Blueholme: A Simulacrum

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
I've been working my way through the final chapter of the Compleat Rules, basically dealing with campaign design (Underworld, Wilderness and the Realm) as well as some miscellaneous referee advice. The original plan was to include samples of each of the three main elements - a maze (a.k.a. a dungeon), a regional map, and a base town. Unfortunately it looks like this will take the book beyond what I consider the "sweet spot" of around 100 pages. Not an issue while both are PDF, but when the Compleat Rules eventually become available in hardcopy, excessive page count becomes a problem. There is a solution.

While the rules and explanation will still form the core of the final chapter, the step-by-step examples will be extracted to form a (free) separate, stand-alone PDF. The logic being that, while this serves as an in-depth example as well as introductory setting and scenario, it is not something that will be referred to again and again at the table. I personally have never liked introductory adventures in the core book for that reason. The artwork for this "tutorial" module will still form part of the Indiegogo, with possibly stretch goals for a colour poster map and the like. Essentially, the rulebook and the module will still be treated as one thing as far as production goes, but the final product will be in the form of two separate PDFs.

You can read about it here: http://dreamscapedesign.net/2013/10/20/the-sample-campaign/

Last edited:

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
Nice, although I would have liked to have seen a Samurai class and centaur race just for the heck of it.
There is a centaur in the creatures chapter as well as a lot of Holmes's other favourite races, and there are rules for playing any race with any class. The reason there are no Japanese samurai nor African witch doctor or Amerindian medicine man classes is because those are too setting-specific, which is something BLUEHOLME™ avoids.

Remove ads