• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BURNED CIRCLE - City/Character Creation Thread (DFRPG)

Shayuri

First Post
Altar Egos

When Juno discovers ritual necromancy implements on a routine bust, she burns the midnight oil to find the culprit. And when a ghost-enslaving cult finds out, it goes on the warpath. But can Juno survive when the spirit shackles are broken, and the pale horde's hunger is unleashed?

ThirdWizard

First Post
And, we have a new addition! [MENTION=6694788]Bluedevil[/MENTION] will be joining us. I've talked to him in PMs and I'll reconstruct the Phases 4 and 5 as such to include him:

Phase Four: Whose Path Have You Crossed
A guest star will appear in your adventure, as follows:
  • Thanee will guest star in Dragonwriter's adventure.
  • Dragonwriter will guest star in BlueDevil's adventure.
  • BlueDevil will guest star in Shayuri's adventure.
  • Shayuri will guest star in Thanee's adventure.

Phase Five: Who Else's Path Have You Crossed
A second guest star will appear in each adventure, completing the adventure. It will be as follows:
  • Thanee will guest star in BlueDragon's adventure.
  • Dragonwriter will guest star in Shayuri's adventure.
  • BlueDevil will guest star in Thanee's.
  • Shayuri will guest star in Dragonwriter's adventure.

I guess the next books I will likely read during my vacation (book 3 and 4) will give me a better understanding of the faeries in the Dresdenverse and the Nevernever.

If you weren't afraid of faeries before, you will be after reading Summer Knight.

Bluedevil

First Post
Hey everyone,

So I have been bouncing a few ideas around with Thirdwizard about what to play, and I think I have settled on playing a warden of the white council, but a bit of an usual warden.

My plan was to have a warden who is only a warden because his father is a well known and respected warden who pulled some strings and got his son enlisted despite his 'limitations.'

Malcom Crestwood is a smart and resourceful young man, but he tends to play a bit loose with the rules which has gotten him landed with this distant assignment, far from the other wardens to get out of their hair.

[sblock=pic]

aidanturner.jpg

[/sblock]

Sheet so far, Still debating a few things:
[sblock]

High Concept: Battle Hardened Warden
Trouble: Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way
Refresh: Wizard (Evocation [-3], Thaumaturgy [-3], The Sight [-1], Wizard's Constitution [0], Refinement-1 [ Focus item slots]), No Pain No Gain [-1]

Phase One:

Malcom was born to a well to do magical family in London with a long history of defending the White Council all the way back to the days of the original Merlin. His family was well respected by the members of the council, often leading to his mother and father getting the prime positions or posts the warden’s have to offer but also being offered up some of the more dangerous assignments.

Malcom’s mother died when he was still young, victim of an assignment to destroy several troublesome black court members. Malcom’s father was forced to care for him alone, a task which proved to be a constant struggle as duty often got in the way of family and he was called away constantly to do the bidding of the White Council.

Malcom’s relationship with his father was barely cordial while his father was around. His father demanded the excellence of the Crestwood name and put Malcom through a rush of manic moments of training and depressive moments of abandonment.

Aspect: A History of Violence

Phase Two:

Malcom was all set to head to Edinburgh, when he decided to take a different path. He ran away from his father, his responsibility, and his future and instead headed off to find his own adventure all across Europe. He traveled extensively, staying away from the White Council and the responsibility that he felt was crushing him.

Aspects: Missing in Action

Phase Three: Blackest Knight

A group of Black Court vampires set themselves up in a local apartment complex, slowly killing all of its patrons before a warden challenges them in close quarter combat. Black Court are strong and fast, so this warden needs to be smart about his approach.

Aspect: Deserve has nothing to do with it

Superb: Lore
Great: Conviction, Discipline
Good: Endurance, Investigation, weaponry
Fair: Presence, deceit, Guns, Resources
Average: Stealth, fists, empathy, Atheltics, Alertness

Evocation
Elements: Fire/Spirt(+1 Power)/Water
Focus Items: Shield Bracelet (+1 Spirit/Force Defensive Power), Blasting Rod (Spirit +1 Power)
Enchanted Items(4): Warden's Sword (YS p.303), Armored Coat (armor 2) (YS p303)

Thaumaturgy
Specializations: Divinations (+1 Complexity)
Focus Items: Divination crystals (Diviation +1 Complexity, Diviation +1 Control)

Physical: [ ][ ][ ][ ]
Social: [ ][ ][ ]
Mental: [ ][ ][ ][ ]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Here's mine so far...I am still juggling skills...

[sblock=Juno Reyes]
Template: Emissary of Power
High Concept Aspect: Undead Slaying Police Officer
Trouble Aspect: The Ungrateful Dead
Refresh: 1; Worldwalker -2, Inhuman Recovery -2, Righteousness -2, Holy Touch -1, Ghost Speaker -1, Marked by Power -1

Phase 1 Aspect: Tough Hide, Tender Heart
Juno's father was in the US military, a veteran of the first Gulf War. Injured in action, he remained in the service for several years before complications of the injury, and his reaction to the death of his wife, caused an honorable discharge. He and Juno moved to Atlanta and he was able to find work. However, the cost of medicine took its toll, as did his grief and feelings of inadequacy. By the time Juno was in her teens, she was as good as taking care of him as he drowned his sorrows in alcohol and other diversions. She wound up joining one of the neighborhood gangs as a social outlet and in hopes of getting much-needed money to help support the household.

Phase 2 Aspect: Call of Duty
Juno's uncle, her father's estranged brother, came to town when she was seventeen and tried to make contact. Though her father rejected these approaches, he found ways to see Juno and encourage her to quit the lifestyle she was in the process of being swept down. After a memorable confrontation and all-out blowout, her father agreed to let him take Juno in while he sought help for his many crippling problems. Her uncle then forced Juno to choose between a life of crime in the gangs, or a life with family support. She choose family, and quit the gang. Her uncle then took her on a vacation to Mexico and Central America, and led her into the jungle to an old mesoamerican pyramid. There he performed the rite that awakened the dormant bloodline within Juno, and explained the power, and the promise that went with it.

Superb:
Great:
Good:
Fair:
Average:
[/sblock]

Bluedevil

First Post
So there, sheet should be updated with my first three phases and my 'first adventure' in the city :)

Feedback is appreciated :)

[MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION] I think for your adventure perhaps I helped give you some advice on dealing with the Winter fay on the other side of the gate. I could also have helped by sealing the gate with a spell in your epic get away?

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], for yours I am unsure. I am guessing that Juno should take down the Necromancer herself, perhaps you came to me for help and I disabled their magic somehow? made you a pendant so that you could resist their necromantic energies?

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
Welcome to the game and to EN World, Bluedevil! :)

Now on to the story bit... It seems like your character needs some intelligence on what exactly he's up against in the Black Court nest so he can plan a good strike. Maybe you start binding some pixies to scout it out, which gets Logan's attention when they complain about this matter. He comes to get you to back off, realizes why you're doing it, and then works as a deal-broker between you and the Little Folk. You get the intel you needed, ordered a few extra pizzas, and Logan is satisfied that his "cousins" aren't coming to harm.

Maybe even Logan agrees to help you in the assault, in exchange for a favor at a later date. ;)

Shayuri

First Post
For her first story, Juno wouldn't be too knowledgeable about the supernatural 'organizations' in the world. But I have some thoughts.

As a Warden, one thing your character is sworn to do...his raison d'etre in fact...is seek out and end those who use/abuse the dark arts. Clearly this would qualify. Perhaps your character was on their trail...but was stymied at first by the cult's small size, adeptness at concealing their magical traces, and your own lack of mundane contacts in the area who might help you overcome that adeptness.

Then you and Juno could bump into each other during their respective investigations. After a suitable period of mutual suspicion, they agree to cooperate, as each fills gaps in the other's repertoire.

Or, failing that, perhaps your Warden becomes aware of Juno and her investigation and offers some help with a specific thing she's doing in exchange for her letting you know when she uncovers the cult itself so you can do your duty (there's a small clash there since your duty is to kill them, and hers is to capture and detain...so cooperation isn't a sure thing). That way your involvement is less as a 'partner' and more as a 'guest star.' Not sure what's more appropriate, but perhaps we can work from that foundation....

Bluedevil

First Post
@Dragonwriter sounds good, actually really like the idea of a favor. I think that works well.

@Shayuri well we could have it that I try to go after the sorcerer directly but he whips my ass, but its enough of a distraction that you are able to take him out. the Old Dragon age "Don't worry, I got the arch demon...I got taken out."

Last edited:

Remove ads