• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Guts II

Vigilance

Explorer
On the NCO/Officer question, I agree and I think you and I are saying the same thing in different ways. In writing the BNG books I try to write them as if the person reading it has no clue about the military- much like the person writing it ;)

Advanced skill levels for MOS are still in play, although the wording is slightly off.

The MOS Mastery feat and its Promotion bonuses is what is now referred to as "MOS skill level".

Thanks again for all the comments :)

Hinthas

Explorer
I tried submiting this on AEG's Star Gate forum but rcvd a pretty poor reception as it wasn't about "what episode Nerfherders from planet Q-Bert showed up and why is that important to galactic stability". I'm being EXCRUTIATINGLY sarcastic here but you get the point.

Originally I was only going to post the bit about PT tests (graded Physical Training tests that evaluate a soldiers physical fitness and help out with promotion points) but decided that this helped me and could help out some of you folks. So here goes...

It’s occurred to me that while I’ve done quite a lot of problem spotting, I haven’t begun to suggest any likely solutions. I’ve attempted on other posts to try to solve this problem but had it brought to my attention that they didn’t entirely fit the flavor of SG or that the suggestion was a bit long winded. So, it’s my attempt to suggest many solutions to multiple problems on this post. I’ll be referencing multiple sources verbatim, paraphrasing others, and some stuff I’m just making up. I’m presenting this to all for the good of the game. I hope you can use some part of this.

Here are some possible solutions to obstacles I’ve noticed in the game.

1) A believable TRAINING with explanations.
2) Realistic PROMOTION process
3) Recognizing the actions of the character with AWARDS
4) The option to advance enlisted characters through NCO schools
5) A possible solution of an OCS school

Here’s to training…

BARE BONES

WK 1

Day 1 SALUTE report / React to Mines and Booby traps

Day 2 Rifle range / Grenade range

Day 3 Personnel search and seizure / Resist torture

Day 4 Grenade Launcher / Pistol 9mm

Day 5 Bare Bones FTX 1

WK 2

Day 1 First aid / Moving wounded personnel

Day 2 Combative / Knife fighting

Day 3 Flora and Fauna / Calling ARTY support

Day 4 CIENER "Master key" shotgun / Explosives

Day 5 Bare Bones FTX 2

SALUTE report: Size, Activity, Location, Unit or Uniform, Time or Terrain, and Equipment. This report should use the Gather Information skill and is usually sent to the unit HQ element (Team Leader, Task Force Cdr, SGC).

React to Mines and Booby traps: see SG core book pgs: 397, 437 - 439

Rifle range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for rifles are as follows:

PRONE SUPPORTED - 50M @ 0 DC, 75M @ 0 DC, 100M @ 5 DC, 125M @ 5 DC, 150M @ 5 DC, 175M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 275M @ 15 DC, 300M @ 15 DC. X 2 (this means in a "foxhole”)

PRONE UNSUPPORTED - 50M @ 2 DC, 75M @ 2 DC, 100M @ 7 DC, 125M @ 7 DC, 150M @ 7 DC, 175M @ 12 DC, 200M @ 12 DC, 250M @ 12 DC, 275M @ 17 DC, 300M @ 17 DC. X 2 (this means flat on the ground with no forward support for the weapon.)

The total number of targets shot will be forty. Add the totals of both iterations and score them. Totals 24-30 are Marksman, 31-36 is Sharpshooter, and 37-40 is Expert.

Grenade range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for grenades are as follows:

Engage four 5ft area targets ranged 15M @ 10 DC.

The total number of targets engaged will be four. Grenade scores are: ¼ NO/GO retry, 2/4 Marksman, ¾ Sharpshooter, 4/4 Expert.

Personnel Search and Seizure: see SG core book pgs: 229-230

CONCENTRATION: Resist Torture (Trained Only)
Centering the mind and maintaining focus are key strategies in resisting torture or other means of forceful coercion. When trying to resist torture, a character with at least one rank in Concentration may make a Concentration check against DC 20. If the roll is successful, the character may add the margin of success as a bonus to his Will Save to resist giving in to his captors. This bonus is applicable to resiting the coercive effects of the Goa'uld Ribbin Device.
Though any character can normally make a Concentration check untrained, this use of the skill is only possible for characters who possess at least one rank in the skill.

Grenade Launcher range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for Grenade Launcher are as follows:

Engage eight 5ft area targets at the following ranges.
UNSUPPORTED – 100M @ 15 DC, 150M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 300M @ 10 DC, 350M @ 10 DC, 400M @ 10 DC, 450M @ 15 DC

The total number of targets engaged will be eight. Grenade Launcher scores are: 4/8 Marksman, 6/8 Sharpshooter, and 8/8 Expert.

Pistol 9mm range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for Pistol 9mm are as follows:

Bare Bones FTX 1: The various FTX’s (Field Training Exercises) are a culmination of the prior weeks training and can also reflect subjects learned in previous training weeks. All FTX’s are not scripted to allow for GM control but should reflect learned training. Any of the training can be skills already known or inspiration checks.

First aid: see SG core book pgs: 138, 190, 210-211, and 214.

Moving wounded personnel: see SG core book pgs: 286

Here an example that I did with my buddy Kim.

He has a Navy SEAL named Carl "Rock" Rockridge. His SEAL is an enlisted E-3 and a lvl 1 scout.

PT TEST
His SEAL has a combined score of 44 when I added his STR, DEX, and CON scores. All of the attributes are used in the "REAL" when doing a real world PT test.

STR 15
DEX 14
CON 15
Equals 44

I started with a flat point total (120) and progressed points on the roll of a d20.

Roll of + 120 pts:
1-5 = 0 (00) = 120 pts (does not pass PT test, are you even alive?)
6-7 = .5 (22) = 142 pts (does not pass PT test, tired, hungover, sick)
8-9 = 1 (44) = 164 pts (does not pass PT test, see above, not trying hard enough)
10-11 = 1.5 (66) = 186 pts (pass PT test, just barely troop! Paperwork WILL follow!)
12-13 = 2 (88) = 206 pts (pass PT test, this does not look good, try harder YOU!!!)
14-15 = 2.5 (110) = 230 pts (pass PT test,spend a little more time in the gym, fella.)
16-17 = 3 (132) = 252 pts (pass PT test, Not bad, could be better though.)
18-19 = 3.5 (154) = 274 pts (pass PT test, Good job, have a three day pass.)
20 = 4 (176) = 296 pts (pass PT test, Great job !, schools and promotions coming your way.)

Kim rolled a 16. He scored 252 pts on his PT test.

WEAPONS QUAL
Rifle range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for rifles are as follows:

PRONE SUPPORTED - 50M @ 0 DC, 75M @ 0 DC, 100M @ 5 DC, 125M @ 5 DC, 150M @ 5 DC, 175M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 275M @ 15 DC, 300M @ 15 DC. X 2 (this means in a "foxhole”)

PRONE UNSUPPORTED - 50M @ 2 DC, 75M @ 2 DC, 100M @ 7 DC, 125M @ 7 DC, 150M @ 7 DC, 175M @ 12 DC, 200M @ 12 DC, 250M @ 12 DC, 275M @ 17 DC, 300M @ 17 DC. X 2 (this means flat on the ground with no forward support for the weapon.)

The total number of targets shot will be forty. Add the totals of both iterations and score them. Totals 24-30 are Marksman, 31-36 is Sharpshooter, and 37-40 is Expert.

Thrown Grenade range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for grenades are as follows:

Engage four 5ft area targets ranged 15M @ 10 DC.

The total number of targets engaged will be four. Grenade scores are: ¼ NO/GO retry, 2/4 Marksman, ¾ Sharpshooter, 4/4 Expert.

Grenade Launcher range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for Grenade Launcher are as follows:

Engage eight 5ft area targets at the following ranges.
UNSUPPORTED – 100M @ 15 DC, 150M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 300M @ 10 DC, 350M @ 10 DC, 400M @ 10 DC, 450M @ 15 DC

The total number of targets engaged will be eight. Grenade Launcher scores are: 4/8 Marksman, 6/8 Sharpshooter, and 8/8 Expert.

BADGES AND MEDALS

With any of these scores, I've assigned a point value for different qualification totals:
SCORE EFFECT
Failure to qualify : 0 pts +0 on Promo checks
Marksman : 0 pts +0 on Promo checks until next rank
Sharpshooter: 1 pts +1 on Promo checks until next rank
Expert: 2 pts +2 on Promo checks until next rank

Here's a quote out of the Blood and Guts book pertaining to medals from page 49.
"As characters gain skill and perform heroic deeds, they will be granted medals, commendations, and badges to recognize their service to their country."

And another one from the same page.
"A medal check is rolled on a d20, modified by your charisma modifier, along with specific criteria listed under the medal itself. Medals may not be awarded unless you could actually meet or exceed the DC on a roll of 20 or less ( in other words, a natural 20 is not an automatic success)."

There are more medals and criteria in the book, these are some examples that fit the format.

MEDAL EFFECT
AAM (DC 14) +1 on Promo checks until next rank
ARCOM (DC 16) +2 on Promo checks until next rank, +1 on future checks

We had a successful adventure and medals were awarded (after successful criteria checks) to deserving characters. Kim's guy being one of them. He received an AAM or Army Achievement Medal (the CO was an ARMY officer).

PROMOTIONS
Lets look at Kim's SEAL again, Rock. I'm thinking about promoting him. According to the promotion check formula in the Blood and Guts book:

Promotion Check = 1d20 + CHA Mod + 1/2 lvl + misc bonus.
Character meets or exceeds the check for the Promotion DC.
May not advance more than one rank per lvl.

this is how I'm going to approach the process.
KIM: +1 (CHA mod)
+.5 (1/2 lvl)
+1 (Sharpshooter on M-4 weapons qual)
+2 (Expert on Thrown Grenade)
+0 (Marksman on Grenade Launcher)
+3 (PT test score)
+1 (AAM
Equals 8.5

Kim rolls a 10. That plus his 8.5 is an 18.5. He needed to beat a DC 17 for promotion to Petty Officer third class (E-4)

NCO SCHOOLS
(see the B & G pg 45)

OCS
(see the B & G pg 45)

Hope this helps out.

Last edited:

Hinthas

Explorer
The above stuff was chopped from this original concept that I had for a STARGATE campaign. Apparently the idea that I was making the game "realistic" (Isn't the Air Farce still a branch of the military?) and "too" military fell on deaf ears and they were baffled by my assumptions. Who knew?

With all the training listed, this would allow for characters that turned down the "offer" to explore other "RAINBOW SIX" type mission. Or playing with the guys in the CIA or any other alphabet organization...like the NID. Hmmm...

Ft Bragg

Wk 1
Day 1 Welcome Brief / Assign Quarters
Day 2 Equip Issue / First Aid
Day 3 Read Military Map / Radio Procedures
Day 4 Weapon Issue and Familiarization / Threats and ROE
Day 5 Range: M-4 Rifle / Grenades

Wk 2
Day 1 Salute Report / Camouflage and OCOKA
Day 2 React to: Mines and Boobytraps / React to: Ambush and Snipers
Day 3 Patrolling with checkpoints / MOUT
Day 4 Personnel Search / Law of War
Day 5 FTX: Snatch and Grab with checkpoints

Camp Mackall

Wk 3
Day 1 Mv to Cp Mackall / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Negotiation / Insurgency
Day 3 Range: Masterkey Shotgun / Grenade Launcher
Day 4 Flora and Fauna / Set snares and Fishing Traps
Day 5 FTX: Recover the Kermit with checkpoints

Wk 4
Day 1 FAV familiarization / FAV maintenance
Day 2 Combatives / Knife Fighting
Day 3 Field Craft
Day 4 Call for Arty Fire / 9 Line Medivac Request
Day 5 FTX: Son Tay Raid

MacDill AFB

Wk 5
Day 1 Mv to MacDill AFB / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Drown Proofing / Snorkel Basics
Day 3 Zodiac Boat and familiarization / Buoy Races
Day 4 Rescue Drowning Swimmer / CPR
Day 5 Kayak familiarization / Buoy Races
Day 6 Water Range: 9mm Pistol submerged / Disable water craft with explosives.

Wk 6
Day 1 Hydrography / Beachline Surveys
Day 2 S.C.U.B.A.
Day 3 Water Infiltration / Water Craft Seizure
Day 4 Aquatic and Low land Cuisine
Day 5 FTX: Stoner's Revenge
Day 6 FTX: Stoner's Revenge

Ft Bragg

Wk 7
Day 1 Mv to Ft Bragg / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Noise, Light, and Litter Discipline
Day 3 Resist Torture / SERE
Day 4 Field Expedient Techniques / Improvisation
Day 5 POW Survival

Wk 8
FTX:Robin Sage

A few things need to be addressed in the training plan. The various FTX's (field training exercises) are a culmination of the prior week's training and can also require subjects learned in previous training weeks. All FTX's are not scipted to allow for GM control but should reflect learned training.
Any of the training can be skills already known or inspiration checks.

The Snatch and Grab FTX is the first experience with a current SG member that does not reveal himself. This member is there to do an initial eval of the characters while serving as the function being the Target. Remember the first scene of the movie Air Force One? This is the concept of the mission.

Recover the Kermit FTX is a mission designed for the team to discreetly infiltrate an area, get an item, and get out. QUIETLY!

The Son Tay Raid FTX is designed for the players to get involved in the planning process of recovering POW's (more SG team members) at an existing ramshackle prison but too much planning can backfire and the POW's will be moved to another location and "disappear".

Stoner's Revenge FTX is designed for the characters to experience "Brown Water" Navy techniques and start a mission with only the rubber training knives and progressively work their way up to bigger and better toys. Any of Richard Marcinko's Seal Team Books would be good fodder here.

The Robin Sage FTX is meant to have the characters as POW's and see what their reactions would be. How long do the stay? Do they contract some sort of sickness (Beri-beri)? Do they break out? Who do they contact? Are they able to liberate the other POW's in the facility? How many can they evac out? Does the facility get leveled with a good Arty strike before enemy replacements can show up?

Its up to the GM to direct the "HOW'S" of the training missions. In my game, my OPFOR is a RED SCORPION faction that speaks nothing but LATIN. They are all armed with communist bloc weaopns and equipment. The Latin language allows for the characters to have an "inside edge" and possibly tip the hand of the OPFOR in the favor of the characters. GO GO Gadget Enigma machine!

I peruse many d20 sites and feel compelled to share my findings/droppings with the audience to allow them more of a selection. I'm using a thread on toxins I found on one of the other boards to simulate the effects of the chemical agent BZ from 'Nam.(The movie Jacob's Ladder is an example of this):

The team horribly failed its mission with Tribe X from planet P4-XYZ and the locals got INCREDIBLY hostile. One of the marines from the security element (that never said a word) loaded up his M203 grenade launcher with ammo I've never seen before and pumped a few rounds into the center of the males in the tribe. The rounds just kinda popped and sprayed some sort of aerosol everywhere.

Then all the tribal males went crazy and started beating each other to a bloody pulp and worse. The tribal females weren't any better off cuz a few of the males went to violently raping them. It was horrible.

The marine commander continued to hurry everyone towards the gate and left a few snipers and spotters behind. We stayed at the gate a few hours and then the marine sniper team came back. I overheard them laughingly tell the commander that they didn't have to shoot anyone. Everyone had died from their injuries or heart failure from the BZ. The area was secured for the next step of the Operation.

It was then the Marine commander looked at me and cheerfully said that I was free to do all the research I wanted. I left my lunch on his boots and dialed up the gate.

Khorod

First Post
Hey Hinthas, you should really start a new thread for your stuff, as its a related but separate discussion.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads