D&D 4E Brainstorming a "Phil. of 4e 101" resource

If we're talking about a 4e type manifesto similar to this( http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1314 ), then I think a few things that should go into it should include mentions of how the character is the star, players should be mechanically challenged throughout the campaign, team work is of utmost importance, players should always have options whether in creating/leveling their character or in combat on a round-to-round basis, and details agnosticism should encourage greater creativity.

OK, so, what is a vision statement for 4e then?

1) The characters are the stars. Story is king.

2) Monsters and challenges serve the character's story too.

3) Treasures and items don't overshadow story and character.

4) The game is about the character's journey, not a contest to win advancement.

5) The rules are there to help you do what you want and have fun, not to limit your game. Reflavor, extrapolate, and extemporize.

6) The crazier, the better. Keep the action going, go from danger to even bigger danger. If its crazy now, make it crazier. If it isn't on fire, burn it. If it isn't falling down, knock it over. If it doesn't fly, why not?

7) Simple rules that cover everything and then get out of your way. All the things that happen in the game can be summarized with one mechanic. The rules are there to help, not to be puzzled over and memorized.

8) World building and story creation are a shared activity.

9) Ease of play at the table. Leave the complex parts for character building. The focus in play is on the play, not on obscure rules.

10) Remember, its a fantasy game, have fun.

Just playing with that, lol. I don't think this is particularly canonical, but maybe I hit most of the salient points somewhere in there?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Right, I think I'm not really super invested in making it come out a certain way. Its [MENTION=6790260]EzekielRaiden[/MENTION] 's thread, so its to some extent his call really as to what his vision is.

Yeah, I've been thinking on this tension, between pure "philosophy" and pure "practice," for a while (part of why I haven't posted in a bit--though, admittedly, only part). I see the thread as an open discussion more than a "my vision" kind of thing; I would never dream of suggesting that I know or have seen enough to really "direct" the whole thing by myself. At very most, it's a primus inter pares deal. With that said, though...

I see the 'howto' thing as being kind of an endless swamp though, you can expound forever on how to run 4e. It almost seems like no one short document can really capture that at a useful level of detail, though I guess that may just be my perspective. A philosophical statement OTOH might be finite in scope and lay out the essence of the sort of game it is. Everything else then just needs to be viewed by the reader in that light and they can come to an appreciation of how to play (at which point they can of course benefit from howtos, etc).

More or less, I think both sides have a clear "failure case" and a clear "ideal case" too. For the pure-philosophy "manifesto" type, the ideal is simply to reveal the fundamental truth, so that practice naturally follows. The hope is that people who want to like/appreciate it, but have struggled to do so, simply need a paradigm shift and can then stand on their own, like a person with healthy legs who has never considered the idea of walking. The "failure case" is when someone totally groks the paradigm shift as a result of reading the manifesto, but has no idea how to deal with the practical issues, which is more like telling someone all the high-concept functions of a computer or even a particular program ("Excel is perfect for <list of spreadsheet-appropriate tasks>") without explaining anything about the syntax or methods for doing it. (As a personal aside: I never really NEEDED the "this is how to use various Microsoft document software" class I took in college, but it did actually teach me a lot of useful-but-not-critical things, mostly in Excel, that make it a MUCH more useful program to me than it was before.)

For the pure-practice "how-to" type, the ideal is fairly obviously to give practical application, that it's a praxis, not a theoria, since the goal is to produce a behavior and elicit a reaction. Give someone a calculator, and you'll need to show them what things do what--but it's up to them to feed it good data. The risk, then, is creating a movement of mere mimicry and thought-free replication, rather than one of reasoned practice with models as a particular way for that "reason" to become reality.

If you can't tell, I think a degree of both things is useful. There are definitely some "pure philosophy/explanation" things that just need to be spelled out, conceptually, so people understand what 4e is, what it tries to accomplish. At the same time, solving commonly-addressed issues like "combat takes forever" is, IMO, beyond the ability of a "manifesto." A manifesto can shout from the rooftops "combats should matter! a combat that gets boring is a combat that failed to do its job!" all it likes, and still fail to actually help people achieve that goal. To that end, then, I think we should collect and discuss elements of both sides, and shoot for a structure like...

<PART I: MANIFESTO>
<pithy, punchy summary of all points>
<in-depth explanations/discussions>

<PART II: PRAXIS>
<examples, where appropriate, of each pithy/punchy concept>

The explicit advice, then, would be to COMPLETELY read and try to understand Part I before ever looking at Part II. The first part is, then, essentially foundation: how to get your concepts framed in 4e-compatible way. The second part, which some people may not strictly need, is then a selection of practical examples--strongly stressing that MERELY copying them into your game will not produce as good of results as understanding why they are examples, and then creating your own constructions for the same reasons as the provided examples were created. To that end, it might be better to give examples less in a "THIS THING WORKS" kind of way, but in a "we have a Thing To Do, let's build a solution to it" kind of way. Less "example" and more "how-to," the way a Bob Ross video works.

Anyway, I don't want to clutter up Zeke's thread with my maunderings.

Nah, keep it up. All of the stuff I've seen thus far has been good, even great. It's more a matter of getting it into the right presentation than whether we need "philosophy" or "example" pieces, because (as stated) I think we need both. And if we're specifically intending to avoid the problems I (and I assume others) have had with the "Old School Primer" and its...less-than-friendly examples, a thorough investigation of what presentation we want, and how we want to achieve it, is a very good thing too.

Sure, theory and practice are both key. My thinking was perhaps that there's TONS of practice out there. It deserves to be collected and codified perhaps, but then I suspect there's a ton of codifications too! I've never really seen an exposition of a manifesto stating the theory in a totally concise way. We've had PLENTY of discussions that have surely examined and refined it, but nobody ever really distilled it down to a small amount of text that you could read and absorb in the manner of (I assume, since if I read it I did so long ago and my memory of the event is foggy) this "Old School Manifesto". I presume the one that was linked to here, was another variation, not the original canonical version from which 'OSR' seems to trace its origin (at least for some, no need to dig into THAT can of worms...).

pemerton

Legend
Honestly I don't think that many fantasy novels EVER venture into epic territory
Part of the Silmarillion, perhaps - where elven warriors take on platoons of balrogs.

I think one thing a "primer" for 4e needs to mention is that the fit between fiction and mechanics is loose. This got discussed at lot in the "Why does 5e SUCK?" thread.

Two practical examples of looseness of fit that might be given.

(1) What, exactly, "heroic", "paragon" and "epic" mean is up for grabs with the group: contrast the default (where epic means fighting demon princes on their home plane) with Chris Perkins Iomandra (where epic means having a fleet of ships at your command) with Dark Sun (where epic means being able to take on the sorcerous rulers of the city states) with Neverwinter (which deliberately scales down typically paragon monsters to enable paragon-tier story on a heroic mechanical chassis). The important thing is for the GM to maintain story consistency.

(2) Following on from (1), whether an epic character can make an Athletics check to jump to the moon isn't settled by the rule books - it's something for the group to work out, mostly via play. As the GM sets parameters for which action declarations are permissible and impermissible, and as the group has its adventures, these sorts of genre parameters will (hopefully) emerge fairly organically.

Tony Vargas

Legend
(2) Following on from (1), whether an epic character can make an Athletics check to jump to the moon isn't settled by the rule books
I guess it technically depends on how high the moon is, but, yeah, the rules for a vertical jump are pretty clear, and not that different in 3e vs 4e vs 5e, IIRC.

Y'know how when the moon rises and it looks like it's like right on top of a building on a hill, or like it's been caught in the branches of a tree? In a fantasy world where those appearances are literally true, an epic character could make an Athletics check to jump to the moon. That's about it.

Jump's just a bad example.

I guess it technically depends on how high the moon is, but, yeah, the rules for a vertical jump are pretty clear, and not that different in 3e vs 4e vs 5e, IIRC.

Y'know how when the moon rises and it looks like it's like right on top of a building on a hill, or like it's been caught in the branches of a tree? In a fantasy world where those appearances are literally true, an epic character could make an Athletics check to jump to the moon. That's about it.

I think we're accepting that there's some stretching in a few of the skill check DC calculations there. 4e DOES nail down a FEW things, like how hard certain doors are to open, etc. Its not much though, and tweaking it doesn't have a lot of impact on the system, really. I guess really high level fighters might obsolete a few wizard powers, though I suspect it won't happen at levels where it really matters, or they will still be useful choices for other reasons.

The contrast is with say AD&D, where anything outside of class features never progresses at all, or 3.x where there are just such a mass of rules systems attached to the skill tree that you're going to have to think carefully about a lot of stuff if you rescale a whole bunch. In either case it isn't literally impossible, by any means, but combined with the less forgiving nature of task resolution and lack of story-centered mechanics it really isn't encouraged. Both systems scream "base things on reality" not "jump over the Moon." (at least IMHO).

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think we're accepting that there's some stretching in a few of the skill check DC calculations there. 4e DOES nail down a FEW things, like how hard certain doors are to open, etc.
High Jumps happen to be one of those nailed down things in 4e. And you might as well be nailed to the floor, for all your chances of jumping to the moon, or even over a castle wall, in that system.

pemerton

Legend
Maybe.

The rules for jumping distance are clearly connected to the combat resolution/movement rules. I think it's an open question whether they're meant to apply in the context of a skill challenge, and that's something a primer would need to discuss.

To give another example, the rule that says you can't move through an enemy's space seems pretty concrete to, but then what about the use of Acrobatics to flip over an enemy? According to the RC that's a Hard check.

Maybe.

The rules for jumping distance are clearly connected to the combat resolution/movement rules. I think it's an open question whether they're meant to apply in the context of a skill challenge, and that's something a primer would need to discuss.

To give another example, the rule that says you can't move through an enemy's space seems pretty concrete to, but then what about the use of Acrobatics to flip over an enemy? According to the RC that's a Hard check.

Yeah, there's that too, but I'd contend that the exact scaling of things like jumping is such a small detail in 4e that, while you could call it house ruling, its essentially just a matter of taste. Conceivably you might 'break' some sort of published adventure WRT a high Athletics character at paragon or whatever where the scaling starts to make jumping really remarkably better than RAW, but overall its not going to really bend the game, or create issues with other subsystems.

AD&D simply has no mechanical way to express the concept of "higher level PCs can make huge jumps and other athletic feats", though you can simply allow it, much like Pemerton is suggesting you can allow it in a 4e SC, though how to adjudicate any success/fail is of course left as an exercise for the GM in these 'classic' versions of D&D.

3.x certainly allows for variation in scaling, you could adjust the scaling of jumping easily enough, just like you could in 4e, but since there's a rule for all of 500 other activities that you might want to scale differently you could be doing a lot of work there, and these checks are sometimes worked into other subsystems, so there's somewhat more interdependency there that 4e's loose OOC task design doesn't generally have.

Remove ads