Bruce Cordell leaves WotC

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Which is possible, of course, but the great thing about an open playtest is that we can see the state of the project

An excellent point. We have been able to see the project for some time. Is there some reason to think that somehow, with Mearls still at the head, there's going to be a major design direction change from this departure? If not, then there's no reason to worry - or there has always been reason to worry.

I think this is just regular turnover at Wizards.

With what looks to be the basic engine of the game in place, it could simple be, "Well, it is largely baked at this point. My work here is done! Time to do something else!"

And, for those who were hoping to see him do adventures - whether or not he can do that will depend upon the licensing WotC uses. We'll have to see how that turns out.

Wrox

First Post
Bruce and Monte didn't seem as intimately involved as Mike, James, and their cadre. I wouldn't worry too too much.
Keep in mind that D&D Next had 3 primary designers at the start: Monte Cook, Bruce Cordell, and Robert Schwalb. Two of these designers have since left. Mearls and Wyatt are both managers.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Perhaps Mr. Cordell has seen a writing on the wall? With WotC's history of firing experienced staff on a nearly regular basis and with 18 years of employment on your personnel records there are worse ideas than to look around for interesting job opportunities.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Daggnabit, I was looking forward to (I hoped) Bruce writing lots of adventures for Next.
Depending how forgiving the new OGL / GSL is, he may still write some 3rd party Next adventures.

Fingers crossed!

Also, I'll wish Bruce all the best in whatever he does next. He's been a staple of D&D for so long, it will be odd not to see his name on any of the books...

Iosue

Legend

Remove ads