Book of Vile Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundershot

Adventurer
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If all he put out was "The Guide to Happy Valley, vol. 1 - Harvest Time!" what use would that be? You have to have evil, or there isn't a game.

It Monte wrote that... I'd buy it. I mean, c'mon... It'd probably have loads of farming equipment with d20 stats and such... <grin>

Chris

jester47

First Post
Orclicker said:
I will have to look at the book before I decide. For the record I was the lead writter on Kenzer's Villain Design Handbook, which should be in stores this week, so I have strong opinions ooon what I would expect from BoVD and it would take a lot to impress me. But if I am impressed I may pick up the book.

Andy

Your book is that good? :D I would suspect that the books cover similar material in different ways and will both have quite a bit of merit. Like the other poster said, it seems that your book will cover antagonists while monte's book covers evil people. In which case I may buy both. But since there is a level of quality associated with Monte's name and this book was wtitten soon after the release of 3e, and I have no idea of what other things you have written, I think I will buy his first if I am constrained to a budget. Sorry but that is just the way it is...

Aaron.

Last edited:

Wolfen Priest

First Post
First of all, Son of Thunder, very interesting name; I'm guessing (based on your name) we probably come from the same "angle" (if my interpretation is correct).

I will still probably buy the book, because as other posters have mentioned, it details things like drug addiction, soul-selling, and other things that I think are perfectly applicable to my campign world (I've always wanted rules about that kind of thing anyway).

Plus, I know having it will scare the bejeezus out of my players ;).

Dr Midnight

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If all he put out was "The Guide to Happy Valley, vol. 1 - Harvest Time!" what use would that be? You have to have evil, or there isn't a game.

I'm finding it hard to put into words. It's something like my distaste for anime (and let's not get into that).

Monte's brand of evil has entertained me in the past, but now I feel like perhaps he's trying to outdo himself with every release.

To me, having storylines with sanity-threatening, black, soulless evil is okay as maybe a once in a while thing. Having a fascination with things that just drip with evil gives me pangs of when I was fifteen and drew skulls on my notebooks.

It boils down to the fact that I dislike drow and the kind of evil cults and plots that Monte enjoys. They have nothing to do with the fantasy feel I strive for, so I be avoiding the BoVD.

The Serge

First Post
Nightfall:

I just thought about this. We've both seen the anorexic "Asmodeus" stats that are supposedly going to be in the Book of Vile Darkness. Are we expecting the stats in the Tome of Horrors to be similar to these stats or more akin to the ones at the Creature Catalog? If that's the case, there's going to be a lot of confusion because a lot of people use the Creature Catalog as much as they use the official D&D material. I mean, Bael will be almost as strong as "Asmodeus."

Do you know?

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'll be buying it. I'm always looking for additional options to use when creating plots, villains and so forth. I'll be getting Kenzer's book as well, because I really like the quality of their stuff.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You know, I don't really need inspiration for my villains. There's more than enough evil in the news every day to make the worst fiend of Barsoom look like a okay guy, once you get to know him.

Rules on drug addiction and so on, maybe useful. And Monte's a great writer, there's no question. But for inspiration, nobody can compete with the history of human nature.

Maraxle

First Post
I'll flip through it, though I probably won't end up buying it. I am a fan of using subtle evil, villains with real plots and motivations, and plausible situations. If it contains this kind of material, I will get it. However, from its description it sounds like it contains the kind of stuff that's better suited for death metal liner notes than my game world.

John Crichton

First Post
to be honest...

I'd love to say that Monte writing it has nothing to do with my desire to purchase the BoVD, but that would be a lie. However, it isn't the sole reason. I want it simply because it's different than any other source material that I have. Plus, WOTC is due for a good sourcebook any day now (after a few dissappointing releases). :D

Citizen K

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I, for one, will not be buying the book. The main reason is that this product has no place in the kind of campaign I run.

A second reason is that I'm a little tired of Monte's "evil" fascination. He's put out far too many evil, dark and drow-based books (and downloads) lately. This, of course, is my taste vs. his. He's the guy with publishers, so of course he's free to do as he wants, but... blechh.

It's worth noting that Monte proposed a Book of Exalted Deeds at the same time - but Wizards chose to follow through on the BoVD.

-Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads