• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bonus action spells

Croejar64

First Post
Quick clarification of spells cast with a bonus action. I have read the PHB and the sage advice regarding spells cast with a bonus action and they both specifically mention if you cast a spell with a bonus action you cannot use your action to cast a spell unless it is a cantrip with the 1 action designation. My question is this....if I cast a spell with 1 action as its designated casting time first can I still use a spell with a casting designation as bonus action? Or does the order of use not matter and if you use a bonuse action spell whether cast before your action or not you are still limited to a cantrip as your action?

So example I cast Healing word as a bonus action first thing during my turn. Per rules I can only cast a cantrip if I intend to cast a spell as my action otherwise I must use something else as my action. (This is how it seems to be written in PHB and Sages advice)

Example of my question...I cast Cure wounds on someone as my action first thing on my turn, I then cast healing word as my bonus action. Is this possible or against rules? Meaning as long as my bonus action spell was cast after my initial spell used as my action.

Thanks!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I am not sure how others would rule or if there's been any official word on this, but it sounds like you have answered your own question.

From my perspective, two things:
1. A bonus action comes, in all cases, AFTER your initial/"main" action. 5e makes no such designation as a "main" or "full" action. But your primary/first action, I mean.

2. Is the spell you're casting with that initial/"main" action a cantrip?

If yes, then cast you bonus action spell. If no, then you can't. They specify it has to be a cantrip for a reason...to keep you from casting 1st level and higher spells. Asking to cast Cure Wounds + a bonus action spell, whether first or after (and, again, I would contend that you can not do it "before", the bonus action, by definition is a "bonus"...it comes after) is a No because Cure Wounds is not a cantrip.

That's how I'm reading it anyway.

But welcome to the forums! Have some start up XP.

Oofta

Legend
No. If you cast a regular spell first, you cannot cast a leveled spell. Order doesn't matter, otherwise the rule would be pretty meaningless.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
1. A bonus action comes, in all cases, AFTER your initial/"main" action. 5e makes no such designation as a "main" or "full" action. But your primary/first action, I mean.

This is untrue -- Basic Rules, p.69:

"You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action's timing is specified..." There is nothing in the rules for casting a spell with a casting time of 1 bonus action that says you have to cast such spells after taking your normal action.

An example of a bonus action where the timing is specified: using a bonus action to attack with an off-hand weapon using Two-Weapon Fighting. (Basic Rules, p.74)

2. Is the spell you're casting with that initial/"main" action a cantrip?

If yes, then cast you bonus action spell. If no, then you can't. They specify it has to be a cantrip for a reason...to keep you from casting 1st level and higher spells. Asking to cast Cure Wounds + a bonus action spell, whether first or after (and, again, I would contend that you can not do it "before", the bonus action, by definition is a "bonus"...it comes after) is a No because Cure Wounds is not a cantrip.

That's how I'm reading it anyway.

I agree with this interpretation. If you cast a spell using your action, and that spell is not a cantrip, you've effectively 'turned off' your ability to cast a bonus action spell that turn, because the rule for casting bonus action spells specifies that you can't cast another spell during the same turn you cast a bonus action spell, unless that other spell is a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

Also note that the rule for casting bonus action spells specifies that you cannot have already used your bonus action that turn -- so a rogue using Cunning Action or a character using Two-Weapon Fighting cannot also cast a bonus action spell, or any spell that would be made into a bonus action via a different ability (such as the sorcerer's Quicken Spell Metamagic ability).

--
Pauper

Remove ads