Broken things errata'ed, July 2009

Obryn

Hero
Yep, previously it was like a one-target Twin Strike. It put Tempest fighters up there with Strikers as far as single-target damage output goes.

Amazingly enough, this may make Dual Weapons more balanced, as well.

-O

Elric

First Post
This will have a huge impact on some existing BRV builds. If your build doesn't use Invigorating powers, you just got a lot weaker than if you're already using Invigorating powers.

For example, consider a Tide of Iron based Iron Vanguard Dwarf BRV fighter with Improved Vigor and Dwarven Stoneblood who doesn't currently have any Invigorating powers. He just had two feats rendered useless for him and for his class feature to be especially useful it now requires the invigorating powers that he hasn't taken.

Plus, under the retraining rules, he can't even switch back to Weapon Talent (obviously, GMs can and should be very generous about this, but I wonder what LFR players will do).

Obryn

Hero
Well, I honestly appreciate anything which scales back the BRV Fighter who's built as a normal Weapon + Shield fighter.

If I had any in my game, I would be extremely forgiving and allow a total rebuild of these characters. I hadn't given much thought to LFR games, but then again, I also don't care. ;)

-O

Kordeth

First Post
Looks like RRoT now doesn't actually do anything unless you have a magic weapon or a high crit weapon. I think I'd add a caveat that if you don't get to roll any extra damage on a crit, you can roll 1d6. Other than that, good changes.

Pickles JG

First Post
I wonder if Guileful Switch is any use at all now, I can't think of any.

Should have been a daily IMO.

Mind you I am happy to see all of the class features & powers I consider problematic addressed so I will live with this one (or rather without it due to retraining :)).

Lancelot

Adventurer
Great stuff, WotC. :D

I'm ambivalent on the changes to rain of blows and dual strike (they were never problems in my game), but the fixes to battlerage vigor, guileful switch and righteous rage are exactly what was needed.

BRV and GS have caused significant issues in my games (...BRV to the point where I ended up banning it; the only 4e ban in my game to date, and I hated doing it). RRoT hasn't come up yet, but it was clearly overpowered compared to other channel divinity feats.

Kordeth

First Post
I wonder if Guileful Switch is any use at all now, I can't think of any.

Initiative order goes warlord, monster, rogue.

Rogue and warlord are flanking monster, but monster will be able to shift/teleport away on its turn.

Warlord uses guileful switch, rogue gets opportunity to sneak attack monster before it gets away.

Apply the same principle to any scenario where you act before the monster and you want your ally to do something to it before its turn comes around.

Pickles JG

First Post
Looks like RRoT now doesn't actually do anything unless you have a magic weapon or a high crit weapon. I think I'd add a caveat that if you don't get to roll any extra damage on a crit, you can roll 1d6. Other than that, good changes.

Anyone who takes this without a high crit magic weapon is too dumb to save.

Pickles JG

First Post
Initiative order goes warlord, monster, rogue.

Rogue and warlord are flanking monster, but monster will be able to shift/teleport away on its turn.

Warlord uses guileful switch, rogue gets opportunity to sneak attack monster before it gets away.

Apply the same principle to any scenario where you act before the monster and you want your ally to do something to it before its turn comes around.

I thought of this just after - it lets you get two goes with a high damage striker/controller &c when the situtation is set up for your team. I suspect this is too altruistic for me, not to say its situtational but would fit someone who I play with who has been known to delay for rounds after round....

Dannager

First Post
Plus, under the retraining rules, he can't even switch back to Weapon Talent (obviously, GMs can and should be very generous about this, but I wonder what LFR players will do).
LFR players can retrain a class feature (along with up to 2 powers and 2 feats) at any one point during their character's career. So they should be just fine.

Remove ads