• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Building an Airship (for use at the game table)

weem

First Post
I love airships. Ever since getting Champions of Mystara way back and reading through the airship "designers manual", I've always wanted to incorporate them in games, and I have over the years - however, I never had one built out in any kind of detail - they were there, and they worked (for the most part) but the how/why and what their layout looked like never really mattered.

Well, looking through the box set again and looking at the layout of the Princess Ark, I thought... you know what? I'm going to lay one out - one that can sit on the game table (in my 4e campaign) and that the players can explore.

So this is the place where I will explore/share that process for those interested. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

======
Brad L, and Aaron C, please don't read this...
======

Step 1

The Cardboard

First, I cut out the good section of one side of a big (LCD) screen TV box. I measured it in inches so I knew how many squares I had to work with...

step01.jpg

Step 2

The Grid

Next, I drew out the grid (1 inch squares)

step02.jpg

Step 3

First Curve

The first curve I ran into was at the Bow (front) of the ship. What I did was laid down a piece of paper, drew my curve, and then cut it out with a box knife. That way, I could trace it for one side, flip it around and do it for the other so that both sides (curves) were the same.

Oh, and you will also notice the standard graph sheet here with the layout drawn on it - I counted the squares available once I was done making the grid and then drew the basic outline on the graph pad so I knew how it would all fit on the cardboard...

step03.jpg

step04.jpg

Step 4

The Basic (Pencil) Outline

Once I had the Bow and Aft curves/ends done, I darkened the pencil lines (with the same pencil) so I had my basic outline of the main portion of the ship...

step05.jpg

Step 5

Outer Hulls

Now I needed to add the outer hulls, or wings to the sides of the ship. This involved more curves, so with some more drawing/cutting/tracing, I hammered that out...

step06.jpg

step07.jpg

Step 6

Darken Border

At this point, I was happy with the outline of the entire thing, so I went over it with a black sharpie...

step08.jpg

Step 7

Begin Details

With the outline darkened with the sharpie, I now drew in some details (mainly the decks and stairs for now)...

step09.jpg

Step 8

Time For Sleep

And finally (for now) I was ready for bed, but before I stopped, I started a side-view (or cutaway) of the Bow of the ship, so my players would have a basic idea of how the decks stacked (see the portion on the bottom left side of the cardboard)...

step09.jpg

Next time...

...I'll explore a bit about the magic behind powering these, primarily regarding what I intend on using for this and how it will fit into the design. I may even get into laying out the next level or two of the ship...

Yikes. You've got a zeppelin there. Big enough for a small army.

I made a cardboard cut-out airship for a game this summer, but it was 6 squares wide by 10 long. I wanted my airship for a battle against an aerial dragon, so it needed to be big enough for some movement in and out of the dragon's reach, but small enough that the dragon could theoretically destroy it with breath weapon and claws and such.

My airship was powered by four bound air elementals, and you needed the proper permission from the ship's owner to command them. But certain magic could wrest control of the elementals, or you could try to convince them with diplomacy to help you. Or you could kill them. It made for a fun toy, and as I hoped, it didn't survive its maiden voyage.

So, when are you going to deploy this monstrosity of yours? Tell us about the game.

weem

First Post
*Red wings theme from FFIV plays in my head*
Nothing quite like combat on an airship. Looks good!

Thanks ;)

Yikes. You've got a zeppelin there. Big enough for a small army.

<snip>

So, when are you going to deploy this monstrosity of yours? Tell us about the game.

Yea, it's pretty big - the main portion being a bit longer than a large Galleon (50 feet longer or so). What I am imagining is a large Galleon, with the back half of two other galleons attached, one on each side and slightly lower than the main (middle) portion. These are wider than they should be, proportionally speaking I guess, and yea the ship is pretty big overall, but hey - it's a magical airship ;)

Again - Brad L and Aaron C, don't read :p

Why so big then... well, the campaign (which will start next month) will be centered around this ship (once the players get to Paragon or so). Basically, Heroic Tier will contain the usual stuff - getting to know the characters, various adventures, etc. But somewhere just before Paragon, or mabye a litte into it, the players will encounter this ship. Through the rest of the Paragon Tier or so (depending on circumstances) their adventures/travels/etc will be centered around this ship. I want it to the place they come back to (when they can). It will be full of NPC's, many of whom will change out from time to time. It's like a home town that is always on the move. Sometimes the PC's will adventure out and make it back in time to get back onboard- other times they will not, but they will catch up to it in the near future, etc.

I invision there being a lot to do there - not just aerial combat, but various skill challenges, and NPC interaction (we are using Aspects so those will come into play a lot). I want it to feel like home, but at the same time there will be danger and new faces, many plots and a lot of intrigue - secrets and mysteries, including some related to the ship itself, various crew members, and of course the people just passing through (why are they here, where are they going, etc).

This is all happening in a new setting I have been working on and airships are not common (there are only 5 at this point) and so the wealthy/powerful use this one in particular for various travels - as long as it suits the captain of course. I imagining that there will be (a lot) more traveling NPC's than crew as well.

Anyway, the point is that 1) this is to be a very rich hub of activity during "downtime" and 2) it will often be the trigger point for various adventures off the ship - it will also 3) provide a way for PC's to see a wide variety of locations/terrain etc which will give them a good look at this new setting, etc.

I hope that made sense for now - I'm typing this quickly here at work and just kind of spewing out the general idea ;)

--edit---

For a little more information about my idea for the campaign, see this thread

Belaugured DM

First Post
Good Idea!

Hi Weem I was wondering if you have read any of Terry Brooks most especially the "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" series. It centers on a quest that the heroes undertake that involves the use of an Airship. I am reading it now coincedentally. It's probably worth a look for sources of additional inspiration.

weem

First Post
I have not read any of his books (though I have heard of them of course), so, is this a trilogy I could pick up and read having read nothing else before? Based on what I am seeing it seems like that would be fine, but I'm not positive.

Thanks for the heads up, they sound cool!

+XP

weem

First Post
I said...

...so, is this a trilogy I could pick up and read having read nothing else before? Based on what I am seeing it seems like that would be fine, but I'm not positive.

..but nevermind - I picked them up today anyway ;)

Belaugured DM

First Post
Cool Beans!

You should be fine, yes it has some references to his other works but as a stand alone you'll be ok. I warn you now you may wind up becoming a huge fan though and reading all his stuff.

Another possible idea source though far less involved is the Aeronaut Lee Scorsbey (sp) from the Golden Compass. He is basically a mercenary who pilots an airship (balloon actually) who falls in to help Lyra the hero in the Dark materials trilogy. That too is an interesting read and is pretty light reading. He is a cool dude and not a bad source as NPC fodder maybe.

Anyhow consider this my little thank you for your very helpful and informative info on using photoshop for mapmaking. I am pretty hopless with it but am getting a lot better now in part to your help!

Remove ads