• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blue Dragons: Sand or Sea

Blue Dragons should live

• In the Sands and Deserts

Votes: 72 54.5%
  • On the Coasts and Seas

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Something Complete Different

Votes: 10 7.6%

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I actually had to go and check the books to realize that any of this changed.

Do people actually care what the books say in the habitat/climate/terrain sections? Really? I read it once, and then pretty much ignore it whenever I want to use a particular creature.

I actually had a player years ago complain when I dumped a manticore on the group in a swamp. Manticores being desert creatures obviously would never inhabit swamps was the argument. I was flabbergasted. It never even occured to me to look at the climate/terrain listing for a creature. I just never, ever cared.

If I want a blue dragon in the desert, then it's in the desert. If I want it in a moat house in the mountains, nowhere near any desert, it's in a moat house near a village nowhere near the desert.

It boggles my mind how much people seem to internalize the "canon" of D&D. :erm:

I say desert. If I want dragon-ish encounters at sea, I'll use a sea serpent. Blue in the desert makes more sense is more appealing than brown to me because I want regal predatory dragons(diving down from the clear blue desert sky), not sneaky lurker dragons(hiding in the sand in wait). I can understand other opinions on the matter, but that is mine.

Also, [fiddlerontheroof]TRADITION![/fiddlerontheroof]

Grydan

First Post
I say desert. If I want dragon-ish encounters at sea, I'll use a sea serpent. Blue in the desert makes more sense is more appealing than brown to me because I want regal predatory dragons(diving down from the clear blue desert sky), not sneaky lurker dragons(hiding in the sand in wait). I can understand other opinions on the matter, but that is mine.

Also, [fiddlerontheroof]TRADITION![/fiddlerontheroof]

I think the poll was poorly phrased; 4E didn't put blue dragons at sea, it put them on land, primarily at the coasts, though by no means limited to them:
BLUE DRAGONS BREATHE BOLTS OF LIGHTNING. They can be found anywhere but prefer to lair in coastal caves, attacking and plundering ships that sail too close.

Although highly adaptable, blue dragons often lair in coastal caves with entrances that aren't easily accessible by land.

(4E Monster Manual, page 77)

There's no real overlap with sea serpent territory going on there. Blue dragons aren't going to attack things in mid-ocean, there's nothing for them to land on and they're not aquatic.

There's also nothing there that precludes them from being in the traditional desert environments.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads