• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Board Games] Board Games with mutable Boards?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
So I got to thinking about why I loved Settlers of Catan and I realized that core reason is the the board is never the same. Since a mutable board is what makes the game enjoyable for me I got to thinking if there are any other games that might have mutable boards.

Please inform me.

Wycen

Explorer
The Hero Card board game Nightmare has a mutable board.

Elasund and Candamir kinda sorta have mutable boards because you place the tiles randomly, (each has a board that defines the limits of the play area).

scitadel

First Post
Hi Reveille,

I'll add Descent: Journey's into the Dark to the mutable board system. Big, big dungeon-crawling game.

Attika has a mutable board/structure as well. Quite a fun game as both the pieces you lay down and the board itself changes each game.

Last Night on Earth and Zombies!!! are another series of mutable board games. Both Zombie themed games.

Quite a few of the popular war board games use mutable boards as well, so Battlelore, Memoir '44 and Command and Colours.

Lighter, faster playing games like Hey! That's My Fish, Balloon Cup and Elfenland also have that feature as well if I recall correctly.

arscott

First Post
The version of RoboRally I've played has a variable board setup, though I've been told that this is toned down in the newer additions.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The version of RoboRally I've played has a variable board setup, though I've been told that this is toned down in the newer additions.
The newer is mutable, just has less effective board combos (they're double-sided and fewer without crushers).

Betrayal at House on the Hill has a different house each time its played (randomly selected).

meomwt

First Post
Two classics from my teenage years (i.e. over 20 years ago!)

The Sorceror's Cave - pull cave cards from a deck, populate with random monsters, hunt for treasure. Multiple levels possible, and space a-plenty needed to accommodate the cards (especially if you use the expansion).

The Mystic Wood - fixed board size, random distribution of cards from the starts. Arthurian Knights quest in an enchanted forest, each has a different goal which may change as the game progresses. The Wood is in two halves (Earthly and Enchanted) which affects gameplay.

Asmor

First Post
You'll probably love Carcassonne

If you're looking for something a bit heavier, might I point you in the direction of Domaine.

And if you're willing to stretch a bit out of the realm of Eurogames, there's two Ameritrash wargames which you might enjoy. Starcraft is an awesome monster of a game, while Nexus Ops might be described as a cross between Risk and Settlers of Catan.

Remove ads