• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boxed Sets 2018 Style

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't want core rule box sets. I want adventure box sets. Like Beadle & Grimm, but focused on minis and battlemaps and less on tchotchkes. Give me EVERYTHING I need to run the adventure. An affordably priced option would have paper battlemaps and punch out cardboard counters/pogs. A premium option would have wizkids pre-painted minis and maybe some premium poster maps, cloth maps, and hand outs.

Beadle & Grimm's is heading in the right direction, but I worry it is priced too high to be successful. I would like to see something similar but priced so that it could be sold in Target and which an average middle-class parent or grandparent would consider buying it a gift.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't want core rule box sets. I want adventure box sets. Like Beadle & Grimm, but focused on minis and battlemaps and less on tchotchkes. Give me EVERYTHING I need to run the adventure. An affordably priced option would have paper battlemaps and punch out cardboard counters/pogs. A premium option would have wizkids pre-painted minis and maybe some premium poster maps, cloth maps, and hand outs.

Beadle & Grimm's is heading in the right direction, but I worry it is priced too high to be successful. I would like to see something similar but priced so that it could be sold in Target and which an average middle-class parent or grandparent would consider buying it a gift.

Issue there is, the adventure books already give most groups everything they need: text, maps, and handouts. Miniatures or physical representation of any kind are not a universal feature of play.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

The B&G set has more than 2 dozen minis and dozens of battlemaps

Rhylthar

Explorer
I would like to have something like this for 5E:
FBL_boxed_set.jpg

I own all the boxes of Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Dragonlance and Greyhawk. I really like them a lot more than "books only".

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Issue there is, the adventure books already give most groups everything they need: text, maps, and handouts. Miniatures or physical representation of any kind are not a universal feature of play.

Well, sure. They could continue to sell the book as it and a separate supplement set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right, but the price point is not going to work for most DMs.

Hasbro should be able to sell a much more modestly priced set with less premium components.

B&G was going to have less premium boxes; those seem to have disappeared?

Maybe there isn't a major, viable market for more-than the Starter Set but less-than the B&G? WotC has tried before, but none of those products seemed to last.

gyor

Legend

The key market for box sets isn't APs, it's settings, which simply aren't being given enough meat.

I still remember owning the ultima 9 box with it's cloth map of Britannia.

Oh my lordy, give me a tea towel map of the sword coast and some fake parchment letters and I'll run you an adventure!

Remove ads