• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blood and Vigilance

fludogg

First Post
Hey, normally I just sit back and read these posts, but since I had so much fun playing Supers last night, I wanted to say thanks for producing a good product. Keep up the good work.

-Flu Dogg

Vigilance

Explorer
On the flight- and in general all powers, I allow a minimum of 1 round/level for spending an action point. Basically spending one allows short-term manifestation.

You could consider that a house rule I guess... but I wrote it, so I have to bear the burden of "official" rulings lol.

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
fludogg said:
Hey, normally I just sit back and read these posts, but since I had so much fun playing Supers last night, I wanted to say thanks for producing a good product. Keep up the good work.

-Flu Dogg

Thanks! Messages like this make it all worthwhile. I'll just bask in the moment if you dont mind :)

Chuck

ledded

Herder of monkies
Sorry to interrupt your basking :), but let me ask this:

If a super had Physical Absorption:ranged and Physical Deflection, then if they successfully deflected part of an attack (blast, bullet, bazooka), only the leftover dice would be applied to their absorption, correct?

For instance, Moose the brick is hit with a 5d6 blast. He successfully deflects 2 dice of it, so he would only take 3 dice. But he also has absorption, so he would only consider it a 3 die blast for absorption purposes?

Also, Physical Absorption (ranged) seemed geared mostly towards Blast-Physical attacks, but I applied it to ballistic/grenade/tank & mortar shell attacks also. In order to do that, I did a quick conversion from the damage of a weapon (i.e. an MG42 does 3d10, 5d10 when used to burst) to the closest d6 equivalent, rounding up (5d6 or 9d6 in this case), and went with the damage there. I dont want to convert all the weapons to d6, as that would break the firearms system IMO, but I didnt want to use the rule for physical melee aborption (1 point per 2 PP), as ranged damage in our game can outpace melee fairly quick (we use VP/WP and bump the die of firearms up by 1, so the MG42 does 3d10 instead of 2d10). I also didnt want the hero to equally be able to resist a pistol vs. a high-powered rifle if they both did the same number, but vastly different sized, dice of damage (3d4 pistol vs 3d10 rifle). Basically, I dont want a super to be able to shrug off a 6d6 Physical Blast attack, but get mowed down by a mook with a submachinegun (but at the same time, I dont want them to just be able to ignore firearms all together). Does that sound about right? How do you normally handle bullets/ballistic damage with Absorption (and Deflection, for that matter)?

Last edited:

Psychic Skeksis

First Post
ledded said:
Though I personally would think that $10,000,000 cash, no tax for life, and a bevy of adoring, hyper-intelligent, and sexually deprived supermodels would beat that, but that's just me ;^)

Hyper-intelligent? What for? :p

Actually, here's a dilemma: if you could choose between two anonymous supermodels OR the Olsen twins, who would you choose?

;)

Vigilance

Explorer
I actually did something different... but I like your approach better, especially for a game where supers should be threatened by high powered weapons.

Chuck

ledded

Herder of monkies
Vigilance said:
I actually did something different... but I like your approach better, especially for a game where supers should be threatened by high powered weapons.

Chuck
Cool, thanks.

I liked doing it this way because the absorbtion/deflection guys can pretty much laugh off most pistols and most submachine guns on single fire/auto fire. But a well aimed sniper shot, an accurate burst from an MG42, a flamethrower, or direct artillery/tank fire can still put a crimp in their day (unless they have mad skills at it, and roll lucky). Of course their saves and Defense are so high (with evasion) that they dance around getting totally missed by most automatic fire, grenades, flamethrowers, and small shells. So far it's been pretty entertaining... they got involved in doing a search for a specific item during the British stand at Arnhem (Operation Market Garden). Huge city area, lots of possibilities for property damage :)

So far it's been them vs. German mooks and vehicles (halftracks, tanks, spg's) which they have done well against so far... next session they will get to meet some real Der Ubermenschen...

Pierce

First Post
Yet another clarification question

Yo V!

Looks like we're going to get to play another round of Supers tonight (woot!) and I had a question left over from the previous session. My character has Desolidification which has an activation time of Full-Round and a duration of Power Level. So: I've got 5PP invested, thus after spending a full round to activate, I get to walk through (wooden) walls. After my 5 rounds are up, do I spend a full round de-activating? Or am I instantly solid again and ready to spend another full round becoming desolid again?

Thanks!

Pierce

First Post
Vigilance said:
Deactivating a power is always a free action, but one that may only be done during your action.

So those powers which have a specific duration (e.g. "Power Level") automatically deactivate (as a free action) at the beginning of your action? This is what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Remove ads