• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bloodied

Is the new bloodied rule good, bad or ugly?

• Good: its great it finally adds a bit of realism to HP

Votes: 138 82.6%
  • Bad: this is cheesy I liked HP the way they were

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • Ugly: there are better ways to accomplish the same thing

Votes: 13 7.8%

I didn't vote since I am still unclear on the mechanics involved. Some the suggestions presented may be good but the return of number crunching I thought was a goal to avoid. Now during combat one needs to watch constantly for the "half-way" point. Need more details.

PeterWeller

First Post
dougmander said:
Sorry, but I'm not on this bandwagon. I like HP as an abstraction of a PC's luck/survivability/heroic stature, thank you very much. I was hoping for less bookkeeping in 4e, not more. This is the first element of 4e I've seen that has given me cold feet.

I'm in the same boat as you about HP being an abstraction, but I like the Bloodied status because it adds a bit of granularity to the current all or nothing system. I don't think the bloodied condition adds any more realism, by the way. Also, it's pretty certain that Bloodied applies when something is at 50% or less, so it really shouldn't add much bookkeeping.

Ruvion

First Post
I remember a WotC product giving advice on designating the half way point for hp as being an important condition during the hay days of 3.x.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Sadrik said:
So, I guess the first 1/2 of the HP are sort of luck/combat skill/mojo and the second is actually your "life force". Now their seems to be ways that characters should be able to go directly to hp. For instance, the whole coup de grace thing should probably go right to the real HP not the luck/combat skill/mojo HP.

I don't think it should be interpreted as strictly as you say. I think it like: by the time you reach 1/2 HP, you've taken at least one solid blow. That hit was hard enough to affect your abilities. Or, if you've been nickel-and-dimed, then you are tired and starting to feel the pain of a thousand cuts. But HP below the 1/2 mark still represent your skill at avoiding harm, not actual life force.

Very elegant, IMO.

Remove ads