• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bracers of Mighty Striking: Near Useless?

Victoly

First Post
Forgive me if I'm missing something here (I hope I am), but the Bracers of Mighty Striking seem really bad to me. Two more damage on my basic melee attacks? Well, I guess that applies to OAs, but basic melee attacks are used so rarely otherwise that I'm having a hard time seeing the point of this item.

Is there something I'm missing here? Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I didn't see anything in the collected errata about it...

Goolpsy

First Post
Some AT-Will's count as melee Basic attacks.. which the bracers will apply damage to.
In larger/longer battles, more of such attacks will be made, increasing the use of the bracers.
Bracers are cheap too xD

Victoly

First Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only at-wills that count as basic attacks are Magic Missile (Wizard) and Eldritch Blast (Warlock), which are both ranged - hence me not calling out the Bracers of the Perfect Shot as being quite as bad.

Mort_Q

First Post
Torg Smith said:
They are a benefit to opportunity attacks.

This, and all the free attacks granted by Warlord powers, and the like.

I'm sure we'll see more powers that qualify as basic melee attacks in the Martial Powers book in October.

Kaodi

Hero
Also, there are plenty of situations in which it is no better to make an at-will attack than a basic attack, as both will do the same damage but the at-will may have an extra effect that is not needed.

Nikodemus

First Post
If you have a warlord with commander's strike, this becomes an amazing low level item. A dwarf swinging a maul for 2d6+11 damage makes for a very solid level 1 at will power.

Space Butler

First Post
I was playing a warlord, and we gave a bracers of mighty striking to the two-weapon fighting ranger. Having my Hammer and Anvil technique allow him to make a 1d10 + 10 attack in addition to my attack (at first level) came in pretty handy.

Remove ads