• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

But what if I LIKE Anime/Video-game tropes in my D&D?

Scribble

First Post
Mallus said:
All this stuff occupies one big, messy (incestuous, even), brain-space for me, therefore I welcome anime and video game influence in D&D.

Not that convinced we're actually going to see much of that in 4e...

I'm not either, but I suspect (based on say Bo9S) that the new system might make modeling those effects/ideas easier. Which I see as a good thing as well.

[off topic]What part of Jersey? (I'm from south jersey originally.)[/off topic]

WayneLigon

Adventurer
RyukenAngel said:
That's how I see a lot of my spells too. BTW, what is the name of that anime? (must watch now!)

The top pic is from Witch Hunter Robin and the bottom one is, I think, from Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
WayneLigon said:
The top pic is from Witch Hunter Robin and the bottom one is, I think, from Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles.
Ahh. I've been meaning to watch both of those. Thanks! (The bottom one certianly looks like Tsubasa)

Rallek

First Post
Mourn -

It is quite true, many of my group are warhammer players and a great many of our minis that saw use were drafted from warhammer armies. Encounter appropriate minis have to located in their case, be pulled from case, placed on battle mat, moved every turn, eventually cleared and returned to case. Did it take 10 minutes every encounter to fetch minis and set up? Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet it took close to five (and felt like 15), and that was five to many for us. We came to play D&D, not to play warhammer. If we wanted to do the minis thing... well, we'd play warhammer.

YMMV, of course.

kennew142

First Post
Rechan said:
No one, eh?

Come on over to No Necromancers, Illusionists and Enchanters?. Or here for that matter:

Or...

Or should I pull up the original thread when the Wizard article came out and start quoting people?

Allow me to take a quote from here

I've seen others make similar statements.

When people misrepresent preview materials to make hyperbolic statements about the upcoming edition, that puts them in the camp of 4e haters. So my argument stands. The designers have never said that wizards were limited to evocation. That is a consistent piece of misrepresentation that appears over and over again on this forum, as well as the WotC forums. Limiting the most powerful of the other effects to different classes does not mean that wizards are nothing more than evokers. The fact that non-evocation spells have been mentioned by the designers as powers available to wizards flies in the face of any such assertions making them (de facto) incorrect.

When posters repeat inaccurate information ad nauseam, especially once it has been contradicted by posts by the designers, there must be some reason for it. I won't attempt to describe their motivations, even if I think they are obvious.

I'm aware of this. But it is still an objection raised by people who think the game is Video-gamey.

If it's not the per-encounter abilities, if it's not the Paladin's Smite giving that guy more AC or that guy some healing or preventing that monster from getting Line of Sight on its abilities, if it's not the Fighter's ability to still do str damage even if he misses an attack, what is being complained about that's video-gamey?

Hm.

Regardless of them having looked at the previews, I've still seen the statements. Countless times. When the dragon fight came out. When we found out Dragons wouldn't be casting spells. After the Monster podcast.

Would you like me to mosey on over to the WotC forums and pluck some quotes?

I've seen many of the posts you're referring to. What I would like to know is what video-games contain the abilities these posters have a problem with? How are per-encounter abilties video-gamesque? What video game uses them? Video games, especially the much maligned WoW, seem to use a per-minute (or other time based) refresh rate.

How does a dragon using salient abilities instead of casting spells make the game more video-gamey? Is it like a video game when demons and devils use spell-like abilities? or is this just a rule that applies to dragons?

It seems to me that those who don't like the ideas in 4e use the terms anime and video game as attempt to disparage the new system without bothering to address the actual issues. These are charged terms in some circles that serve to stifle honest debate instead of adding to it.

The Little Raven

First Post
Rallek said:
Did it take 10 minutes every encounter to fetch minis and set up? Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet it took close to five (and felt like 15), and that was five to many for us.

Sounds like you guys are slow at setup. That's unfortunate.

If we wanted to do the minis thing... well, we'd play warhammer.

Miniatures in D&D predate the existence of Warhammer. The first Monster Manual lists speed in inches as the primary measurement, for use with miniatures. Suggesting that miniatures have no place in D&D when D&D evolved out of a miniature wargame is silly.

Rallek

First Post
Mourn -

Perhaps we are slow at setup, or perhaps looking through several cases worth of the relevant warhammer army for the "correct" minis takes awhile. Likewise returning the individual minis to their specific place in the correct case takes time. Perhaps you fail to realize just how large a serious warhammer minis collection can get. Either way, it simply took more time than we felt that it was worth. I'm not sure how "unfortunate" it is, but I will accept your view on it, and feel duly unfortunate for my (and my group's) slowness in setup.

(I am using this moment to feel duly unfortunate for the slowness of myself and my group at setting up our minis)

Now that I am done with truly feeling the depth of my unfortunate-ness, I'll move on to your next statement. I wasn't suggesting that there is no place in D&D for minis, nor was I denying that D&D grew out of a wargame. What I was outright saying without the need to imply anything, was that there is no place in our game for minis. You can argue that if you want to, but you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage as I don't ever recall seeing you at our table.

When I say that if we wanted to do the minis thing we'd play warhammer, I mean exactly that. When my group wants to play a tactical game with minis, we favor warhammer over D&D. When we want to play a table top RPG we favor D&D over warhammer. When we want to get together for a card game we favor poker over both D&D and warhammer. That's just us, YMMV as always.

The Little Raven

First Post
Rallek said:
Perhaps we are slow at setup, or perhaps looking through several cases worth of the relevant warhammer army for the "correct" minis takes awhile. Likewise returning the individual minis to their specific place in the correct case takes time. Perhaps you fail to realize just how large a serious warhammer minis collection can get. Either way, it simply took more time than we felt that it was worth. I'm not sure how "unfortunate" it is, but I will accept your view on it, and feel duly unfortunate for my (and my group's) slowness in setup.

I have a large collection of D&D miniatures, which I've collected since early 2nd edition. I have several cases full of them. However, when I go to games, I only take the miniatures I'm going to use. This reduces digging through cases looking for the right things.

Scribble

First Post
Mourn said:
I have a large collection of D&D miniatures, which I've collected since early 2nd edition. I have several cases full of them. However, when I go to games, I only take the miniatures I'm going to use. This reduces digging through cases looking for the right things.

Hrmm, I don't know if you can really argue this man.. :p

I mean the guy's opinion is that his game was slower with minis. Opinions are opinions.

I'd agree minis slow things down.

In 2e we rarely used minis (other then for collecting and painting) because the benefits didn't really outweigh the cost of setting them up.

In 3e we do, because there are so many things that depend on location, and movement and such that the benefit very much outweighs the cost.

But that isn't always true for everyone.

Remove ads