• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Board Games] Board Games with mutable Boards?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It depends upon what you mean by "variable."

Another vote for RoboRally, especially if you can get your hands on the expansion sets.

Several of Avalon Hill's classic games are mutable to some degree, like Feudal.

If you count a game like Scrabble as having a mutable board, take a look at AH's Acquire, as well as Mayfair's excellent train games.

Heroquest is basically a "boardgame" similar to a typical CMG. For that matter, many CMGs also have variable battlemaps.

Star Fleet Battles' battlemap- as well as a host of other space combat games, I'm sure- have a battlemap that is scenario dependent.

There are several card/tile games out there, like Waterworks or Pipeline.

Also consider games like Catherdral or Quarto...and other games by the same companies that made them in the first place.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Quoridor. Every round, you have the option to either move your piece one square, or to put down a "wall". The board starts open, and eventually becomes a maze constructed by you & your opponent. The only rule for wall placement is: your opponent must have at least one route to your end-zone.

It's tons of fun.

Cheers, -- N

Thanee

First Post
Dungeon Twister has a mutable board.

Very much so. It's called Dungeon Twister for a reason. :D

These boardgames also have a board that is set up differently each game (though doesn't change during the game):

Battlemist
Thunder's Edge
Twilight Imperium
Starcraft

They are all of a much higher complexity than Settlers, though. ;)

Bye
Thanee

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
Kings & Things!

Damnit I'd just come here to say, 'how comes nobodies mentioned kings and things yet'... was this the first? 1986, beats settlers by 9 years...

pic100191_md.jpg

Gotta get me a giant stack of things.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
There is also Dungeoneer. This is a fantasy adventure non-collectable card game from Atlas where the dungeon is built from map cards and changes from game to game.

Remove ads