no idea there was another one!

Thanks!

I was just at that site and didn't see anything on that at all.

Must be blind!

ledded

Herder of monkies
Our group playtested for BnF:Hong Kong Knights, and it is an excellent continuation of a very good original product. Not just more of the same stuff, but new styles, feats, rules, etc. If you have the first one, it is very much worth your time to get the second.

Having played through quite a few of the different archetypes in the books during our testing, I can tell you that if you like martial arts campaigns in d20 Modern, this book is indispensable.

Plus, it's got ninjas. :)

Shag

Explorer
Okay I got the second one, but when I think of Tai chi, I mostly think of the Tai Chi sword styles.

What stuff would Lu Mu Bai use?

Vigilance

Explorer
I believe Wing Chun would be the closest style in the books to what you're looking for. It was included as a representative Chinese style that encorporates weaponless and weapon combat. It has Archaic Weapons- Chinese on its bonus feat list.

Keep in mind that virtually every form of Kung Fu can be correctly called Tai Chi, I picked one, Tai Chi Chu'an since it is one of the most prevalent martial arts in the world.

Also, since there are about 100,000 styles, this is why I give people the tools to make their own styles. If Wing Chun isn't close enough for you, it should be simple enough to make a new style to cover the feel you're looking for.

Glad you are enjoying the books so far :)

Chuck

ledded

Herder of monkies
Vigilance said:
<snip>
Also, since there are about 100,000 styles, this is why I give people the tools to make their own styles. If Wing Chun isn't close enough for you, it should be simple enough to make a new style to cover the feel you're looking for.
<snip>
And herein is the thing that makes it worth the price alone; a lucid and usable system for creating what *you* think a martial art should be within a framework set up to make it easy to balance the style against all the others. Kudos there, Vig.

As soon as I got it, I created my own kenjutsu style based on the style that I had practiced for six years, and it only took about 15 minutes once I had understood the method for doing so (which didnt take long either).

Vigilance

Explorer
Thanks man :)

As I read more about martial arts, I began to realize that each Dojo was a style unto itself. The master of the Dojo might have studied 90% of his time with a high flying Tae Kwon Do Master... but he also studied some Tiger Kung Fu and sees the usefulness of ground fighting.

Thus the system had to support infinite diversity or I'd be answering emails on new styles for the rest of my life ;)

When you combine the ability to make your own style, with combination styles and Sensei-specific styles from BNF II, I really think the system allows for everything from Bodidharma to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Sensei class in BNF II really brings that point home where each master CREATES his own new style as he goes. My players loved this because it gave them a way to create their own style, I loved it because it allowed me to create that mysterious Master Po (Kung Fu reference) or Lei Kung the Thunderer (Iron Fist reference) mysterious Sensei you always see in martial arts stories and have him mean something mechanically.

There really can be a master in a campaign who can teach you something you can't learn anywhere else.

Slightly off topic, but the fantasy version of BNF is about to begin major design.

Chuck

Peterson

First Post
Okay, so it sounds like B&F I & II are my next purchases....

Vigilance and Ledded - if the nice lady that lets me sleep in the same house as her and wears an expensive ring that I bought her on her left hand decides that she no longer wants me to share the house but is more than willing to keep the ring (and the house), then I plan on crashing with one of you.

Having said that, when is Fanasty B&F and/or B&F III going to be available?

Warmest regards - and I like bacon for breakfast,

Peterson

Remove ads