• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boxed sets - love em or hate em

What do you think of boxed sets

• Love them

Votes: 136 29.6%
  • Like them

Votes: 92 20.0%
  • Neutral - buy if content appeals, but no special love

Votes: 158 34.3%
  • not keen

Votes: 46 10.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • no real feeling on this

Votes: 18 3.9%

BigAlzBub

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Wow. I can't believe the British government is missing out on a lot of potential tax relief.
Tax Relief, yeah I've heard of that, not quite sure what it is though ;)
The UK is often refered to as Treasure Island. How the hell is a country smaller than most states in America ranked about 3rd in the G8? Sorry for hijacking this thread *click*

Yeah so I like box sets but prefer hardbound books because they are cheaper.

Destil

Explorer
I loved the players books. But these days it's an obsolete idea, IMHO. A company could easily put that sort of stuff out as a web-enhancement and it would not only serve the function of separating DM & Player info but also be a nice way to promote the book.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
BigAlzBub said:
Tax Relief, yeah I've heard of that, not quite sure what it is though ;)
"Tax relief" is interchangeable with "tax revenue," most especially if your government's budget is not enough to maintain public services you expect from them, from maintaining the police to offering social service programs.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Love 'em.

Boxed Sets I Own

Al-Qadim, Land of Fate
Al-Qadim, City of Delights
Al-Qadim, Ruined Kingdoms
Conan (old boxed set from TSR, no map)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Expanded and Revised
Forgotten Realms, City of Splendors
Forgotten Realms, Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms
Greyhawk, From the Ashes (Just bought this one.)
Mystara, Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure
Renegade Legion, Leviathan: Ships of the Line
Spelljammer, AD&D Adventures in Space

I use to own tons more but I had to sell them to pay rent and eat more than four years ago. That was painful. :(

Joshua Dyal said:
Green Ronin's also doing a Hamunaptra boxed set; kinda D&D in mythic Egypt rather than mythic Europe. I think that's due out sometime this fall.

Yeah, I so want that boxed set. It's going to cost a bundle though. :eek:

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Sieobahn

First Post
I love the old boxed sets. Instead of one big hardcover you get several different smaller books, along with extra handouts and maps. The ability to include all the loose stuff in the box is thier best point.

There was some complaints that people could not browse them like you could a book, but I have to use mail order, so that is not an option for me.

To organise stuff, I would use a 3 or 4 ring binder with inserts to hold all the items. Usually one folder could hold several different sets. For example, I have one folder with both Undermountain sets, plus the three Undermountain adventures all in one place.
I use the folders with the pockets on the front and spine, so cut up a box and slip the front, back and sides into the pockets. It looks great. I have whole shelves of material like that.

Orius

Legend
I don't really care one way or another. If all the material in a box can be included in a book, then it's probably better as a book. But I have nothing against a boxed set with great content, that's got extras like maybe minis or something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads