Border Wars: an introduction to the Mycab Sector

Peterson

First Post
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of anime either - I like some, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the PL - well, it really depends on multiple factors. What section of "space" you're from, what species you are, who you work for, etc.

For example, the humans - on average - have a much higher PL than the Mycabri or Vic'Tarians. However, life on the Frontier (which is where this little storyhour starts), the technology level is a good deal lower than that in the Heartworlds.

Additionally, each species has a "niche", something that only they can produce or use or whatever. We should see these examples become clear throughout the storyhour - as well as in the Setting pdf (<----shameless pimp!).

Oh, and to Spider - if items like this is releasing too much information, I would be happy to put in "spoiler" tags and/or link them into a document. Otherwise, enjoy!

Peterson

genshou

First Post
Peterson said:
As for the PL - well, it really depends on multiple factors. What section of "space" you're from, what species you are, who you work for, etc.

For example, the humans - on average - have a much higher PL than the Mycabri or Vic'Tarians. However, life on the Frontier (which is where this little storyhour starts), the technology level is a good deal lower than that in the Heartworlds.

Additionally, each species has a "niche", something that only they can produce or use or whatever. We should see these examples become clear throughout the storyhour - as well as in the Setting pdf (<----shameless pimp!).

Hmm... awfully cryptic. :) I guess I'll just have to pay attention to what technologies show up in the updates to figure things out. Make sure you include names of technologies occasionally for me to look up (using spoiler tags to hide them from your players if necessary, a good idea for Story Hours I must say).

Can't wait to see the update. Keep up the good work! :D

Peterson

First Post
genshou said:
Hmm... awfully cryptic.

Sorry, genshou, didn't mean for it to be cryptic.

Let's see if I can't explain some of this. First off, please remember that I'm not the biggest fan of PL.

Um, anyone know how to do Spoiler Tags? :heh:

Peterson

Last edited:

genshou

First Post
Peterson said:
Um, anyone know how to do Spoiler Tags? :heh:

That would be the [ sblock ] vB code. For example:

[sblock]If you can read this, you've successfully disabled the spoiler tag.[/sblock]

genshou

First Post
Peterson said:
Sorry, genshou, didn't mean for it to be cryptic.

Let's see if I can't explain some of this. First off, please remember that I'm not the biggest fan of PL.
I find PL to be very useful as a general tool rather than a hard-and-fast limitation. The tech level in the campaign I am planning is based on it for the most part. The humans in the campaign setting are PL 6, but you can find some PL 7 technology in certain areas. For example, the United Earth Protectorate focuses on starship design, projectile weapons (and missiles, to some extent), and armor plating, so you are most likely to find a deflective- or neutronite-plated assault fighter, strike cruiser, or dreadnought in their fleets (all as experimental vessels developed over the course of the campaign, of course). Meanwhile, the Saturn Rebellion is the best place to find PL 7 missile technology, the Centaurian Empire is the best place to find PL 7 energy weapons and advanced medicine, the Democratic Republic of Rigel is the best place to find various high-tech objects (especially communications and sensor equipment), and the pirates are good for just about anything, provided it's available on the black market at any given time.

Meanwhile, most of the border worlds only have PL 6 technology up to the point necessary for survival on their planets, forced to rely on the outdated PL 5 technology for the most part. The United Earth Protectorate obviously comes out the winner overall (especially where space navy is concerned), which makes sense since they control all the "oldest" human planets in the galaxy.

Is that kind of what the galaxy is like in this story hour? Or am I just confused (wouldn't be the first time)?

P.S. Can't wait to read the next update *nudge* ;)

Peterson

First Post
Okay, I'll get on it. However, a few points. First, this being a holiday weekend, I'm not sure I can get any updates done until next Thursday or so. Second, we've only played once, and that was over a month ago, so this storyhour is almost complete (at least, it will be once I toss up an update or three). It will pick up again once real life settles down and we can start playig again. Finally, I'll address the PL in another post sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the interest.

Peterson

Peterson

First Post
Okay here is the post on the PL of the Mycab Sector - hidden via spolier links. (Thanks genshou).

The Collective

[sblock] The Collective's Progress Level can best be determined as a "solid PL 6" wiith a few cutting edge PL 7 examples. For example, the Collective have Slow-Charge Lasers which have a rate of fire equal to single (aka - they can only fire once per round, regardless of feats and base attack bonus), yet their medical technologies are top of the line. They have genetic engineering - as evidenced by the Flexes, Ken and Fayne (Modernized, Issue #3 will feature the Gene-Spliced), nanobots, even Biocort (see D20 Future on that item). They regularly make use of Mecha and Power Armor, and have FTL space travel (non-realistic, cause this is more a Space Opera than Hard Sci Fi).[/sblock]

The Frontier

[sblock] The Frontier can be considered the battleground between the "natives" and the Collective. Progress Level here is best called "Mixed Bag" because there is everything from PL 4 to PL 6 found on these "backwater" planets. For example, in one city on the planet of Sorrow, you might find hover vehicles, high-tech hospitals, and relatively easy living. Yet, on the other side of the planet, people may be plowing farm fields with a Dael (a beast of burden, native on Sorrow) or driving gas-powered motorcycles and toting firearms. [/sblock]

The Commerce Alliance

[sblock] You haven't read about the Commerce Alliance as of yet, but you will soon enough. They are only slightly behind the Collective in terms of PL, but they focus more on transportation than the medical field. [/sblock]

The Vic'Tarian

[sblock] The blue-skinned, white-winged giants have a "high PL 5" with their starship technology being a "solid PL 6". This race is considered the greatest pilots of the 'verse, as well as some of the best starship designers/builders. They also pride themselves on their firearm technology. [/sblock]

The Mycabri

[sblock] The gray-skinned Mycabri have a "high PL 5" as well. This race really relies on the others to invent new technologies and the such, sort of like a parasite feeds off a host. They use Vic'Tarian-designed firearms and starships for example. However, the Mycabri are rather inventive when it comes to "modifying" current technology into equipment used for war. [/sblock]

I truly hope this sums up the PL for you readers - if you have any questions, you can always ask here, or via my email SleepDepCreations (at) gmail (dot) com. Just do me a favor and title the subject line "Border Wars" and include the gist of your question in the subject line as well. That way, if it ends up in the spam folder, I can quickly find it.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Peterson

Last edited:

Roudi

First Post
Peterson said:
Modernized, Issue #3 will feature the Gene-Spliced
That's right. MODERNIZED Issue #3 isn't finished yet, but hopefully it will be soon. Peterson's Gene-Spliced article is great (even comes with art courtesy of kroh!) and should add some fun variation to your d20 Future game. Also, it should take you a few steps closer to playing a game in the Mycab Sector. ;)

Getting Issue #3 done as soon as I can... Pterson, keep up the excellent Story Hour work.

Remove ads