• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brain STORM!

What game to run?

• D20 Modern

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Star Wars

• Mutants and Masterminds Superheroes

• Mutants and Masterminds Superspies

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • None of the above! Here's my idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Universe

First Post
So, here's what I'm thinking for what I'd like to run (others may wish to run something as well) over our indefinite hiatus:

1) D20 Modern, Near Future/Present. Heavily influenced by Dark*Matter. Think the X-Files with a slightly less dark twist. I've been wanting to run something like this for a long time. There are things man should not know. Shoot them.

2) D20 Modern, circa 1890 (Also probably using D20 Past/Sidewinder: Recoiled). The Old West, Victorian England, Darkest Africa and all of that. High adventure. Think a slightly less "super" League of Extraordinary Gentleman. The age of Cowboys, the decline of the Samurai, and Bram Stoker's Dracula (as an example).

3) Star Wars - Either a rebel Starfighter Squadron or a SpecOps team. More military-based. Perhaps thematically similar to Battlestar: Galactica (but with notably fewer Cylons).

4) Mutants and Masterminds - SUPERHEROES! Crazy powerful! Super flexible!

5) Mutants and Masterminds - same rules, different twist - use it to run a a game of superspies of the James Bond caliber.

If you want to take a break from DMing in general, Kennon - I would be more than willing to run a Mutants and Masterminds game for the whole group.

My idea would be as such - the United States developed a "Supers" program towards the end of WWII. Orginally, the program was to be the ultimate demise of the Nazis and Japanese, but they fell as the program was receiving its finishing touches.

As such, the Supers (you guys) were cryo. frozen in a top secret Supers HQ and saved "just in case" something so awful happened that the world's armed forces could not handle it... and - in the not-too-distant future - that something happens. *cue super hero music*

I'm happy to play out any of your ideas.

However, my only reservation is a Star Wars game. My knowledge of the Star Wars universe is limited, which makes playing a little weird from time to time (makes me feel kind of "out of the loop" on a fairly regular basis).

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I'm happy to play out any of your ideas.

However, my only reservation is a Star Wars game. My knowledge of the Star Wars universe is limited, which makes playing a little weird from time to time (makes me feel kind of "out of the loop" on a fairly regular basis).
It's pretty easy to catch up on Star Wars - watch the movies. Think of it like the early stages of a D&D campaign (you don't know every detail about the world at level 1). As it progresses, the details coalesce as necessary. Star Wars isn't any different, except that instead of coming out of the GM's mind entirely, there is an independent reference that has some of the important bits already laid out for you. That being said, the main reason that I would be interested in running Star Wars is because of Ep. III, and because it was once a universe I knew very well.

I fully intend to run SOMETHING - Star Wars has the benefit of being a familiar sandbox for me, even if it's not for all of you. The upside is that it lets me recycle certain ideas and situations from the long forgotten past.

Xath

Moder-gator
Star Wars is also my reservation. I like the movies, and D6 is fun for a 1-shot, but that's about as far as my interest takes me.

Laurel

First Post
Just what I am thinking right now.....

Pro's and Con's of why I voted what I voted:
1) D20 Modern, Near Future/Present. Heavily influenced by Dark*Matter. Think the X-Files with a slightly less dark twist. I've been wanting to run something like this for a long time. There are things man should not know. Shoot them.
Did I mention I was once addicted to this show!!!! That should say it all :)

2) D20 Modern, circa 1890 (Also probably using D20 Past/Sidewinder: Recoiled). The Old West, Victorian England, Darkest Africa and all of that. High adventure. Think a slightly less "super" League of Extraordinary Gentleman. The age of Cowboys, the decline of the Samurai, and Bram Stoker's Dracula (as an example).
Though with all the samuri stuff in KOA and all the other options I vote for this minus the 'delcine of the samuri' part. I think it could be cool another time. I like the rest sounds fun and different, complete change up.

3) Star Wars - Either a rebel Starfighter Squadron or a SpecOps team. More military-based. Perhaps thematically similar to Battlestar: Galactica (but with notably fewer Cylons).
Not everyones cup of tea, and so far the only one shots I have done have ALL been SW. none bad... well maybe the 7am no plan one :)

4) Mutants and Masterminds - SUPERHEROES! Crazy powerful! Super flexible!
Sounds like City of Heroes which I wanted to play (and still do if WoW wasn't already sucking my life and time away) X-men is what comes to my mind for this, and sounds interesting.

5) Mutants and Masterminds - same rules, different twist - use it to run a a game of superspies of the James Bond caliber.
eh.... spies can be cool, but if going with M&M I like the Superhero twist better. In all honesty Superheroes to me is more group oriented.

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Pro's and Con's of why I voted what I voted:
Did I mention I was once addicted to this show!!!! That should say it all :)
Cool. I should add that if I were to run this, it would be notably more...adventurous than X-files TV show. Also, the ending won't suck quite as hard. I promise.

Though with all the samuri stuff in KOA and all the other options I vote for this minus the 'delcine of the samuri' part. I think it could be cool another time. I like the rest sounds fun and different, complete change up.
Samurai stuff would definitely not be a focus - it was just thrown in there as a reminder that, at that point in history, pretty much every kind of adventure is fair game in the real world. You could really have a samurai and a cowboy and an european nobility all sharing a train car going from Point A to Point B, and you don't even have to break history to have it make sense!

Not everyones cup of tea, and so far the only one shots I have done have ALL been SW. none bad... well maybe the 7am no plan one :)
Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea - but it does have the opportunity to have everyone start off as a team, and has the benefit of me knowing it almost as well as the stuff I just make up.

Sounds like City of Heroes which I wanted to play (and still do if WoW wasn't already sucking my life and time away) X-men is what comes to my mind for this, and sounds interesting.
I'm not sure if it would be X-men or Justice League (or something else entirely) but that's sort of the speed I was thinking, yes. The problem is that it's not based on advancement like D&D is. Does anyone have (or are willing to get) the Mutants and Masterminds book?

eh.... spies can be cool, but if going with M&M I like the Superhero twist better. In all honesty Superheroes to me is more group oriented.
Fair enough. I think a lot of the stuff I'm thinking about for this can be accomplished elsewhere.

My definate preference is to play Mutants and Masterminds or d20 Modern (1890's would be great).

EDIT - But the quality of Episode III could really make me want to play SW. My reservation is based - not on the fact that I do not understand the information presented in the movies, but because it's really intimidating and sometimes uncomfortable to play a game with people who know WAY WAY WAY more about the world that you're playing in.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Well, if we play Star Wars, it's probably going to be in an era/location that pretty much just Tim would know a lot about. And me. But I think pretty much everyone is on a relatively level playing field, Star Wars wise.

Does someone besides me know of the significance of the Atrivis and Generis Sectors of the Star Wars galaxy? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads