D&D 5E Boots of Striding and Springing.......kinda lame

Barolo

First Post
So... if you rewrite the rules, or use variant rules, or use them to shore up unoptimized builds, then the boots doesn't suck as bad.

Got it.

Or, this could just be how someone else reads the rules, not "homebrew level" variant rules. Anybody who is not too stingy with their interpretation of all those move-then-act rules in between the abstractions of rounds and such already allows the boots to be useful and fun, simply by assuming the movement in the previous round counts as running start, for instance. I don't even see this as contradicting anything Crawford tweeted.

They are a nice addition for a 'burglar' type in an 'burg' environment (which reminds me rogues actually can "cunning action" the boots up), for an armored guy that likes to surprise enemies with their unexpected mobility, or to the small-race member of the party.

I myself really enjoy these kinds of magic items, as I feel I can reward the heroes with nice toys even at very low levels without jeopardizing the expected challenge they are facing.

I don't think any rules tweaks are necessary. I played a character with these boots in Rage of Demons. I was a Dwarf, so the extra movement was handy, and I was able to pick up and carry loads that were both too heavy for most characters, and too big for our bag of holding. Especially when it came to things like fetching that Purple Worm Egg. Not to mention, being able to negate 30 feet of falling damage by jumping is pretty handy at times.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, they suck.

I would make them:
Or remove the connection to the too-complicated and too-stingy jumping rules and simply make the give you "Jump Speed 30". Transforms the boots not only into something truly useful, but something truly 5e-style simple as well :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the main problem with the boots (aside from attunement) is one it share with the Jump spell: it does not give you additional "Jump" movement to help you take advantage of the increased jump range without using your action and such.
Yes those rules are atrocious.

It would not be out of line at all to have the boots and the spell grant you an additional 30' Jump movement in any direction as part of your move action. Easy peasy, no looking up jump rules and calculating how much movement you have based on your strength and all that jazz.
Much better, I agree :)

snickersnax

Explorer
Well, I think we could add a new version with this nice list of abilities. But maybe we should call it "boots of striding, springing and evading"?

I came across this old thread while I was lamenting the loss of older versions of boots of striding and springing. 5e should have just renamed these boots of hauling and springing, because for most people there is no striding. Except for those handicapped by a less than 30 foot movement speed who could call them boots of mobility aid for the short or feeble armored and springing

Remove ads