• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Guts II

Breakdaddy

First Post
Vigilance said:
My mental plan, is a Special Ops unit book (which I am writing right now) and then the Combat Procedures Manual (an update of the popular optional rules section of the original BNG).

Are you considering using templates instead of prestige classes for the special operations units (which might further dilute/convolute the characters advancement process)? I am a big fan of properly constructed templates and think that with your skills as a D20 writer that you could give this a superior treatment. Either way, good luck and I look forward to my next B&G II purchase!

Vigilance

Explorer
oeverloos said:
I think I found some mistakes (sorry really didn't want to, maybe it is just me...)

p2:"We will beat back the forces of General Fjoder Fortunatov and remove his rogue government from exile." (flavour text) Maybe it's just my shaby english (and the fact that i didn't sleep since 36h), but the "remove from exile" sounds just wrong.

This could be better worded.

p4: the flavour text on the units, from level Coy up you always refer to the 2IC as the NCO, but isn't that the 2nd commander? (don't know the US terms) With us the Coy will have a captain, lt and NCO as command cell, but the lt is 2IC.
Maybe just my interpretation, but I find it hard to believe that a Brigade has a CSM as 2IC (i mean absolutly no offence to all the NCOs out here)

My impression is that this is how it works. The exact phraseology used in my source for this is "Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO".

p5: in tabel 1-1, on first level the assaulter would get voice of command, but the text gives as first class feature "tough as nails", what sounds more logical to me.
Oops just found out that the whole table is the leadership table, copy-paste error i guess.

Thanks for that. Im not sure where the tables got mixed up. We'll fix it.

That was it for now, maybe i'm just nitpicking. But i'm to tired to sleep and have to do something...

I was told by friends who've already got their copies that they like it alot, i will also like it, but now i'm just finishing the book (on my tempo)

btw: thx vig for the great work done and still doing

Thanks for the comments :)

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Breakdaddy said:
Are you considering using templates instead of prestige classes for the special operations units (which might further dilute/convolute the characters advancement process)? I am a big fan of properly constructed templates and think that with your skills as a D20 writer that you could give this a superior treatment. Either way, good luck and I look forward to my next B&G II purchase!

I think the most accurate term for what I am doing is "virtual feats".

Special Ops units (and all units) are going to work the same way Elite Units did in BNG but you won't have to actually take a feat.

If you meet the requirements for a unit, you can request a transfer to that unit (via the Requisition check mechanic). Once you have been in a unit 30 days you begin to receive training benefits (competence bonuses to certain skills, morale bonuses to certain actions). These bonuses fade 30 days after you leave the group because you are no longer engaged in the constant drilling involved.

Characters beloning to special ops units (as opposed to simply belonging to a unit) also gain the option of taking levels in BNG II's only PrC, the Special Operations Training PrC, which is only 5 levels, and completely optional (in other words a character in a special ops unit could ignore the PrC and continue working on his Recon AdC or what have you).

For non-special ops units, the concept of "elite units" is going away. Belonging to ANY unit will give bonuses to certain areas that the unit is especially skilled in. There are normal units and special ops units.

Chuck

oeverloos

First Post
Vigilance said:
My impression is that this is how it works. The exact phraseology used in my source for this is "Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO".

I agree with that, (and i appreciate the work of senior (and junior) ncos, trying to avoid being hanged by mine...) but in the text it says eg. :"Company: Approximately 5 Platoons (62 to 190 soldiers). Typically commanded by a Captain, with a First Sergeant as second in command." While it should be : "...with a 1Sgt as senior NCO."

I'm not really looking for errors, but just trying to fall asleep... Maybe i should read some courses on metalurgy...

I really like the idea off the military classes.

Vigilance

Explorer
Here's a sample to whet your appetite ;)

160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) “Night Stalkers”

The 160th was born out of the failed attempt to rescue hostage held in Iran during the Carter administration. Following this failure the Army immediately began recruiting the best pilots their service had to offer to form a new type of unit: one that would special in low-level night insertion and support of special operations units. Currently the 160th consists of four battalions but as the need for special operations forces increases as part of the global War on Terror, plans are already underway to significantly expand this vital force in USASOC. The 160th uses three main helicopters to accomplish its missions: the AH/MH-6 Little Bird, the MH-60 Pave Hawk and the MH-47E Chinook. The 160th is based out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Prerequisite: BAB 5+; Pilot 8 ranks, Spot 5 ranks; MOS Pilot, Aircraft Operation (helicopter), Exotic Firearms Proficiency- Helicopter Vehicle Weapons.

Benefit: +4 competence bonus to Pilot and Computer Use skill checks. The Night Hawks are extremely adept at night flying operations during which the pilots wear night vision goggles. Members of the 160th SOAR do not suffer the usual –4 penalty to Spot checks when wearing night vision goggles because of their extensive experience using these devices. These bonuses take effect 30 days after a character joins a unit and last until 30 days after he leaves the unit.

Vigilance

Explorer
oeverloos said:
I agree with that, (and i appreciate the work of senior (and junior) ncos, trying to avoid being hanged by mine...) but in the text it says eg. :"Company: Approximately 5 Platoons (62 to 190 soldiers). Typically commanded by a Captain, with a First Sergeant as second in command." While it should be : "...with a 1Sgt as senior NCO."

I'm not really looking for errors, but just trying to fall asleep... Maybe i should read some courses on metalurgy...

I really like the idea off the military classes.

I was told to interpret "senior NCO" as second in command.

Then again, my dad is a retired Command Sgt. Major, so take my bias as you will ;)

Chuck

oeverloos

First Post
Vigilance said:
I was told to interpret "senior NCO" as second in command.

Then again, my dad is a retired Command Sgt. Major, so take my bias as you will ;)

Chuck

Well i have two fathers: one Company Sgt Major, and one First Sgt, but as i am an officer now myself, i guess i'm also biased...

I'll try to find better proof and will post it in the future.

Vigilance

Explorer
I think this is one of those things that works differently in practice and on paper, like many things military, especially where senior NCOs are concerned.

Chuck

oeverloos

First Post
Vigilance said:
I think this is one of those things that works differently in practice and on paper, like many things military, especially where senior NCOs are concerned.

Chuck

You're absolutely correct here, without a good senior NCO, a young officers life is miserable. The platoon Sgt can really make or break the young Lt...
I will never argue that senior NCOs are best to lead platoons, they know their jobs, are trusted by the men, etc. And some fresh Lt walking in and saying how they should do things usually makes a bad start... We were always adviced to listen very well to the platoon sgt, but there always guys who forget that and start to freak when they get in power...
Problem is that you actually need oficers for the higher positions, that's what the last general of my academy always said: "were not here to train platoon commanders, but to educate future majors"...

But enough personal off topic toughts about the burden of command :)

on p27, paragraph "promotion": "(such as the Fast Track feat, earning a new skill level in a character’s MOS, or earning a Medal as the result of a mission)", the remark about the MOS skill level isn't correct in v2, maybe it should be advanced training? (The example also talks about spending skill points and advancing in mos skill levels.)

Remove ads