• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Names

"I need a name...AN ORGINAL NAME!" How many times have DMs, players, writers and designers mouthed that sentence. Well wait no more. This is the ultimate book of names. With over 100,000 names, name generators and more this source book is a must have for any game designer or writer. A veritable host of nationalities and cultures are covered from Indian, Korean and Mongol to Aztec and Mayan. From Medieval English to Spanish, from the fantastic to the mundane, from Italian, Jewish, Polynesian and more this extraordinary collection covers it all. Furthermore, a whole chapter is dedicated to place names and another to epithets. For the d20 enthusiast a new core class, the Onomancer comes to life with new rules on the magic of names and the naming conventions used by your world’s powerful magi. Gary Gygax’s Extraordinary Book of Names, the fourth book in the Gygaxian Fantasy World series, is the definitive name generator for any world, setting, adventure, story, book or tale you can imagine. This one is a must have.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Names are a small part of a character. A name doesn't confer with it any special abilities or statistics, but it is something that identifies the character to the other players and the game master. For me, I've had a few sources for names that range from role playing aids and articles in The Rifter and Dragon Magazine (anyone remember “What do you mean Jack the Samurai?), to The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook and 20,0001 Names for Baby.

Despite these resources, I'm always on the lookout for sources of names. With that in mind, I picked up the Extraordinary Book of Names at my local weird store, Something Wicked, in Evanston. It's supposed to be the ultimate source of names “With over 100,000 names, name generators and more”.

In a nutshell, good idea, good resource, poor execution and high price. At 208 black and white pages, the price isn't too bad at $34.95, but the interior is an ugly mess. Names aren't laid out in column or table style, but in paragraph style. The organization is useful, broken up by different regions and uses, but still falls on a lot of old advice and standbys. For example, descriptors. Old hat stuff like the cruel, the merciless, and other standard words. Not names, but everyday descriptor words.

The art and layout are another sore sport. In a book of names, is it really necessary to have all of this wood cut style art? I don't like it in Fast forward Products and I don't like it here. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't need a page telling me that this is the Extraordinary Book of Names, nor a blank page (page 5), nor whole page chapter breaks with a good quote on them. Internal advertising isn't as bad as some Sword and Sorcery books with one page for Troll Lord products and another page for Reaper miniatures. Interior covers aren't used.

The layout suffers due to the unusual spaces between headings. For example, Character Names looks like it was broken into two sections, one for each column, a problem suffered by almost every heading. The use of one paragraph breaking into two paragraphs on the same page is also highly distracting.

The good news is that the coverage is comprehensive. If you play Oriental Adventures or Nyambe, you'll find names on Asia, broken up into Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Mongol and Tibetan. Africa gets African, Berber and Ancient Egyptian. Good for those games and settings that are different than the standard.

One thing that done well was the use of places, epithets, titles and groups. Nothing too special, but a good listing of different titles and ideas on coming up with names. Some of it a little too standard but good for newcomers to the hobby or writer's without a lot of time to flip through different resources. For people who own several books of names and want more, the bibliography is fairly inclusive and includes authors, names, date of publication. Good stuff.

For me, part of the problem is that when I was a younger role player, I had a resource on names that were all fantastical. They broken the names down by class, according to the old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules. So you had Fighters, Monks, Half-Orcs and Monsters and other goods. This was a comb bound book that I've copied over four times and I currently own only the copies. The art in there stunk but it was easy to use and easy to reference.

For the newcomer to the game or to the collector, the names here will prove invaluable. The background on names, the methodology of naming and other resources and truly valuable for such a Game Master, player or even writer. For someone more experience whose already familiar with naming conventions and is looking for a crisp clean and easily readable book, this one doesn't cut it.

PenguinX

First Post
Is it just me or does $35 for a book of names seem a little steep. I have more respect for Gary Gygax than I will ever be able to express. But I was profoundly disappointed to see his name put to this. As a PDA resource for a few dollars, or even in print for a few dollars more, I could accept, however I would rather have a character with no name (sic) than pay $35. Sorry.

JoeGKushner

First Post
That's one of the reasons for the three star rating. It's a useful tool and I'm sure I'll use it often, but of the four books of names I have, this is the most expensive.

nall

First Post
could you compare this book to The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook? i don't have either, but do have trouble with names and would like to get a book on the subject.

ssampier

First Post
I'll admit it. I have trouble coming with good names. Most of my characters names are fairly generic modern names such as (Susan or Adrianna) or too complex to mention (gnomes and elves especially). Thirty-five dollars ($35) for a book of dubious value? Ouch! I would pay $10, $15, maybe, but $35 is just ridiculous.

Mythmere1

First Post
The Extraordinary Book of Names, by Malcolm Bowers, is Volume IV of Gary Gygax's Fantasy Worlds Series by Troll Lord Games. There are few things in the creation of a vibrant fantasy world than the names - place names, in particular, since the bad or stupid ones have an annoying tendency to become and remain the center of action for many adventures - an odd phenomenon that merits research.

The book is centered upon a very sound premise - that names evoke cultural resonances, and that it adds considerably to the "true ring" of a campaign if the GM has some sort of naming rule and conventions. Tolkien, a master of language, delivered the world's most elegant demonstration of this art, and Mr. Bowers sets forth to give the average GM off the street the rudimentary tools of Tolkien's methodology.

The main bulk of the book contains vast lists of names organized by cultural origin (or, to be precise, cultural occurrence). These are delivered in paragraph, rather than table format, to save space. Given the amount of data, this was probably the right choice, but it is jarring for a moment. The benefit of using cultural grouping is immediately apparent - it is, I think, true that you can add to your campaign's internal consistency by consistently using names from a small group of cultures. It is worth getting past the immediate "why isn't this in table format" moment.

It is worthwhile, even for a GM with a good ear for language, to peruse the essays that accompany the raw data. These essays are the next step in using the name lists, and they offer some useful general guidelines that aren't necessarily apparent from the lists themselves, e.g.: "/-p/ after a short vowel suggests quickness or shortness: blip, bop, chop..." (p. 20). -OR- "The Anglo-Saxons had no family names. Their personal names were usually formed from a pair of stock vocabulary elements; meanings were mostly ignored." (p. 28).

The section on place names is very good, since it gives the meanings of many of the prefixes, suffixes, and root words for geographic elements for several languages.

All in all, this is a very useful book. I found the organization of sections a bit difficult (I'm not sure how I could have done it better, but still), and I didn't like the illustrations - they are period woodcuts, and I'm not fond of that. If you, as a GM, don't have a good hardcopy naming resource, this book will definitely be worth your time and money.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads