Book recommendations, give 'em to me!

Mr. Grimm

First Post
Darklance said:
I very highly recommend the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Excellent series.

1. Assassin's Apprentice
2. Royal Assassin
3. Assassin's Quest

I these were only a notch or two below Martin which says allot because I'm picky and I think Ice & Fire is just about the cream of the crop.

I second these, they were the first books I thought of when I saw your post. Also, if you liked GRRMartin, look for a short story he did called "The Hedge Knight" (AIR), in a book called Legends, a collection of short stories by various authors. Takes place about 100 yrs before the events in the current series and gives a great feel of certain events that aren't quite captured there.

Also, you gotta try Neil Gaiman -- American Gods, Good Omens, Neverwhere. All of which are contemporary fantasy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Caliban said:

Good, Bad, their the ones with the book.

:D Well, the reason I got picky is that Amazon is the one with the books. Do a search there on Bad Omen, and on Good Omens, and you get two completely different things.

runic

First Post
I may be the only one to like or read this but I enjoyed and recommend Christopher Rowley's " Bazil Broketail series. Dragons speaking fighting and living with humans. can never have enough ahk!!:D
L.E Modesitt jr. Recluse series and anything by david Eddings.
P.C. Hodwells God Stalk and Drak of the moon or if you belong to the Sci-Fi bookclub they have it all together as the Dark of the Gods.
Also Dennis L. Mckerrian anything, tolkienesque but lighter and different. Last but not least Tolkien,Robin Hobb and The Norse Prose and Poteic Eddas.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Umbran said:

:D Well, the reason I got picky is that Amazon is the one with the books. Do a search there on Bad Omen, and on Good Omens, and you get two completely different things.

Yeah, your right. I'd just read it a long time ago and got the title wrong. :p

orbitalfreak

First Post
I'd like to second the nominations of the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Fiest. I've read all four books three times in the past four years, and they're great.

C S Friedman's Coldfire trilogy I also second (or third, by now). Interesting take on the theme of magic.

Timeline by Michael Crichton is also very good. I just finished it about 30 minutes ago.

I'm actually surprised to see Raptor Red mentioned; I didn't think anyone else would have read it. I thought it was a great book.

R A Salvatore is always good to read, but then again, I'm a little partial to his Drizzt novels. I enjoyed them, but YMMV.

Finally, I recommend the Star of the Guardians trilogy (as well as the sequel "Ghost Legion") by Margaret Weiss. I don't remember if Tracy Hickman co-authored these or not.....:confused:

Well, my 0.002pp worth

Glaurung

First Post
Good Books

Hey,

I'll second the following:

CS Friedman's Coldfire series
anything by David Eddings
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

Also, I'd like to mention the Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman. I think its a pretty old series, but its simply excellent. Its a 7 book series about the resurgance of an elder race in a world they sundered long ago.

Also, its not fantasy, but I recommend Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand-my favorite book and an excellent read.

-Michael Gill

Remove ads