• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of NineSwords

Drowbane

First Post
Darklone said:
Scorching Ray is broken ;)?
While reading ENworld, I utter that same phrase on a regular basis... just switch out "scorching ray" with whatever is new and unusual.

Some old favorites "monk is broken??", "radiant servant of pelor is broken?", "warlock is broken?", "reserve feats are broken?"...

jasin said:
Well, paladins can get pretty insane...

True, and I've also seen some gnarly barbarian critical hits. It would have been more accurate for me to say I've never seen anyone regularly deal out as much damage as a high-level fighter with the right feat choices.

Klaude dOrien

First Post
.. agree with most of the above posts but I do think Bo9S classes, or specifically Swordsages which I have seen in action, look particularly good compared to the Core classes at level 1 (a bunch of manuevers and weapon focus) and level 5 (3rd level manuever and stance e.g. assasins stance + burning blade + death mark easily =2d6 (greatsword) +4 (Str) +2 (Wis) + 1 (magic)+ 2d6 (sneak) + d6+5 (burning blade) + 6d6 (death mark) = 11d6+12 (assume hit, fails reflex save, no protection vs fire)

Belbarid

First Post
Klaude dOrien said:
.. agree with most of the above posts but I do think Bo9S classes, or specifically Swordsages which I have seen in action, look particularly good compared to the Core classes at level 1 (a bunch of manuevers and weapon focus) and level 5 (3rd level manuever and stance e.g. assasins stance + burning blade + death mark easily =2d6 (greatsword) +4 (Str) +2 (Wis) + 1 (magic)+ 2d6 (sneak) + d6+5 (burning blade) + 6d6 (death mark) = 11d6+12 (assume hit, fails reflex save, no protection vs fire)

That's the impression that I got. Now, I did also catch that maneuvers can only be used once per encounter without refocusing (or whatever), so it seems like another class with a powerful attack that can be used a limited amount. Rather similar to a Duskblade like that.

And some of the ninth level maneuvers were downright scary.

DarkJester

First Post
My feeling is that most of the stuff in Bo9s is more easy to tweak to make monstrous characters than most other sources, though other sources allow similar power for most other classes. However, having said that, I find them far to cool to not allow them in my games, and simply work with the players the same as I would any other class to make sure they are in line with the other pc's.

kaomera

Explorer
Belbarid said:
What are your experiences? Thoughts? Derisive Laughter?
They ought to be fairly powerful, but in the hands of players who are not really experienced / competent with both melee and spell-casting classes they proved to be overwhelming, resulting in poor resource management and therefore they seemed pretty weak overall.

brehobit

Explorer
OK, thesis time.

The Bo9S classes appear to me to be significantly unbalanced at levels 1-5, and mildly balanced in the 6-8 range. I don't have any in-game experience past that. Oddly, the warblade is likely the least powerful of the Bo9S classes at all levels.

At lower levels these classes can use their strikes without losing multiple attacks (they, and everyone else, don't get them). So using a strike has no disadvantage at all at levels 1-5. As the 2nd level and above strikes can be very powerful (+2d6 damage, ignore DR being one of the best) this benefit is quite significant. At 5th level deathmark becomes available for swordsages. 6d6 fireball (needs an attack to hit, can use once per fight) in a 10' radius PLUS your normal damage is pretty darn huge at 5th level. The sorc. or warmage can't even cast a fireball at this level, and a medium BAB warrior type is doing it every fight.

Further, the low-level stances are very nice indeed for swordsages and crusaders. At 2nd level a swordsage can chose between flanking from any angle (so any 2 or more people next to the same target are always flanking) or gain the ability to freely move through rough terrain and take a +2 to attack anyone in rough terrain. In my experience both of these are very useful during levels 1-4. And the level 3 stances for a swordsage are huge. +2d6 sneak attack is really nice. Crusaders do quite well with healing 2 hps per hit at these levels.

Finally, the misc. bonuses are very significant. The damage absorption ability of a crusader means that they are often attacking at +1 attack, +1 damage at levels 3-5 or so. Adding your Wisdom to AC in light armor has a large impact and at lower levels leaves the monk in the dust (the swordsage will generally have a +4 AC advantage over a monk at levels 2-5). The crusader's ability to reroll one save a day is not as huge at these levels as it will be, but it can be hugely important.

At higher levels, a number of these issues go away. Strikes become balanced against multiple attacks. Stances become balanced by having only one active at a time (where other classes get weaker abilities that each can be used at the same time). The cool class abilties tend not to get that much more cool at higher levels. But these classes are very powerful at levels 1-5. And IMO, still slightly above the bar past those levels.

IME, warrior classes tend to dominate casters in effectiveness until level 5 or so when casters start to dominate. the Bo9S just exaggerates the problem on the low end while providing only mild relief on the high end.

The system, powers and rules ARE very cool however, which is why I generally allow them in my games. But broken? I'd have to say yes at lower levels....

Mark

Arkhandus

First Post
Klaude dOrien said:

....Not really, from my experiences. A Swordsage at 1st-level is a Monk with slightly better AC and skill points, stunning attack and flurry replaced with maneuvers, weapon focus in place of raw unarmed fighting ability and one one stronger save on the Monk's part.

Also, regarding your example: that would be a round-1 trick maybe, but then they'd be out two maneuvers for the rest of the battle and doing more equitable damage each round after that. They'd also have to be flanking or surprising the foe to use Assassin's Stance for any benefit. And the invisibility maneuver would only give them one more round of Assassin's Stance usefulness (sans the Death Mark and Burning Blade additions, though).

BTW: I've seen a twinked ECL 3 Fire Genasi mage do about 5 or 6 dice of damage in one round with a broken spell from the Spell Compendium (using that feat that gives them a single 2nd-level spell per day, until they get to be high enough level to just add it to their normal spells known) that had an absurdly high save DC (somewhere between 19 and 21) for such a low-level spell. After incinerating the 2 hit die gnolls in that blast, he incinerated another batch of gnolls with a Burning Hands that was effectively 3rd or 4th level caster (so 4 dice or so of damage) as a result of his feats and such. There's no telling what this guy would've done once he got enough levels to start hurling Scorching Rays or Fireballs, had the campaign lasted that long.

Swordsages get WF but have no BAB at 1st-level, so they're less accurate than a Fighter. Also fewer HP and some MAD like a Monk (especially if they want to make good use of more than just a few disciplines; being good at Shadow Hand demands good Dex, being good at Stone Dragon demands Str, being good at Diamond Mind demands Con, their base Swordsage abilities demand good Wisdom, etc.). The lower BAB and the MAD means they're likely to be doing less consistent damage than a Fighter or Barbarian (no use for Power Attack when you're accuracy is mediocre to begin with and your Strength is most likely mediocre as well), even though they may do more damage in a few rounds before the Fighters or Barbarians get the chance to full-attack.

And each maneuver can only be used once per battle, unless the Swordsage spends a full round refreshing that maneuver rather than attacking (or readying a new set of maneuvers as a full round if they spent a feat on Adaptive Style, which is practically required for any Swordsage who means to be effective beyond the first few rounds or half-dozen rounds of battle; depending on how many boosts/counters he/she readies as opposed to strikes).

I've played alongside someone using a Swordsage from 1st to 4th level (sadly, the campaign had to end once we reached 4th, as the DM moved out of the state). He was quite reasonable in abilities. He got his AC to be pretty good by focusing on it, but did only a little more damage than my Halfling Copper-Dragon Shaman (on average; he'd do slightly or moderately more damage in one round, then similar damage to my DS for the rest of the battle, with similar accuracy). My Dragon Shaman was tougher and kept the whole party alive, while his Swordsage was only good at keeping himself alive through good AC. He had more skills and was a bit harder to hit, for sure, but anyone could see that my Dragon Shaman was contributing more to the party's success and survival.

A Cleric would've been in the same situation as my Dragon Shaman in that regard; more useful to the party as a whole and nearly as effective in melee. I think we were fairly evenly matched in effectiveness, though he was a bit superior in short battles; and Dragon Shamans are a bit weak really, at least for the first few levels (especially those with Copper Dragons as their totem, as I found out :( ). Had I been playing a Cleric rather than trying out a newer class for the heck of it, I probably would've been a little more effective. .....Or if I had played a half-orc, Strength-focused Red Dragon Shaman that was devoted to melee power, rather than eventual effectiveness with breath weapons and healing touches. :heh:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Regarding the first few levels of play: that's exactly when the Swordsage and Warblade most miss having proficiency with bows -- it's exactly when Rapid Shot is most effective, but also, it's before the party Wizard can cast fly on you so you can get into melee with that pesky flying harpy, or that annoying tree-climbing aranea, or those darn goblins on that ledge up there.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads