• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boy, Does It Ever Suck Not Getting Paid!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I read the blog and it was funny as hell, at least the way you expressed it was great.

There should be a list or stars next to publishers names that are good at getting the job done. Something like how ebay has it. I think that would help out alot of publishers looking for freelancers and freelancers considering working for publishers. I think that would helpful. Of course word of mouth works quit well. I sure will not be doing business with them. and the funny thing is they are selling the product John did. I just hope he gets paid for his work!

The new EN Marketplace is designed to do just that!

tensen

First Post
In addition Deb worked with Laura on some material for Dark Quest Games' Gods of War set in their Guiding Light series. The first book, Seth was published and the editing was completed on Morrigan. The manuscript for Odin, the third in the series, was never sent.
posters have said, Deb and Sean seemed great to work with right up to the point of payment. Unfortunately we don't even know the exact amount Laura is owed since at least one of the projects was to be paid on a percentage of the sales.

Deborah was handling that line of books for Dark Quest. It was quite a headache. I know I only recently (a couple months back) was in touch with Martin Rayla over the Morrigan manuscript that had never been turned over to me. Please have Laura contact me at darkquestgames@gmail.com

dragonier

Community Supporter
Deborah was handling that line of books for Dark Quest. It was quite a headache. I know I only recently (a couple months back) was in touch with Martin Rayla over the Morrigan manuscript that had never been turned over to me. Please have Laura contact me at darkquestgames@gmail.com
Hi,

I just wanted to reply to Tensen. Thanks so much for getting in touch with me through my husband via this site. Sorry that you also had a run around with Deborah over this line of books for Dark Quest.

I especially wanted to thank you for paying me for the job that I did on Seth; I realize that you'd paid Deborah for it already and I very much appreciate the gesture in paying me on top of that (since I never recieved payment from DogSoul). And I wanted to post publicly that you have restored some of my faith in the RPG publishing community with this act.

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing Morrigan published too.

Laura

Charke

Explorer
John, a marvelous performance, and I'm not being sarcastic. I only just found this thread and I wasn't planning on reading it all but I did. I was shocked and disapointed by and with the Publisher when you named them. I admit I was terribly curious.

I've seen this "deadline to release information" used once before on an ebay type transaction, very effectively a buyer, who did indeed pay as digits of his home phone number were being released weekly.

I'm glad you had the nerve to stand up for yourself. But gosh darn, if I were a publisher, I'd think long and hard about this thread if you came to me looking for a job. It's the biggest bat we freelancers have and you are the first person I've seen swing it, and you swung hard (says 8000 hits).

So, good job, but woah.

You give me, us, lots to think about.

Mark Charke

PatrickLawinger

First Post
Hi,

I just wanted to reply to Tensen. Thanks so much for getting in touch with me through my husband via this site. Sorry that you also had a run around with Deborah over this line of books for Dark Quest.

I especially wanted to thank you for paying me for the job that I did on Seth; I realize that you'd paid Deborah for it already and I very much appreciate the gesture in paying me on top of that (since I never recieved payment from DogSoul). And I wanted to post publicly that you have restored some of my faith in the RPG publishing community with this act.

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing Morrigan published too.

Laura

Neal is a stand-up guy. Dark Quest is a small company but has always been fair and honest in my experience. I am saddened that someone working with them might have reflected poorly on them. The fact that he paid you despite paying for the work already is a sign of his honesty and fairness

Patrick
Edit: distractions, sigh...

John Cooper

Explorer
I'm glad you had the nerve to stand up for yourself. But gosh darn, if I were a publisher, I'd think long and hard about this thread if you came to me looking for a job.
Actually, I would hope that anybody hiring me to do a freelancing job would intend to pay me, and thus would have no fears about this thread. I've worked for around a dozen different RPG publishers over the years, and I've never had to resort to this kind of thing for any of them but Dog Soul Publishing.

Laura, I'm glad to hear that things worked out well for you. And Neal, that was indeed a class act.

Charke

Explorer
You've done this thread well and there are good things to consider from it. You're very determined and resourceful.

Mark Charke

HinterWelt

First Post
Actually, I would hope that anybody hiring me to do a freelancing job would intend to pay me, and thus would have no fears about this thread. I've worked for around a dozen different RPG publishers over the years, and I've never had to resort to this kind of thing for any of them but Dog Soul Publishing.

Laura, I'm glad to hear that things worked out well for you. And Neal, that was indeed a class act.

John,
The concerns I would have is that I know little of you but this thread. Therefore, my view of you is one of a freelancer who conducted themselves well in the face of adversity. On the other side, I only know of you airing the negative about a publisher who has wronged you. I do not see you starting threads (again to my very limited knowledge) praising those publishers you have worked for.

I tend to like looking on the freelancers I work with as partners. People who will praise me or damn as I treat with them. I have gone back and unprompted or legally bound in any way to pay artists for reuse of their art in further editions(Roma True20). So, it is not that I "fear" you would expose me if I did not pay you, I would expect that, but that you may view any relationship with a publisher as adversarial.

Let me stress, I think you conducted yourself very professionally in this thread. I want no doubt of that. However, these types of threads are always losing propositions, IMO, for all involved. A sad reality to be sure.

Bill

Remove ads