Build Help: 3 Hexblade / 6 Paladin / 11 Swashbuckler

Sandy Boyer

First Post
I'm going to join a 5e game -- and I could use your help. I played 5e years ago (as a pure warlock).

I'd like to have an easy to play experience, with a half-drow Gish. My initial idea is: Hexblade 3 (pact of blade), paladin 6 (Vengeance), 11 swashbuckler.

Sword and board. I really like Elven accuracy.

The game is 2nd level, about to hit 3rd.

Which should I select first?

Thank you, wise sages of the web.

Volund

Explorer
Before I give you my suggestions, I want to say that I'm not sure whether this type of character falls into the category of "easy to play". You will have spells from 3 different sources - paladin, warlock, and drow magic - all of which recharge differently. From a RP perspective, you have an oath-bound paladin who is also beholden to a warlock patron. Depending on your DM this could be a problem for your character. Its reliance on bonus actions is also a headache, speaking from experience. On paper it looks like you will be able to stack Vow of Enmity, Hexblade Curse, and Hex and then do massive smite or sneak attack damage from the frequent 19/20 crits generated by Elven Accuracy, but in actual play not so much. Your allies aren't going to let the BBEG alone for the three rounds it takes to set this up (or longer if you had to use Misty Step or Cunning Action) and by the time you have all your buffs up the target is almost dead anyway. Having said that, if you know what you are getting into this is a fun character who is useful in both social and combat encounters.

You didn't give rolled stats so I'll assume you're using point buy or standard array. I would start with something like 14/12/13/8/10/15, and after racial bonuses 15/12/14/8/10/17. This gives your the Str to wear heavy armor and the odd Cha score you want for Elven Accuracy's +1 to Cha. Switch Dex and Wis if you prefer. For sword and board, start with 2 levels of paladin to get heavy armor proficiency, dueling FS, smites, and spellcasting. Then a level of hexblade for all of the first level goodies, especially being able to attack with Cha. Taking even one level of warlock at this point means that you have delayed extra attack, 2nd level paladin spells, and aura of protection for a level, and that just sucks any way you look at it. It might be more optimal to go straight to Paladin 6, but IME most campaigns fizzle out somewhere in Tier 2, so if you wait until after Pal 6 you may not get much play time with your Hexadin. After Pal 6 and picking up Aura of Protection, you are gold. By that point you've played your character long enough that you will know what to do next. I would probably add another level of warlock for the invocations and a second pact magic slot (short rest pact slots to burn on Shield or smites is one of the best features of this build). I wouldn't bother with warlock 3. This build doesn't need the blade pact invocations since you will already have smites, extra attack (and probably a magic weapon) by that point. After level 7 or 8, depending on whether you took another level of warlock, a lot of people would take a look at bard or sorcerer for future levels.

Remove ads