Brainstorm: Every Race Imaginable/Special NPC d100 List

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Posted this also on RPG.net, but figured this is something that getting the widest grouping possible is good:

Normally things such as Races I can think up on the fly but with the sheer abudance in my upcoming campaign I figured it be best to brainstorm a whole big list of them.

The campaign is set on a endless plane in primarily the main cities on it. What makes it stand out in regard to the brainstorming is that these cities consist of all the races in existence from every world, plane, pocket of existence, etc. being forced to become refugees on this plane thanks to a new universe swallowing the hold (they don't know this yet).

As such, I want to build a huge grouping of race ideas and perhaps special cultural quirks for them.

So far I have:
  • All the races already shown in 4e (and coming in Eberron). The vast majority of intelligent races in the MM. There is some refluffing there like Tieflings being 2e version.
  • A ell-like-race that existed in the Aether. They now when travelling about are inside metallic structures attached to the back of organic constructs (think like the evil aliens from Perfect Dark).
  • Modron.
  • A satyr like race except gazelle instead of goat.
  • A humanoid race that wears long robes and some manner of containment suit with full helmet. A white glow comes from the slits in the helmet.
  • Cat, technically just one being but inhabits dozens of different cats, so semi-race like.
Also, if you have ideas on what 4e race stats could work well with such races please say so. Same with any race ideas you think up. Or monsters that would work for combat versions of the races.

Also, for Cat, I am thinking instead of normally just thinking up its quirks on the fly of doing a d100 list. Now as for what Cat is:
Cat is unusual being. It is a hivemind that inhabits various black cats across the city. It is believed that it inhabits them long after death, based off the various partially rotten cats it is seen acting through.

Each of the cats shares one another memories, and speaks through one another. If you speak to one, you speak to all. When you do, you better say it’s name properly, remember that “C” in Cat, not cat. You see Cat has its quirks, beyond those of a normal cat. It doesn’t help that its mind is cramped into the brain of a cats (which may or may not be rotting in that one body). Some speak in a accent, others got a nervous twitch, while a few only respond to bizarre code names and act in macabre or archaic ways.

Few know about Cat, but those that do seek it out for the knowledge it has and can acquire. A cat is a useful vessel for gaining information across the city. Be it the workings of the underground, what the newest Sensate fad is, or simply what is the best place to eat. You should be prepared to pay. It changes for each cat, some like a simple scratch behind the ear, others a bite to eat, some would like to see you dance a jig, or sing a song. The most focused wish for random and seemingly harmless arcane information or items.

Just remember when you meet Cat, to say the “C”.
So what sort of unusual traits would go along with each cat that Cat inhabits. Perhaps combined with unusual physical traits, ie; how rotten it is, or if say a small child tried dressing it up, etc.

Last edited:

Stormtalon

First Post
First off, I'd say you have to have (even if ya gotta kitbash 'em yerself) Mongrelmen in this world. They seem like they'd be a perfect fit.

Now, for something a bit more out there. You seem to have a definite lack of fungoid races (unless you're tossing in the Myconids, which also should go in), and I had an odd idea for this. It'd be a sentient mold, but nothing like the hazardous yellow/rust types. No, this is a cheese mold that, due to an odd planar fluctuation, has attained not only intelligence but also the ability to manipulate its most common growing substrate and move around with a dexterity approaching that of the usual races.

They have a terror of rats, of course, and tend to doubt the intentions of anyone they meet, until it's proven that their new friends actually don't want to serve them with crackers....

(sorry, was feeling very silly there)

amnuxoll

First Post
I'm confused about what you want here. Are you asking us to point out published races you are missing or help you invent new ones?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah just like, if you were to think of what be a interesting, bizarre race what would it be like. Since like I said in the OP all the planar races now inhabit this one plane in a number of cities so I imagine that all manner of races would be there from the mundane to the almost unimaginable. I want to build a huge list of them to really showcase how diverse it is.

I've actually been toying with a fungal race that is a hivemind/hivebody. They have a symbiote race that carries their spores and plants them (in this case in the cities) and they slowly spread out. As it develops though different segments of the fungi develops their own personalities but communicate with one another.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Another race I thought up:
They are a quiet race that does not speak to other races but diligently perform the jobs requested of them. When they first appeared along with other refugees, they were simply glass tubes containing liquid and body parts; the brain, eyes, spinal cord, etc. They soon founded a deal with the Ell race and built their own containment structure attached to the organic construct. People do not know if they once had bodies or not.

I am also thinking up cultural traits that cross species:
I am thinking "identification markings" would be one. Since there is such a diverse range of species. Identifying unique members of them could be proven difficult so a elaborate pattern of markings (either non-permanent or permanent) are displayed on the face or other parts of the body (or for some races what would be focused on as the face). They would be in white or black and in contrast to the skin colour of the person.

Certain colours have also risen to prominence for clothing and design. It is partially a reflection of the new plane they live in and the majority of the species personal tastes. Warm colours are predominant such as red, brown, brass, gold, etc. This is most commonly displayed on cloaks or robes worn openly by different members of the races.

Also don't forget the second part, which I think be most fun to think up stuff for, the different quirks that different cats that make up Cat would have.

Remove ads