• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of the Righteous - whats so holy?

aurin777

First Post
Just what it asks... I havent heard anything about this book and I thought who better to ask but the enworldians who play with it? Is it worth a read? Fill me in.
~~Brandon

Numion said:

Are any of those (admittedly very positive reviews) actual playtest reviews? Since the threads starter asked opinions from ENWorlders who actually play with it.

Yes, but aurin777 also asked "Is it worth a read?"

I think the answer to that is an unqualified "yes" based on the reviews & praise by other owners of the book who post here.

IMO, BotR will be best USED by homebrew DM's who do not already have a setting with an established pantheon. It can definitely be used otherwise ( attibuting the BotR's Holy Warriors for the already established deities etc... ) but it's fullest utilization will be for us homebrewers who are creating their gods from scratch.

That said, I have NOT actually playtested anything from the book, but my homebrew is developing nicely ( but slowly ) based on ideas & concepts from it...

Numion

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

Yes, but aurin777 also asked "Is it worth a read?"

To pick a nit, aurin777 asked two questions:

1) Who's better to ask than enworldians who play with it?

and

2) Is it worth a read?

I would think from these that he was mainly looking for opinions from people who have played with the thing. Have a nice day. ;)

My answers: 1) Nobody & 2) I don't know

;)

Skarp Hedin

First Post
The book's a good read if you ask me. Additionally, I am using the Holy Warrior alternate core class instead of the PH Paladin class in my campaign, and thus far it has worked fine.

For NPCs only, since there aren't any PCs who want to be paladin types, but in the next month or so, I'll be running a one-shot mission (which will no doubt span several sessions) wherein there will be no less than 4 holy warriors.

I trust all will work well, but won't know for sure until then.

Olive

Explorer
here's my take.

its a great book, but if you have a pantheon it probably won't be that useful. if you're buying it for crunch, then don't. the feats and the new class are good, but are hardly any of the book, and it's pretty expensive. i'm not sure it was worth the money for me to buy personally...

so all up, its very good, but has a specific niche. it can be a good influence when doing write ups for your gods, but its certainly not the deffinative book on gods and deities that some claim it is: its the definitive book on GR's gods and clerics, and inspirational because of that.

Eosin the Red

First Post
I think it is a great read. I use allot of the book in my Birthright game. So, while some may find it restraining; I do not. Some of it, of course does not work in BR but a surprising amount does.

shouit

Explorer
Probably one of the better books that I own. Also note, that the May 23rd show will have the author of the book on Mortality Radio, Aaron Loeb. So you can hear what the author says about the book and how he used it.

Remove ads