Bruno’s Earth, a D&D clone heartbreaker from 1986, on Amazon now.

darjr

I crit!
I came across this walking copyright violation of a D&D clone a little while ago. I haven’t bought it but might just to have it. Some folks have, apparently.

It’s a AD&D clone that used % resolution. Seems reviewers universally say it’s bad and blatantly violates copyright.

It seems the author passed away a couple years ago so I’m not sure who’s actually selling this.

This is an expansion to the game that fills in the holes and gets rid of the obscure contradictory rules. It is more consitent and more detailed, yet easier to play. The games on the shelves these days are so complex and have so many volumes of rules, a dozen lawyers couldn't sort it out. Bruno's Earth goes back to the beginning and rebuilds from scratch, enhancing all aspects that make the game fun to play and fizes all the problems that made it hard to play. Bruno's Earth is a trim, detailed, cohesive game system that is fun to play and easy to learn

There is a monster book as well.

And it’s cheap. A create space book. Is that like early print on demand?

It’s odd to think that there is a warehouse of these 40 year old books.

Anyone ever get this?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Worth buying? I actually really enjoyed reading through The World of Synnibarr for all the loopy ideas. Ninjas, Bio Syntha Cyborgs, Golden and Scarlet Tigers...it's like Concentrated 80s Extract. Anything like that here?

Froderik

Explorer
I bought a copy of the game book and the creature manual two years ago. It's clearly POD as both books have a date on the last page that matches the day I purchased them through Amazon. I'll be honest, I haven't spent much time reading them, but the author has some interesting design choices when it come to building his fantasy heartbreaker. For example, player races: Human, Albino, Dwarf, Elf, Giant, Gnome, Hobbits, and Orc. Character classes are: Fighter, Martial Artist, Ranger, Thief, Cleric, Druid, Mage, and Psychic. Ability scores are 1-100, but generated in one of three ways: 3d6 x5 (rounded to increments of 5), 3d30 (rounded to increments of 5), or 4d24. The eight abilities are: Charisma, Intelligence, Memory, Wisdom, Comeliness, Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength. In addition to abilities, a player has "Senses" scores they roll up: Awareness, Vision, Hearing, Smell, Taste, and Touch.

The game has a copyright of 1986 listed, though it's clearly full of stolen artwork. The author notes in the creature manual that he intends to replace the borrowed artwork with artwork of his own, but acknowledges the fact that he probably won't live long enough to finish the work.

All-in-all, not a game system I'd ever run, but its an interesting artifact to leaf through and ask yourself, WTF?

Last edited:

I bought a copy of the game book and the creature manual two years ago. It's clearly POD as both books have a date on the last page that matches the day I purchased them through Amazon. I'll be honest, I haven't spent much time reading them, but the author has some interesting design choices when it come to building his fantasy heartbreaker. For example, player races: Human, Albino, Dwarf, Elf, Giant, Gnome, Hobbits, and Orc. Character classes are: Fighter, Martian Artist, Ranger, Thief, Cleric, Druid, Mage, and Psychic.
Martian Artist… That's not something I thought I'd want to play but now that I think about it…

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Martian Artist… That's not something I thought I'd want to play but now that I think about it…
He’d make a great Bard.

1700268915591.jpeg

Remove ads