• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Booming Blade seems a bit powerful

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I don't think so.
Okay. Bob has had 2 hex spells cast on him. The first is from a 3rd level slot and targets STR. The second is from a 5th level slot and targets CHA. Which is the more potent in the following situations:

1) Bob has to make no ability checks this round and is struck by an eldritch blast from both caters.

2) Bob has to make a STR check this round and is struck by an eldritch blast from both caters.

3) Bob has to make a CHA check this round and is struck by an eldritch blast from both caters.

If your answer varies, you're looking at immediate effectiveness and not potency.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So what is your definition of potency and why do you think it is better?
I don't think a useful definition is one that constantly checks game conditions for the best outcome that moment, otherwise there's no reason to not stack enhance ability, for instance, because the most potent at any moment is the one affecting the ability check your making. Given this means every instrance is de facto stacking without limitation, that's not in keeping with RAW or RAI.

As for my definition, it's highest level slot used. In case of ties, it's the last cast (good for hex, enhance ability, etc).

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I don't think a useful definition is one that constantly checks game conditions for the best outcome that moment, otherwise there's no reason to not stack enhance ability, for instance, because the most potent at any moment is the one affecting the ability check your making. Given this means every instrance is de facto stacking without limitation, that's not in keeping with RAW or RAI.

As for my definition, it's highest level slot used. In case of ties, it's the last cast (good for hex, enhance ability, etc).

I don't know that we have much RAW or RAI information on this question :)

--

Well, we do have a little RAI:
Q: Hi! Do multiple castings of the same spell but with different effects, such as Enhance Ability or Suggestion, stack? Thanks!
Mike Mearls: i believe yes

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure that the RAI is that you can't get to +5d4 on all rolls with an entire party capable of casting Bless, which would break the game. Getting advantage on both STR and CHA at the cost of two concentration spells isn't going to break anything so it should be fine by RAI and is also RAW when you use a reasonable definition of "potent".

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm pretty sure that the RAI is that you can't get to +5d4 on all rolls with an entire party capable of casting Bless, which would break the game. Getting advantage on both STR and CHA at the cost of two concentration spells isn't going to break anything so it should be fine by RAI and is also RAW when you use a reasonable definition of "potent".
So, then, what does potent mean? If it doesn't effectively mean anything, why the rule?

And if enhance ability stacks, so does hex, so the warlock hit squad can all hex the same target with different abilities hexed and all get bonus damage for their attacks.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So, then, what does potent mean? If it doesn't effectively mean anything, why the rule?
There is no general rule given, but we know potent in general means "powerful" or "effective". And we know that in the case of a bonus, the largest bonus is most potent. (Duh.) Beyond that, it will be up to the DM. For instance, your rule to use the level of the spell seems reasonable to me. Not so sure about your order-of-application idea for breaking ties, but it certainly works.

I just wouldn't make any claims about being RAW or RAI.

And if enhance ability stacks, so does hex, so the warlock hit squad can all hex the same target with different abilities hexed and all get bonus damage for their attacks.
I don't have any problem with that, myself. No one character is getting multiple d6s at once.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post

I think this is a case where 5ths "Rulings over Rules" comes into effect. There is far too much interpretation to convince me of any single person is providing the RAW beyond "This is RAW because it gives me the result I want". Not being hung up on RAW is probably the greatest feature of 5th. As usual, the easiest possible example (Bless) is provided while DM's are expected to extrapolate what is a stacking effect or separate spell effects. Do I consider Hex stacking? Not really since each instance of extra damage can only be triggered by the casting creature. If the same stat gets Hexed, then it becomes overlapping and that stat is only Hexed. If two effects trigger at the same time, then they overlap and only the one with the most potential is applied. If they all have the same potential, then it doesn't matter which is applied, but they are all triggered. So all are in effect, but only one is applied if the results of multiple copies can be.

Will I call this RAW? No, since I don't believe RAW exists as soon as play begins. I won't disagree at a table where another DM chooses to run it different, but I also won't back down to some player insisting his interpretation is the "RAW" either.

A damage aura that does 4d8 damage is more potent than one that does 3d8 damage. The point of the rule is that they shouldn't stack to do 7d8 damage.
Now you're getting it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
A damage aura that does 4d8 damage is more potent than one that does 3d8 damage. The point of the rule is that they shouldn't stack to do 7d8 damage.

Now you're getting it.
So "effect" only means damage, numbers, or exactly similar? That smells of special pleading.

As for getting it, no, because that totally flies in the face of what's written. It's says effect from the same spells, not only the same effects from the same spells.

Remove ads