• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building a character for kingmaker game.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Hmm. While these classes get a few bonus feats it wont be enough for TWF. I was thinking if 2 handing didnt work with it then sword and board would be my next choice. We homebrew kite shields (little above large sheild but not as big as tower so no penalty :p) I MIGHT even sacrifice a feat so I can exotic wep prof and get the bastard sword.

exile

First Post
My first fighter in Kingmaker was a sword and board character. She had great personality and was a lot of fun to play, but just couldn't keep up with our out-of-control-super-optimized monk and ranger in terms of weapon damage.

My second fighter was a two-handed (greataxe) fighter. She did much better in terms of damage output, and I never really missed her shield. She was always kind of a one trick pony, but (as one of my fellow players said) it was a good trick.

I think if you're looking for melee damage, it's hard to go wrong with a two-handed fighter. Power Attack and Furious Focus are must have feats. I also eventually picked up Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Specialization, and Vital Strike (among others of course).

PatCap

Explorer
Well...I personally am shooting to be the ruler..I like the mounted cavalier...(Order of the Sword (Lance), Gendarme) A leader of men, a good fighter and on open ground an absolute terror. Should be able to hold his own in a secondary role off horse (banners, etc..) but mounted, there will be no standing up to him..

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Well I have made some awesome NPC mounted chars before..but never a mounted PC. They always seem so limited and you would be seriously nerfed if ever caught off your horse :p.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
What stats are everyone using for kingmaker? I read rolling stats can make it to easy. We have been using 25 point buy. But with that I cant see anyone making a fighter that is truly good in combat AND charismatic enough to be the ruler.

enrious

Well I have made some awesome NPC mounted chars before..but never a mounted PC. They always seem so limited and you would be seriously nerfed if ever caught off your horse :p.

Not a cavalier. People have the impression that they're only good mounted but truth is, they're still very effective dismounted.

And in Kingmaker, it's rare for you to be forcibly dismounted by circumstance.

Fooly_Cooly

First Post
Well Ive made 4 characters now. Each of them a possible candidate.Depends on what the rest of the party will be. Human warlord(Will go warmaster from either 2nd or 4th lvl.Not sure yet)
Str14,Dex12,Con12,Int14,Wis11,Cha18
AC 19
Fort3,Ref1,Wil4
CMB3 CMD16
Power attack
Furious Focus
weapon focus (Earth Breaker)
Iron Will

Half Orc Fighter(Dragoon)1
Str18,Dex15,Con15,Int10,Wis14,Cha7
AC21
Fort4,Ref2,Will2
Ride by ATT
Mounted Combat
Skill Focus Ride
Trample and WF(Lance)

Human Cavalier(Gendarme)1
Str16,Dex15,Con15,Int13,Wis14,Cha8
AC20
Fort4,Ref2,Will2
Mounted Combat
Ride by ATT
WF(Lance)
Trample
Mounted archery
And a hellfire sorcerer I havent worked out yet. SO any advice for these guys?

Last edited:

PatCap

Explorer
I read an article about how a cavalier who goes order of the shield, with TWF feats is pretty awesome using sword and sheild bash. It limits his mounted stuff until later, but seems pretty tough. I personally want to play the mounted cav, OOsword/gendarme, and plan to try and take the king role. I have players who are probably going bard (diplomat) Wizard (magister/crafter) Ninja (assassain) Barbarian and 2 I am not sure of.

The TWF sheild bash appeals because you challenge adds affect both weapon and sheild for damage...

Remove ads