• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of NPCs 2.0

CapnZapp

Legend
I meant that PDFs are not available for new books. The Book of NPCs 2.0 is based on the books that were available in PDF. When PH3 comes, I will need to take an entirely new approach. That means throwing out most of what I did before and starting from scratch (rather depressing).
Hopefully by that time WotC have overcome their stupid panic reaction and started to sell PDFs again.

Of course, if I were you, and I had purchased the PHB3, I wouldn't hesitate finding and using a digital copy and then simply claiming I had entered all the numbers by hand. *shrug*

CapnZapp

Legend
Because there are no official rules for PHB2 NPCs yet, I had to make some educated guesses for what roles and features to use for these NPCs. Here is what I am currently going with:

• Avenger NPC: Skirmisher; Armor of Faith, oath of enmity
  • Barbarian NPC: Brute; Barbarian Agility, Feral Might
  • Bard NPC: Controller (Leader); Bardic Virtue, majestic word, Skill Versatility
  • Druid NPC: Controller; Balance of Nature (one beast at-will, one non-beast), Primal Aspect, wild shape
  • Invoker: Artillery; Divine Covenant
  • Shaman NPC: Controller (Leader); Companion Spirit (which determines the shaman’s at-will), healing spirit
  • Sorcerer NPC (Dragon Magic): Artillery; Draconic Power, Draconic Resilience
  • Sorcerer NPC (Wild Magic): Skirmisher; Chaos Power, Unfettered Power
  • Warden NPC: Brute; Font of Life, Nature’s Wrath (one of Warden’s Fury or Warden’s Grasp)
I made barbarians and wardens into brutes. For barbarians, it makes sense because they are high-damage, low defense. Surprisingly, wardens are not sure a good fight, but I did it anyway since wardens are supposed to have more hit points.
How does these guesses stack up to the DMG2 data, btw?

And do you have any plans to add the Swordmage and Artificer? :)

buddhafrog

First Post
You have been immortalized in my game. My PC's have just entered Medan, a river town critical in determining the direction the quest will take.

The governor of Medan?

Paul Strack. Charisma 20

Last edited:

buddhafrog

First Post
There are several races (Tiefling, Orcs, etc) that are listed in the index but have no monster/character info. Is there a plan to complete these?

SabreCat

First Post
Great stuff as always. Hurrah for the Book of NPCs!

I see you no longer have house rules regarding how much XP these opponents are worth. I take it you decided they are about worth a normal monster's challenge after all, or that the difference in difficulty wasn't enough to merit the added houserule complexity?

Last edited:

Paul Strack

First Post
Great stuff as always. Hurrah for the Book of NPCs!

I see you no longer have house rules regarding how much XP these opponents are worth. I take it you decided they are about worth a normal monster's challenge after all, or that the difference in difficulty wasn't enough to merit the added houserule complexity?

Yes, I decided NPCs were not much more threatening than a normal monster, so I dropped the XP house rules. They do have more powers, but they often don't live long enough to use them. In particular, my players tent to kill the NPCs leaders as fast as they can (gank the healer!).

Paul Strack

First Post
There are several races (Tiefling, Orcs, etc) that are listed in the index but have no monster/character info. Is there a plan to complete these?

I replied to you in PM but didn't realize you also posted here. The Tieflings and the Orcs *are* in the Book of NPCs, so maybe your download got corrupted or something.

buddhafrog

First Post
I replied to you in PM but didn't realize you also posted here. The Tieflings and the Orcs *are* in the Book of NPCs, so maybe your download got corrupted or something.

I downloaded it again -- apparently the first had a crit failure. This download if complete!

This was useful, now incredibly so. I've been using this to pull important NPC's, but also many times to pull many monster stats for this new, time-stressed DM.

Thanks again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads