Bruce Cordell leaves WotC

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Nahhh, he lost his mojo after Sunless Citadel. Seriously, check out his 3E work: it deteriorated rapidly from about the time of his first Malhavoc Press adventure.

Huh. I liked The Sinister Spire as mentioned above, I thought Bastion of Broken Souls was a good read, and I thought the same of Return to Catle Ravenloft - including some of its more controversial additions.

Gundark

Explorer
I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the WotC severance package was relatively good? In which case, it would seem wiser to hold on, collect the money, and then go work for your friend.

Honestly, I wouldn't read anything into this. People leave companies all the time, and for all sorts of reasons. Maybe Bruce just wanted a change of scenery. Maybe he felt "my work here is done".

Yeah I think you're right about this. With no information it would be a mistake to assume anything other than people make career changes in their lives.

delericho

Legend
Huh. I liked The Sinister Spire as mentioned above...

Yeah. I consider that 3e's "Shattered Circle" - an adventure published late in the edition that therefore never quite gets the recognition it deserves.

And, of course, both were at least part-authored by BC.

JeffB

Legend
??

"Shattered Circle" is a 2e adventure; "The Sinister Spire" is the 3e equivalent. Hence, I consider "The Sinister Spire" to be 3e's "Shattered Circle".

I know what you meant,but at casual glance it reads like an error. Prolly why Al "corrected it" for you.

On topic, I liked The Sunless Citadel. Some.nice homage to B1 in there. Shattered Circle was good too, but his 2e Return To's, and 4e FR work along with other 3/4e modules really were a snoozefest ( I liked the idea of the FR re-set, it was just done horribly).

Remove ads