Board Game Suggestions

My children, D12, S10, and D8, all love playing board games with me. However, their enthusiasm for games like Battleship and Life eclipse my own. So I'm looking for suggestions on things we can play together. Either one on one or as a family. They can all handle Catan, though my 8 year old needs some help during the game. My 12 year old tried playing Spirit Island with my wife and I, but I think she was a bit overwhelmed. Hopefully that gives an idea on what complexity they can handle.

Thank you!

You mentioned boardgame but I don't have any great suggestions that would include your D8 without some assistance.
You could try Small World and Clank!
Small World lists the game for 8+ so perhaps check it out online and see if it could work for her.
Clank! is great and fantasy based. Highly recommend it but might require a year or 2 before D8 can play on her own. Again check it out online.

However there are 2 fun card games I can easily recommend:
Love Letter (there is a 4 player and a 6 player version); and
Exploding Kittens - make sure you get the junior version because there is an adult version and the art is quite graphic.

Good luck!

Carcassone, Camel Up, Century (Golem Edition is cutest), King of Tokyo (Dark is less kid themed but better game). Ticket to Ride (also like Europe) All good, not too complex and sufficiently chance based for anyone to win occasionally. My experience is that kids can follow pretty complex rules with a play through or two, they do have a harder time grasping variant strategies though.

Zombie Kids/Teens Evolution, Castle Panic, Horrified, Forbidden Desert are some good cooperative games if those work for you. Youngest can play many cooperative if you make them feel part of the team.

Edit to add Carcassone is great for introducing complexity. If the base game works for you, slowly add expansions.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The ones mentioned above are good.

For the classic board games, "This Game is Bonkers!" is still fun.

My family's go to is multiple person solitaire (the classic 1-person card game except you all play on the same aces... don't where sharp rings or expect the cards to come away unscathed or usable for any other game - only one hand at a time is allowed for putting cards up).

Jahydin

Hero
Catacombs is a fun game for kids.

It's a dungeon crawl where you flick wooden heroes at wooden monsters to deal damage. Spells and arrows are also flicked. Good times!

Catacombs.png

Remove ads