• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonuses for Player descriptions of Character Actions

Do you give/get a bonus for a good action description?

• No, we've never thought about it.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • No, It's too subjective and unbalancing.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • No, we use descriptions based upon the roll

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Yes, Occasionally for some outrageous description

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • Yes, for NPC interactions, but not for combat

Votes: 19 13.8%
  • Yes, for unimportant actions.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • All the time.

Votes: 23 16.7%

Telperion

First Post
I DEMAND spell descriptions from my players. It just makes it that much more obvious about what they are doing and what it feels/smells/looks like to do magic. For the most part I don't consider magic to be low-key unless specifically stated otherwise, or the flavor demands it.

For example if you cast Divine Strike then everyone within miles is going to know about it.

Other than that I usually accept social rolls, but then make the characters do the roleplaying anyhow. Depending on what comes out of their mouths and what they rolled I adjust the outcome, but don't force anyone to play "poorly" or "well".

hong

WotC's bitch
Gort said:
Okay Hong, I'll bite. Why did he have to make ten reflex saves in a round? :)
The group was fighting a "dragon", really a half-fiend 10-headed cryohydra. They bashed it up for a few rounds, and it took off. So the knight chased after it, forgetting about the breath weapon....

tjoneslo

First Post
Ah, drat. Forgot the drama dice option. There are several names for this: Drama dice, hero points, dramatic effect, etc. This is where the player can add to or completely redo a dice roll to get a better effect. This is to allow the hero to be heroic without fear of blowing a critical dice roll.

Does anyone have a good listing of such systems for D20? I know several game system include them as part of the system (D6 Starwars, Torg used a drama deck), but I've not seen mention of one for D20.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
tjoneslo said:
Ah, drat. Forgot the drama dice option. There are several names for this: Drama dice, hero points, dramatic effect, etc. This is where the player can add to or completely redo a dice roll to get a better effect. This is to allow the hero to be heroic without fear of blowing a critical dice roll.

Does anyone have a good listing of such systems for D20? I know several game system include them as part of the system (D6 Starwars, Torg used a drama deck), but I've not seen mention of one for D20.

Unearthed Arcana has Action Points.

gideonn

First Post
As a DM I regularly award bonuses to rolls for most skills when the player describes his actions, speaks his diplomacy, gather info, intimidate and the like. This encourages more roleplaying from everyone, including the NPCs.

While the skills were a welcomed addition to D & D, if used just as rolls, they make the game a dice based one instead of a player based one.

As far as attacks go, while a great description might add to the flavor, I don't see how it would help make the attack more effective.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I voted no, because I don't give bonuses for descriptions. However, how easy or hard something is is based on what exactly you are trying to do, so insofar as descriptions are also representations of strategy, there are both bonuses and penalties applied to actions based on them. Whether you say it entertainingly or not, charging and using smite evil gives you a bonus. No matter how cleverly you word a bluff, if its a "nearly unbelievable" one, you incure a penalty to the opposed check. Similarly for looking for vines or a jagged area to climb a cliff rather than going straight up or other descriptions which also indicate an attempt to strategicly address the problem. For this reason, accurate descriptions are better than "I attack" or "I bluff" and once you're being accurate you might as well be entertaining... but no mechanical bonuses for that aspect.

Kahuna Burger

Wombat

First Post
Since our group prefers getting into character to getting into combat, we hand out awards like this fairly frequently -- if someone does something massively "in character" or "excessively cool", we tip the dice in their favour. In essence, if you, as a character, make the story more enjoyable to the group, you get a bennie. :)

This sometimes leads to some pretty wild and freeform sessions, which is something we love.

Story first; rules second ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I voted no - use the die roll because IMG, the DM gives the description of how a die roll looks.

Also, we have a disparity in D&D experience and ability at our table. Therefore, we try to keep the subjective awards to a minimum since those with less experience and/or a different level of comfort with the game do not feel like their missing out, or don't belong.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads