• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bow of True Arrows (Sword & fist)

Ixidior

First Post
hi once again,

I was reading the Sword & Fist book and i found the Bow of true arrows, but i don't understand it at all.

Can anyone, please, tell me how does it works? or how many enhancements bonus it has?

The book says that is a +1 mighty composite longbow(+1 Str bonus required) that store the true strike spell.

Now i don't know if that "+1" is about the "+1 Str bonus required" or is an enhancement bonus and so.. it has +2 enhancement bonus(+1 + property)?? or just one??

ah! and what is a migthy composite longbow. I can't find it anywhere.

thnx for your time

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I am only going from memory since this is 3.0, so i don't know the answers to all your questions.

First of all, might composite bows were listed with the alchemical items in 3.0, iirc. Basically, you can apply your strength bonus, up to +x, to your damage rolls with the bow, in your case, up to +1 (str 12).

I'd have to see the bow's entry to be sure, but as I recall it had a +1 enhancement and any arrow fired from it benefitted from true strike. I also recall it being one of the most overpowered and broken items ever printed. :) Really, there's a lot of stuff in Sword and Fist that's just ridiculous.

Ixidior

First Post
I am only going from memory since this is 3.0, so i don't know the answers to all your questions.

First of all, might composite bows were listed with the alchemical items in 3.0, iirc. Basically, you can apply your strength bonus, up to +x, to your damage rolls with the bow, in your case, up to +1 (str 12).

I'd have to see the bow's entry to be sure, but as I recall it had a +1 enhancement and any arrow fired from it benefitted from true strike. I also recall it being one of the most overpowered and broken items ever printed. :) Really, there's a lot of stuff in Sword and Fist that's just ridiculous.

eh.. bu that "any arrow fired from it benefitted from true strike" counts as an enhancement bonus or not?? so is a +1 weapon or +2 weapon equivalent?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What do you mean? I forget what enhancement the bow had, I think it was +1. If you mean what the market price (in terms of a +x enhancement bonus) is...I don't think it had one. It was just some added gp cost, not a +1 or whatever market price like flaming. You know...like the unique weapons in the DMG, like the dwarven thrower. They may have a +x enhancement and possibly some special properties that are worth extra +1 or +2, but they also have special properties not representing any normal modifier. I don't know how else to explain it and I'm starting to ramble on, I'll let someone else take a stab at it.

Noir le Lotus

First Post
IIRC, the bow allows its user to cast True Strike at will. So it means that you can use a standard action to get True Strike and on your next turn make an attack with a +20 bonus to hit (or a full attack with a +20 bonus on the 1st arrow).

Starbuck_II

First Post
Yes, it was a weapon that can cast a spell.

Spell level1 × caster level × 750 gp = spell trigger.
1 x 5 x 750 = 3750.
It should cost more to be at will compared to 50 charges (x20 bonus).

I guess they gave a discount because it takes 2 turns to attack with the bonus.

Ixidior

First Post
Yes, it was a weapon that can cast a spell.

Spell level1 × caster level × 750 gp = spell trigger.
1 x 5 x 750 = 3750.
It should cost more to be at will compared to 50 charges (x20 bonus).

I guess they gave a discount because it takes 2 turns to attack with the bonus.

waaaaaiit... a second.. O.O

This is the text:

[FONT=&quot]Bow of True Arrows: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This +1 mighty composite longbow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](+1 Strength bonus required) stores the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]true strike[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]spell, which the wielder can activate with a spell trigger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](as with a wand). The wielder gains the benefits of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the spell only when shooting an arrow from the bow.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unlike a wand, the bow casts the spell any number of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]times. Both arcane archers and initiates of the bow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]favor [/FONT][FONT=&quot]bows of true arrows[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Caster Level: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5th; [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prerequisites: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Craft Magic Arms and[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Armor, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]true strike[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Market Price: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]4,000 gp; [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Cost to Create:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2,250 gp + 140 XP.[/FONT]

What i understand from here is that each arrow i shot from here i gain the benefits of the spell. And so the trigger would be "shooting an arrow"

Why did you say that the triger is :
" Spell level1 × caster level × 750 gp = spell trigger."

I don't understand it.
And It supose not to be a cast cause you activate and efect like when you activate a tramp. It just happend. I don't think that the wilder must say "i will cast true shot"

Please help me to understand this thing.

PS: What is IIRC?? o.o

Last edited:

Starbuck_II

First Post
Reread the text.

which the wielder can activate with a spell trigger [FONT=&quot](as with a wand).[/FONT]
That means standard action.

Did you assume it meant: free action casting when you shoot?

That is a possible interpretation, but is far out of sync with the price.

Ixidior

First Post
but a wand triger is not nesesary a standar action. the DMG says that the wand's triger is usually an standar action. So i thought that this would be one of those exceptions.

Now when the book says

"...[FONT=&quot]which the wielder can activate with a spell trigger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](as with a wand)..."
i think "yes it has a spell triger like when you activate a wand, that has a triger too".

Then.. the text continue

"...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The wielder gains the benefits of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the spell only when shooting an arrow from the bow..."

So i think "oh now the triger.. I gain the benefit when i shot an arrow so triger the only one triger is shooting an arrow cause it says that is only when shooting an arrow from the bow and not pointin the targer with the bow like would be with a wand."

So i Think that these 2 lines are about the "triger"
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

GreyVulpine

First Post
Bow of True Arrows: This +1 mighty composite longbow
(+1 Strength bonus required) stores the true strike
spell, which the wielder can activate with a spell trigger
(as with a wand).

A spell trigger will require a standard action to activate.

The wielder gains the benefits of
the spell only when shooting an arrow from the bow.

This is not the "trigger" that activates True Strike. What this simply means is that the user cannot activate True Strike from the bow, then use another weapon to gain the +20 to attack. The bonus only applies to arrows shot from the bow. It still takes a standard action to activate the spell from the bow before you can use it.

-GV

Remove ads