• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

build-a-bard workshop

i'm considering playing a bard in an upcoming campaign. i would need to fill a lot of roles - arcane support, healing and direct combat - but that doesn't mean i can't have a dominant area.

i was looking at a missile based, stealth based or magic based concept.

any suggestions out there?

thanks in advance...

Raflar

First Post
I love playing bards, especially in 3.5 with no arcane spell failure in light armour!!!! :)

I would stick with missile weapons (bow) if you need to pick up the slack there, that way you can still sing your bard songs and pick off your enemies.. and if things turn real ugly you can run away!...

Afterall someone has to live to tell the tale :)

my archer build was:

point blank shot, rapid shot, weapon focus & lingering song (7th level)

my spellcasting build was:

spellcasting prodigy, scribe scroll, silent spell, lingering song (7th level)

Estlor

Explorer
Archery is definitely the route to go with a bard. A human bard at 1st level can pick up both Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, letting them stand back and fire into melee, supporting the front-line fighters without having to risk serious harm.

Where you go from there really depends on the niche the bard will fill best. Your high Dexterity really helps ranged combat and boosts your AC. A light armor with a low armor check penalty and a buckler is a good start. Once you can swing the money from a masterwork buckler, you can use it without penalty to your skills.

Playing an arcane support character requires you to work with the wizard or sorcerer closely on spell selection. Since you have mostly Enchantment and Illusion spells on your spell list, Spell Focus (Enchantment) might be a good consideration, as just about every mind-affecting spell is going to have a saving throw. If you'll be casting a lot of healing spells, however, I'd not take that as saving throws against your spells won't come up that often. I wouldn't waste my time with metamagic feats - the full-round hit spontaneously casting a meta spell brings isn't really worth the benefits of making spellcasting silent. Lingering song is a consideration, as a bard that can't attack or cast a spell for a round should spend it using his music to enhance his allies.

Given the naturally high Charisma of the class, I'd seriously reccommend Leadership. You'll have a strong cohort that can fill another gap in the party (or strengthen something not 100% solid). Also, you can raise a group of combatants nearly the size of a standing army in a pinch.

If there is a rogue in the party you shouldn't need to worry too much about Climb, Move Silently, Disable Device, and so on. Concentration, Spellcraft, and Perform are must haves at just about every level. For the other skills I'd seriously consider Use Magic Device, Diplomacy, and Tumble. The first two skills take advantage of your high Charisma and will eventually give you access to any magic item in the game - especially nice spell scrolls that have combat-oriented spells on them. Tumble gives you a better chance to move around in combat without drawing attacks of opportunity. If the campaign is more combat oriented, Diplomacy might not be a good choice - consider swapping it out for one of the stealth skills or Spot to keep you from being surprised easily.

Okay, bottom line. Since you seem dead-set on lingering song, I'd say (assuming it can be done by 7th level, as I don't have my PHB and DMG in front of me):

Feats - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Leadership, Lingering Song
Skills - Concentration, Perform, Spellcraft, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Diplomacy/Spot

Work towards a mighty (Str 14) longbow, masterwork buckler, and something like masterwork leather armor.

If you have to wait until later for Leadership, consider Spell Focus (Enchantment) or a feat that builds on the Shot on the Run chain. Mobility is the key. Try to act first and avoid confrontation.

regardless of the actual build, the character's main weapon will be a composite long bow.

i had considered silent spell in the event that i needed to be invisible and still support the party. also, if i was moving ahead of the party as a scout. i have used this tactic with some other casters and found it highly effective. given bardic abilities & support spells, he could work (hopefully) unseen in the middle of a combat.

on the other hand, i could work for the hidden magic as bardic music feat and subsonics.

lingering song is not a must-have, just something that would allow a nice bump well ahead of combat.

thanks for the advice... i feel a good build coming up.

Remove ads