BURNED CIRCLE - City/Character Creation Thread (DFRPG)

Thanee

First Post
I wanted that aspect to mirror, what is pretty common in the novels as well, namely, that there is usually an extra layer of complexity present, even though it might not look like it at first.

Bye
Thanee

ThirdWizard

First Post
How about this?

When Keira was chasing ghosts, she ended up in a tangle involving a necromantic cult, an undead slaying police officer and a warden. Siding with the two against the cult, she discovered that they all have merely been pawns in a greater game of power and control. They ended up beating the cult and freeing the enslaved ghosts, thus forcing the mysterious manipulator behind the scheme into the background. For now.

Aspect: It's Rarely As It Seems At First Glance

I can get behind that. Having a cult leader on the loose and biding his time to take revenge against you guys is definitely something I can use in the future. ;)

The aspect is interesting considering Keira is a shape shifter, and in fact isn't what she seems at first glance herself, along with the idea that I can use it as a compel to make things more complicated in her life whenever I feel like it. I think I would be a bit remiss if I didn't at least offer the more concise aspect of "More Than Meets The Eye," considering my avatar, however.

Bluedevil

First Post
I can get behind that. Having a cult leader on the loose and biding his time to take revenge against you guys is definitely something I can use in the future. ;)

The aspect is interesting considering Keira is a shape shifter, and in fact isn't what she seems at first glance herself, along with the idea that I can use it as a compel to make things more complicated in her life whenever I feel like it. I think I would be a bit remiss if I didn't at least offer the more concise aspect of "More Than Meets The Eye," considering my avatar, however.

That would be a very funny aspect.

Thanee

First Post
The aspect is interesting considering Keira is a shape shifter, and in fact isn't what she seems at first glance herself, ...

Nice one. I actually didn't look at it from this angle. :)

As for the aspect, I like "More Than Meets The Eye", as it is more condensed, even though it's a bit different.

Speaking of aspects, I'm still struggling a bit to come up with a decent Phase 3 aspect. :)

But other than that, I should be pretty much finished (complete sheet is posted above).

Bye
Thanee

ThirdWizard

First Post
[MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION]
I've been having trouble coming up with suggestions for your Phase 3 as well! I'm thinking something like "Cat and Mouse" might be appropriate. Maybe you could use it when something is after you, or to hide more effectively in circumstances where someone knows you're there? You could flip it to where you're the cat and trying to catch someone else. I could probably find a way to compel it, but nothing concrete comes to mind.
[MENTION=54988]Dragonwriter[/MENTION]
This is a hard one too. You could pick an aspect that helps you fight off faerie magic, which would be useful. I'm having trouble finding a phrase for it, though. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way... what about something like "Michelle Said No." Michelle wasn't directly involved in the story, but her teaching you to resist the temptations of faerie could very well extend to their magical influence as well. Just throwing ideas up in the air.
[MENTION=6694788]Bluedevil[/MENTION]
Still don't have Soulgaze listed. ;)
Which brings to mind, you might want to determine who you've soulgazed (if anyone) before the events of the game take place.

Also, with a Lore of Superb, you can have 5 rote spells! Might want to start thinking about that. I'll let you add those as the game is going, though, if you're having trouble narrowing down what you want. The only caveat is that you can't use a rote spell in a current scene when you first create it. ;)

Bluedevil

First Post
@Bluedevil
Still don't have Soulgaze listed. ;)

D'oh! fixed.

Which brings to mind, you might want to determine who you've soulgazed (if anyone) before the events of the game take place.

Anyone want to have gazed into the soul of Malcom?

Also, with a Lore of Superb, you can have 5 rote spells! Might want to start thinking about that. I'll let you add those as the game is going, though, if you're having trouble narrowing down what you want. The only caveat is that you can't use a rote spell in a current scene when you first create it. ;)

I might just take you up on that, I am going to think for a few minutes. probably need a couple of combat spells but most of them should be utility.

Thanee

First Post
I've been having trouble coming up with suggestions for your Phase 3 as well! I'm thinking something like "Cat and Mouse" might be appropriate. Maybe you could use it when something is after you, or to hide more effectively in circumstances where someone knows you're there? You could flip it to where you're the cat and trying to catch someone else. I could probably find a way to compel it, but nothing concrete comes to mind.

So, it's not just me. :)

Well, I will think about it some more.

Bye
Thanee

Dragonwriter

First Post
I wrote up more detailed versions of my Phase 4 and Phase 5, plus Aspects. Here they are. :) Naturally, they can still change if better ideas strike.

Phase 4: Whose Path Have You Crossed? Malcom Crestwood
A group of Black Court vampires set themselves up in a local apartment complex, slowly killing all of its patrons before a warden challenges them in close quarter combat. Black Court are strong and fast, so this warden needs to be smart about his approach.

He starts trapping pixies and practically bullying them into dangerous scouting work. The Little Folk complain of this to their friend, the half-ogre Logan Harcourt. While the info from them is sketchy, Logan sets out to find the man forcing his diminutive buddies into such situations. It isn’t hard, but Logan quickly learns it was done for a good reason. The ogre-kin makes a deal with Malcom to get the pixies to do a better job in exchange for better payment. He even agrees to help Malcom with the final assault, in exchange for a favor at a later date.
Aspect: Deals and Favors Like a Fae

Phase 5: Who Else’s Path Have You Crossed? Keira Moore
Returning from the Nevernever after doing a favor for a centaur “cousin,” Logan runs into a strange patch of mind-muddling fog and a couple of people who got lost in it, including the young woman who helped him out against some Red Court scum. To clear what he sees as a debt (and mess with some Winter creeps), he helps Keira and Juno get out of the fog. The creature behind it doesn’t take kindly to this interference, and Logan has no issue with helping put the foul Fae down with his trusty sledgehammer, despite its usage of more mind-fogging tricks and illusions.
Aspect: I Know Faerie Trickery When I Find It

Shayuri

First Post
Just to show I haven't been a COMPLETE slacker in this game. :)

A sheet! Almost done, even! Just need some help working out a good Aspect for my stage 3.

[sblock=Juno Reyes]
Name: Juno Reyes
Template: Emissary of Power
High Concept: Undead Slaying Police Officer
Trouble: The Ungrateful Dead

Stage 1:
Raised by ex-military father in the LA barrio. Strained relationship due to father's disability, alcohol and control issues. Joined local small gang, but still had to take care of father sometimes.
-Aspect: Tough Hide, Tender Heart

Stage 2:
Torn between gang and family, Juno found a mentor in her crazy uncle and finally turned away from gang lifestyle. Her uncle took her to an old place of power to awaken her to her destiny in an ancient ritual. Juno and her father move away from LA then, and Juno gets her current job as a cop.
- Aspect: Call of Duty

Stage 3:
Altar Ego
When Juno discovers ritual necromancy implements on a routine bust, she burns the midnight oil to find the culprit. And when a ghost-enslaving cult finds out, it goes on the warpath. But can Juno survive when the spirit shackles are broken, and the pale horde's hunger is unleashed?
- Aspect: ?

Stage 4:
Winter Trails (Keira's story)
Juno tracks a were-panther into the Nevernever and the two are stalked there by crazed fetches. Juno must pierce the deceptions of the fey to find her way back to the mortal world.
- Aspect: Curse of Clarity

Stage 5:
Blackest Knight (Malcolm's Story)
Juno joins forces with a wizard enforcer and a half-fey ogre against a coven of black court vampires; she holds them at bay alongside the ogre to give the wizard time to work his spells, then helps finish them off.
- Aspect: Talk to the Fist

Skills:
Superb - Conviction, Fists
Great - Athletics, Alertness
Good - Endurance, Investigation
Fair - Lore, Intimidation, Guns
Average - Resources, Scholarship, Empathy, Discipline, Drive

Stunts and Powers
World Walker -2
Righteousness -2
Inhuman Recovery -2
Holy Touch -1
Ghost Speaker -1
Marked by Power -1[/sblock]

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
[MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=54988]Dragonwriter[/MENTION] [MENTION=6694788]Bluedevil[/MENTION]

We're really close to having everyone's character sheets done, so lets keep the energy up if we can!

If you would like, I can start up the game and we can fill in Aspects as we go and you get to know the PCs better. I have no problem with Aspects being kind of amorphous at the start here. I can post a Rogue's Gallery for character references and you can make edits to the character sheets as we go.

Remove ads