Book of Lost Spells On Sale Now

It's out? Cool! And now I'm *really* nervous! :) Cheers!

Nebulous

Legend
I'd have to say that 3rd level seems a bit high for being only resistant to Bashing damage and also a concentration. If the caster put it on their self and took 8 damage. they take 4 and still have to make a Concentration check. Really hate the Concentration mechanic but that's a problem with the spell system as a whole.

What would the Con DC be in that example?

Shadow Demon

Explorer
What would the Con DC be in that example?

I would go with the following but others may consider something else.

"The DC equals 10 or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher." The DC would be 10 from any single bludgeoning source that is 43 or less. ( 43/2 = 21.5 with resistance, 21/2 = 10.5)

HarrisonF

Explorer
I bought the PDF last night and have been reading through it (gone through the Cantrips and 1-3rd level spells in depth so far).

I am really liking it for most classes that needed more fleshing out. Examples of areas of spells that I think are good:

* Dragon sorcerers getting more than just Fire as an option (or directly reskinned fire spells)
* Rangers getting spells to enhance their animal companion
* Paladins getting spells to enhance their shield and do more interesting things than just smite

The only spell I have seen so far that seems somewhat broken is Caustic Spittle, but I can see it going poorly as well, so I can see the balancing of it.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Caustic spittle is one of those really unusual spells that requires a fair bit of judgement to use well. There are so many things that can go wrong with it. The trade-off between increasing the damage and requiring concentration to hold it gives rise to some really fun situations for the DM. (You're holding caustic spittle? Well then, have 5 arrows directed at you!) Of course, no DM would ever be so unkind to the player! And of course, the combat might actually end before you use it!

I'm DMing an ice sorcerer in my Tyranny of Dragons campaign, so making sure there were more spells she could use at lower levels was something I was considering during the assembling of the spells. (Not that she could, it being a D&D AL game, but the principle remained.

99.9% of the spells are conversions of ones that existed in previous NG/FGG products, but there are times I only kept the name and a vague idea of how it worked - the mechanics were completely new.

The trickiest spells to convert were the enhancement spells. Honestly, there just aren't enough examples in the game so far, especially at the higher levels. So, I'm very interested to learn how people find them in play.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'd have to say that 3rd level seems a bit high for being only resistant to Bashing damage and also a concentration. If the caster put it on their self and took 8 damage. they take 4 and still have to make a Concentration check. Really hate the Concentration mechanic but that's a problem with the spell system as a whole.

I'd far rather use the spell on a fighter in the front line against a golem. Especially on a fighter with heavy armour mastery. :)

But yes, it's a fairly simple effect. And very hard to work out an appropriate level for.

Cheers!

Yes! Purchasing now...

Edit: I'm really liking it so far. May use Adamantine Bones for some of my villains' minions.

Nitpick: the 3rd level Bard/Cleric spell Air of Nobility is strictly inferior to the 2nd-level Bard/Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer spell Enhance Ability (Charisma).

Edit2: Eldritch Knights will loooove Blade Song. Privately I will think of this spell as "Create Lightsaber". :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads