• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boots of the Striding Spider

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
A character in our campaign has a nifty set of shoes that are both Spider Climbing and Striding & Springing (yes, it cost double to put the second power in the same slot). Last game, however, we ran into some rules ambiguities:

1) Are Slippers of Spider Climbing use activated or do you have to stop and say the command word every 40 minutes?

2) When the slippers are active, what is this character's movement rate? The slippers say 15 and the boots say double normal. So is that 30ft when all is said and done?

3) Does the 15ft speed for the slippers only apply when spider climbing? Or do you also move slowly when walking on a normal, flat surface?

The wearer of these boots moves at double her normal speed.
When worn, a pair of these slippers enable movement on
vertical surfaces or even upside down along ceilings, leaving the
wearers hands free. Her speed is 15 feet

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Since the slippers don't say "the character moves at half speed", I would restrict them to 15 feet. The speed of the character while the slippers are activated have nothing to do with the difficulty of movement. That is simply the maximum speed the magic will allow for the slippers to function. Even haste does not help you with Spider Climb.

Zhure

First Post
Use activated usually means "while worn" in the case of footwear.

A speed of 15 would be doubled to 30 with Striding & Springing. Even at a speed of 15, the character could double move, or up to quadruple (60) in a straight run.

Just my opinions,
Greg

kreynolds

First Post
Generally that's true. But we are not talking about a spell that slows you to half speed. We are talking about a spell that restricts you to a static movement rate. Those are two totally different things.

drowdude

First Post
The spell description says the subject moves at 1/2 speed. The item simply grants you the benefits of the spell.

So I would say the spell description supercedes the item description in this case. Since it is likely the writer was assuming a 30' speed when he wrote that.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
drowdude said:
So I would say the spell description supercedes the item description in this case. Since it is likely the writer was assuming a 30' speed when he wrote that.

Must have been, drowdude. OK. Double it is! :D I hate poorly described magic items.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads