• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book recommendations, give 'em to me!

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I would recommend either On A Pale Horse or Bearing an Hourglass, the first two books in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. The last two in that series were good, as well.

Another good read was Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. An excellent read, although sci-fi.

Pelosan Emperor

First Post
Here are a few authors that I would suggest:

Fantasy:

Guy Gavriel Kay
The Fionavar Tapestry

• The Summer Tree
  • The Wandering Fire
  • The Darkest Road
The Sarantine Mosaic
  • Sailing to Sarantium
  • Lord of Emperors

Lynn Flewelling
Nightrunner Series
  • Luck in the Shadows
  • Stalking Darkness
  • Traitor Moon
Tamir Trilogy (first book only released)
  • The Bone Doll's Twin

Sci-Fi:

Iain M. Banks
  • Consider Phlebas
  • Excession
  • Feersum Endjinn
  • Look to Windward

Maureen McHugh
  • China Mountain Zhang

C. S. Friedman
  • This Alien Shore

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Enjoy!

PE

Thorntangle

First Post
Taren Nighteyes said:
Joel Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame" series is very entertaining - at least the first 4 books are. Easy, fun, and really appealling to the gamer in most people.
I had almost forgotten about those books I read them so long ago. They're kind of like the D&D cartoon but with adults and stacks o' dead bad guys. A group of gamers get sucked into the world of their campaign and inhabit their characters. It was a guilty pleasure read.

GreyOne

Explorer
I recommend (and second) this whenever asked: Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson The three out so far are:

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice (which I'm reading right now)

These books are right up there with George Martin's series. They are vast, the world is so richly detailed (and bloody) and the characters are diverse and cool. Best yet, there's no clear cut, cookie-cutter good and evil (well maybe some evil). They have similarities to Glen Cook's The Black Company but are superior in writing, detail and sheer epic-ness.

There is so much going on in these books on so many levels, from a brewing war between Ascendants (gods), to the rise of ancient non-human peoples, to continent spanning wars, to vast levels of intrigue and mystery to very bloodily described action sequences.

The cast of characters is immense, from a group of hard-bitten soldiers and mages known as the Bridgeburners, to a large army of Malazan soldiers trying to lead 10,000 refugees across a continent where practically every city and tribe have risen against them. There's immortal characters running around, a very cool assassin organization and a neat and original way of doing magic. (the magic system alone is enough to buy the books).

Each book is sort of self-contained (huge and dense -800+ pages) and certain characters and situations continue on. Here's the book jacket synopsis for the Third One:

"The ravaged continent of Genebackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all who fail to heed the world of its elusive prophet, the Pannion Seer. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Dujek Onearm's Host and Whiskeyjack's veteran Bridgeburners - both now outlawed by the Empress - alongside their enemies of old, including the grim forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, and the Rhivi people of the plains.

Outnumbered by the Seer's army of zealots and struggling to put aside their differences, it is vital they get word to potential allies, including an unknown mercenary brotherhood, the Grey Swords, who have been contracted to defend the city of Capustan against the fanatic hordes.

But more ancient clans too are gathering. In answer to some primal summons, the massed ranks of the undead T'lan Imass have risen. For it would appear something altogether darker and more malign threatens the very substance of this world. The Warrens are poisoned, and rumours abound of the Crippled God, now unchained and intent on a terrible revenge..."

The reason why I mention this here is that Erikson doesn't seem to be getting the attention he deserves. I'm not sure if its being published in the States (its British, by a Canadian) and I haven't got a clue why. If you see it though, I'd pick up the first book. You won't be disappointed.

madriel

First Post
I also recommend Glen Cook, Elizabeth Haydon and Guy Gavriel Kay.

Plague Dogs by Richard Adams is hard to find but very good.

The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy by Elisabeth Moon. The lead character is a shepherd who runs away to join a mercenary company and Moon's military background comes through.

Michelle (Sagara) West's Sun Sword books are epic fantasy with a lot of political intrigue in an oriental setting.

Sean Russell is another good author. I can't mention specific titles of his as we're in the middle of renovations and our living room furniture is piled in front of my bookcases.

Amateratsu

First Post
Recommendations

When you mentioned finishing the GRR Martin books, did you mean the more recent Game of Thrones series (up to book 3) or his earlier works? If you haven't read the afroementioned series please do.

You might also like the works of Simon Hawk and David Gemel as well.

Just my two cents...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd second the Coldfire Tirlogy by C.S. Friedman, and Elizabeth Moon's fantasy books. I have not read her Sci. Fi. Sorry you didn't like Brust, I'm sure I'm one of the many who recommended him. I will say that the Phoenix Guards is very different than the Taltos books, so you may want to give that 2 book series a try.

But, the best writer recommended so far is Guy Kay Gavriel. All of them.

Bystander

First Post
Looking for some good SF&F book recommendations?

...then come down to the Beyond Reality
Online Sci-Fi & Fantasy Book Reading Group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beyond_Reality

Each month, this group elects TWO books (one from each genre); then we read the hell out of them; then we discuss the hell out of them! Why?! To discover some great new books, enhance our reading experience, AND have oodles of fun!

Some of our past BOTMs (Books of the Month):
A GAME OF THRONES, by George R. R. Martin
HYPERION, by Dan Simmons
DAUGHTER OF THE EMPIRE, by R. E. Feist & J. Wurts
SHIP OF MAGIC, by Robin Hobb
NEVERWHERE, by Neil Gaiman
NEUROMANCER, by William Gibson
TIGANA, by Guy Gavriel Kay
ANUBIS GATES, by Tim Powers
TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG, by Connie Willis
ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE, by Robin Hobb
GOOD OMENS, by N. Gaiman & T. Pratchett
SNOW CRASH, by Neal Stephenson
A FIRE UPON THE DEEP, by Vernor Vinge
PERDIDO STREET STATION, by China Miéville
CRYPTONOMICON, by Neal Stephenson

Coming up, we have:
A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, by Ursula K. LeGuin (Fantasy)
ENDER'S GAME, by Orson Scott Card (Sci-Fi)

We also trade our old books by mail, and discuss all types of SF&F! Come check us out!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beyond_Reality

Lysander
Beyond Reality Group Moderator

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Wow, Lysander, cool!

Thanks for the link -- I'm bookmarking it now, and will try to show up. It sounds like a blast!

Daniel

Remove ads