BoVD (again)

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
The store in S. Houston will be carrying it. They think it'll sell because of they "controversy".

Thaumaturge.

hellbender

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
It'd help to know roughly what region you live in. I can't imagine the shops around here not carrying it. I'll be surprised if it doesn't show up on the shelves.

I live in the northern part of Idaho, in a fairly liberal area (heck, there is a city 30 miles away where women were going topless in town until July, after a couple of college girls made money off a topless carwash, and it may become topless again).

Yet, a role playing book will not be sold in stores (not that I am complaining about the carwash gambit). Something doesn't add up. Is this book getting some really bad pre-press?

hellbender

qstor

Adventurer
I think I'll get it just for the Devil and Demon stats as well. I don't really see the need otherwise. I never allow evil PC's in my game so I don't need the other sections.

Mike

The Serge

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'm just getting it for the Demon Princes and Arch Devils. :)
As am I, in addition to see what suggestions Cook has for infusing really evil villainy in a game that I haven't already thought of.

Anyway, I think the concern of the initial poster reveals the silliness surrounding this entire book (and the DRAGON Magazine that preceeds it. I honestly don't understand the intense reaction this book has garnered when it hasn't even come out yet. And I mean reactions to really important issues, not debates about the (meaningless) relative powerlevel of Arch-fiends.

How many threads have been killed off because of the outrageous reactions by posters who have yet to peruse the book? If the concern is based upon the marketing material that's been sent out, we all know that such information is used as a lure and reel, nothing more. People need to chill out before passing judgement on the bulk of what they haven't seen.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Crothian said:
I imagine there is a little to much hype of the wrong kind for this.

On the contrary, I think it is EXACTLY the kind of hype that WotC wants for this product. One of the biggest marketing coups that could happen if WotC could recapture a little of that "bad boy" mystique that D&D had back in the early 1980's. Not ALL of it, but just a little.

Gary Gygax once stated on this board that sales skyrocketed when the "Satanic D&D" controversy was at its peak. (I can't remember if he said sales doubled or tripled, but it was one or the other.)

derverdammte

Explorer
My local hobby shop owner asked me if I was going to want one, and I told her "Of course! It's by Monte Cook!"

She hadn't noticed the author before. She said, "Oh, in that case I'll order extras."

hellbender

First Post
Henry said:

On the contrary, I think it is EXACTLY the kind of hype that WotC wants for this product. One of the biggest marketing coups that could happen if WotC could recapture a little of that "bad boy" mystique that D&D had back in the early 1980's. Not ALL of it, but just a little.

Gary Gygax once stated on this board that sales skyrocketed when the "Satanic D&D" controversy was at its peak. (I can't remember if he said sales doubled or tripled, but it was one or the other.)

Having lived through the early '80's and playing AD&D at the time, I hope this isn't the hype that WotC wants. It was difficult enough playing at that time, and all of the books and modules were readily available. I don't see how this marketing scheme encourages people to play the game. Once again, this is not a slam on Monte Cook, I think he is a great author and will touch on all the subjects in the book tactfully. However, something is up when more than one game shop refuse to display a copy of this book. When I explained that Monte Cook had written the book at the biggest of the stores, an employee went to look through the rpg section, looking for his work. I am unsure of the outcome, but I hope the store gets at least one copy, as I have no doubt that it will dismiss any trepidation about having a few copies around.

The hype over this book is not a positive thing. I would imagine that it would be best if a store actually kept stock of the controversial book. If anything, you would want the store management in on the gag, not avoiding the book. This puts an idea in the minds of the people working at these gaming shops that the book is bad or contains unsuitable material.

hellbender

Remove ads