• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bow of Force...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Would arrows shot from a Bow of Force (Arms & Equipment) ignore a windwall? The description says that arrows shot from it become force attacks and bypass DR. The prereq is magic missile.

Would SR apply?

hong

WotC's bitch
According to the book, magic items (with the exception of enhancement bonuses from weapons and armour) are spell-like effects, so yes.

Of course, 99% of people probably ignore that rule, so no.

Although the fact that the prereq is a spell, and the item's power looks a bit like a spell, might cause some to say yes.

But then prereqs have no formal connection with an item's actual powers, so no.

My version of a force bow would have to penetrate SR. The one in A&E (the second most useless book I've got for 3E) would probably not have to, going purely by precedent.

James McMurray

First Post
I wouldn't allow it. The Bow of Force is already powerful enough in that it allows people to bypass DR and hit ethereal foes. Adding even more capabilities to it would require (IMO) upping the price.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Basicly I'm trying to find away to get around Wind Wall and Storm Rage (basicly a personal windwall from Magic of Faerun). Once these spells are up, an Archer is SOL. :(

One spell shouldn't emasculate an entire class (or build). Guess I need phase arrows or something along those lines.

wolfen

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
Basicly I'm trying to find away to get around Wind Wall and Storm Rage (basicly a personal windwall from Magic of Faerun). Once these spells are up, an Archer is SOL. :(

One spell shouldn't emasculate an entire class (or build). Guess I need phase arrows or something along those lines.

BASICALLY, any spellcaster going through the trouble of casting Wind Wall should enjoy an arrow-free existence for the 7-10 rounds that it's likely to exist. In fact, I hope he's quite comfy and enjoying the breeze.

A higher level caster isn't wasting his time on the spell...Summoned monsters and Power Word Blind will mess up your day a lot worse, to be sure.

wolfen

James McMurray

First Post
There is a Prestige Class in BoED that lets you shoot arrows through hurricane force winds. I don't hav it handy, so I don't know if it would work versus Wind Wall and its big brother.

Another decent option is to have a friend handy that can cast Greater Dispel Magic.

Finally, these spells are so rarely used that you can probably get away with just carrying a Greatsword and charging the guy behind the Wind Wall. :)

One spell shouldn't emasculate an entire class (or build).
I agree. Has your group done anything to nerf Freedom of Movement's "thou shalt not be grappled" effect that appeared in 3.5?

hong

WotC's bitch
Dwarmaj said:

Get winged boots, fly on top of the wizard, and shoot him in the head. Worked for me!

Dwarmaj

First Post
hong said:
Get winged boots, fly on top of the wizard, and shoot him in the head. Worked for me!

Sorry, Stormrage give him a personal windwall in all directions.

Like James stated, guess I'll have to break out a melee weapon.... :(

Remove ads