Building a Chainlock/Beastmaster. Need input.

I plan on making a Chainlock/Beastmaster. The idea is to use the familiar as an invisible dispensary of Goodberries and healing spells, while the companion and/or I attack on my turn or I drop a support spell. I know that this is a bit of a late-bloomer build, so I'm primarily using DM Rewards accrued this season to get it online sooner.

This is what I have so far:

Story Origin: Elemental Evil (PHB+EEPC, so no SCAG cantrips)
Fey Chain Warlock 3/Beastmaster Ranger 17 (not sure about 1st level class)
Race: Half-Elf (Drow)
Stats: Str 8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 14 Cha 16
ASI/Feat: Inspiring Leader (4th), +6 Dex (8th/12th/16th)
Familiar: Sprite
Companion: Giant Poisonous Snake
Fighting Style: Archery
Invocations: Devil's Sight + 1 Undecided
Warlock Cantrips: Blade Ward, Prestidigitation
Warlock Spells: Faerie Fire, Sleep, Misty Step, Mirror Image
Ranger Spells: Goodberry, Cure Wounds, Absorb Elements, Lesser Restoration + Various Undecided

If I ever get up to CL 18, then things really start to get interesting. Spells like Misty Step, Mirror Image, and Absorb Elements begin to affect my companion as well. I know it's not the most optimal build, but it's a fun concept to play. Your single character becomes a squad unto itself.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Beastmaster is going to struggle with a pet being behind in levels. Their already squishy, and yours will be even more so. 1 fireball and your lost a large chunk of your power.

Instead, i suggest going for druid and relying on conjure spells to get your army. Possibly bard to make use of Cha.

Also, inspiring leader feat can help.

Duly noted, however conjure spells would eat up my concentration slot, which is currently dedicated to Faerie Fire. Plus, this is for an AL character. Managing three turns is enough of a time-sink as it is. I'd rather not bog down combat any further by bringing in the conjure spells.

Also, having the Sprite being able to feed the companion Goodberries while invisible helps make up for the 12 HP lost by taking Warlock levels. The only other things that it would behind on are the level-specific abilities. The biggest bonus to the companion, adding my proficiency bonus to it, wouldn't be affected at all because of proficiency bonus being tied to character level and not class level.

I'm probably going to go with the Archery Fighting Style and a Wolf as my companion. If an enemy gets too close, I can take one hand off my longbow and draw my rapier to attack with the wolf. Otherwise, the wolf stays behind me to gain half-cover, only running out to attack those that are near death and are less than 30' away.

For race, I've narrowed it down to 2 possible starting arrays

VHuman (Inspiring Leader)
Str 8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 14 Cha 14

Half-Elf (Drow Magic)
Str 8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 14 Cha 16

Going Half-Drow gives me an extra free casting of FF and an emergency Darkness that works with my Devil's Sight.

famousringo

First Post
I'm of the general opinion that Beastmaster is the tank/area control option for ranger, better suited to melee than ranged, but if you want to be an archer, I'd suggest a Giant Poisonous Snake. It has reach, so it can strike many enemies without getting engaged, has great AC, accuracy, and damage, and it has blindsight so it can fight in your Darkness.

If you want to go with a drow theme, Giant Wolf Spider offers all that but a little weaker and no reach.

Giant Poisonous Snake sounds like it'll work perfectly with the archery build. I think that going with Half-Drow is the way to go. I'll update the first post to reflect it.

Which class should be the 1st level class, Ranger or Warlock? Essentially, it comes down to which is more important: Wis/Cha saves or 1HP and Str/Dex saves.

Also, what would be a good choice for my second invocation?

famousringo

First Post
Voice of the Chain Master offers some powerful exploration and utility abilities. Scout huge areas, leave your familiar as a rear guard at the entrance to a dungeon, give it to an NPC to use as a walkie-talkie.

Heck, I bet you can convince a DM to let you issue commands to your beast through the mouth of your familiar. Could be fun to send your minions on their own little missions as scouts or messengers.

LightningArrow

First Post
Voice of the Chain Master offers some powerful exploration and utility abilities. Scout huge areas, leave your familiar as a rear guard at the entrance to a dungeon, give it to an NPC to use as a walkie-talkie.

Heck, I bet you can convince a DM to let you issue commands to your beast through the mouth of your familiar. Could be fun to send your minions on their own little missions as scouts or messengers.

This would be you seizing the day:

tumblr_nk2wt6Pbx91ttyzo4o1_500.jpg

This has all sorts of RP potential written all over it because of my familiar being a Sprite. Turn on the Sprite's invisibility while the snake is wrapped around my arm, I'm a ventriloquist...

This would be you seizing the day:

View attachment 76018

More like
king-cobra_o_1973205.jpg

Remove ads