• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

British and Irish Lion tour Australia

Joker

First Post
Is anyone following the Lions' tour down under?

Barring today's game against the Brumbies, I've been impressed with some of the combinations played.

So far my favorite game was the one against the Reds, with Quade Cooper dictating a thrilling fast paced game against the tourists.

What do you guys like about the tour so far and which side do you support?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Barring today's game against the Brumbies..
First loss in 40 years if I understood correctly, yes? And Wallabies next, which I suspect will go for the Lions.

Haven't seriously followed the sport for a while, so I really have no idea who to root for. But they've had good matches.

Dioltach

Legend
I haven't managed to catch any of the games live, but I've seen a couple on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the Tuilagi/O'Driscoll centre combination or, dare I say it, Twelvetrees/O'Driscoll.

My biggest question marks concern the selection policy, and what will happen if and when some more of the first-choice players are injured. We saw yesterday that drafting in a bunch of inexperienced or semi-retired replacements on a few days' notice doesn't work, even against an understrength provincial side.

On a related note, I was very pleased that the BBC broadcast England's games against the Pumas.

Joker

First Post
First blood to the Lions!

It was quite a thrilling game. Some great individual pieces of brilliance with Foloa showing great running. I do feel a little bad for the Wallabies after losing four players to injury, three of which possible concussions. If they are deemed severe enough, they'll be out for the rest of the series. I gotta wonder about the their strength and condition regimen. Last year, they were dropping like flies and at one point had to play with 14 players because of injuries.

I can't really see how Quade Cooper isn't gonna be called up now. O'Connor is an excellent player but while he's adept at playing 10, he needs to go to the center position where his stepping can do some serious damage. Barnes is out as well which realistically only leaves Beale at fly-half if Cooper isn't selected.

What did you guys think of the match?

Joker

First Post
First loss in 40 years if I understood correctly, yes? And Wallabies next, which I suspect will go for the Lions.

Haven't seriously followed the sport for a while, so I really have no idea who to root for. But they've had good matches.

Yeah, I think 40 years since they lost to a provincial side in Australia.

Root for the Lions.

Joker

First Post
Needs more Scots. :D

Who would you consider good enough given the current Lions set-up? Visser? He's a defensive nightmare. The only one I can think of is Johnny Beattie but he's going up against Faletau, Heaslip and Sean O'Brien.
I was a bit disappointed not to see Gray or Hogg in there today but given the competition it's understandable. I would like to see Maitland instead of Cuthbert next time around. He's better defensively as well.

Who would you consider good enough given the current Lions set-up? Visser? He's a defensive nightmare. The only one I can think of is Johnny Beattie but he's going up against Faletau, Heaslip and Sean O'Brien.
I was a bit disappointed not to see Gray or Hogg in there today but given the competition it's understandable. I would like to see Maitland instead of Cuthbert next time around. He's better defensively as well.

I'm a big fan of Greg Laidlaw - I think he would've been a good shout, as he's one of the most consistent performers out there. I get that there is competition, but I think he'd of been worth a call up.

Dioltach

Legend
Good call on Laidlaw, I agree he would be a great addition to the tour. A great player who has been one of the reasons for Scotland's improved performances lately. I daresay he might have been above Murray and Youngs in the scrum-half pecking order, and he's no mean no. 10 either.

That said, the Lions' loss is Scotland's gain, and I think in the long term it's better for Scotland to have their core group of players spending as much time together as possible. Curiously, their situation is exactly the opposite of England's, where the absences from the party touring Argentina presented an opportunity for Stuart Lancaster to increase the depth of his squad; Scotland don't have the players yet to be building depth, and should focus on improving their first-choice squad and their performances together.

Remove ads