• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

But what if I LIKE Anime/Video-game tropes in my D&D?

The Little Raven

First Post
mmu1 said:
Seriously, dude, what the hell does Tolkien have to do with me saying FF VII sucks? Since when does saying I don't like Anime and JRPGs imply that I have to like Tolkien, or that if I did, I'd hold it up as a model for fantasy fiction of all kinds?

It's in context for this topic.

You seem to think that anime/manga/JPRGs should not be an influence on D&D because of "poor writing." I'm pointing out that one of the biggest influences, Tolkein, can be equated as a poor writer as well, because of problems with narrative and such, and as such is an equally "bad influence." We could also discuss things like space hamsters, the flumph, and all kinds of D&D-specific silliness that make Cactuars look practically noir. However, the most basic point is this: people have different tastes. Insult mine if it makes you feel better.

Rechan said:
I noticed you didn't answer his question as to the significant depth in REH's stories.

And I'm also still waiting for someone to bring up the deeper meaning in REH's Conan stories, which was my original entry in this discussion (because someone was claiming FF7 as shallow, while denying the incredibly shallow nature of Conan's stories).

mmu1

First Post
Rechan said:
I noticed you didn't answer his question as to the significant depth in REH's stories.

1. He wasn't asking me, as far as I can tell.

2. Only one of my favorite fantasy authors was brought up in this thread so far, and REH isn't him, so I feel neither especially qualified to speak on the subject, nor too interested in the outcome of that particular argument.

3. It has nothing to do with why I think the story in FFVII is awful.

Arkhandus

First Post
Wow. I just have to say that I'm shocked at how much more like Remathillis I am in age/background/opinion than I had previously thought. :eek: :uhoh:

Bishmon

First Post
Personally, I'm not really seeing an increase in anime elements. I think 4E will still be the game people make it. Sure, its mechanics be a bit livelier, but whereas an anime fan sees that as reminiscient of a lively anime battle, a Lord of the Ring fan sees that as reminiscient of a lively Lord of the Rings battle, and a Three Musketeers fan sees that as reminiscient of a lively Three Musketeers battle.

Like I said, it'll be the game people make it.

Child of the '70s/80s here.

Anime makes me blow chunks. Sorry, that's just the way I feel.

I do think D&D could be improved with some videogame tropes. Video game designers have spent lots of time & money figuring out how to make games fun, enjoyable, and repeatable. Obviously not everything ports because they are two different media, but D&D could stand to learn a few things. Flattening power curves, giving consistent yet meaningful rewards, keeping the emphasis on ease of play and action -- those are all good things to learn from video games.

Arkhandus

First Post
.....Well, except for my dislike of a few important parts of 4th Edition, I guess. I do like some of its changes, though. Just not enough to convert (besides, I'm an endless tinkerer, I'll mold 3E to fit whatever I want it to anyway).

mmu1

First Post
Mourn said:
You seem to think that anime/manga/JPRGs should not be an influence on D&D because of "poor writing." I'm pointing out that one of the biggest influences, Tolkein, can be equated as a poor writer as well, because of problems with narrative and such, and as such is an equally "bad influence." We could also discuss likes like space hamsters, the flumph, and all kinds of D&D-specific silliness that make Cactuars look practically noir.

No - I think that Anime and JPRGs should not be an influence on D&D because I don't like them. It's a very subjective point of view, but I think I was pretty open about that in my initial post.

The fact that FFVII and most other JRPGs feature terrible writing and make for a really poor standard for judging other fiction by is another issue altogether.

Spinachcat

First Post
If you want anime fantasy, play Exalted. Exalted 1e a great game and tremendous fun for anyone who enjoys over-the-top fantasy combat and magic. Awesome setting too.

4e is obviously WoW inspired and the designers would be stupid to ignore a game that has 9 million players worldwide. WoW must be doing lots of things right and hopefully 4e can learn from them.

Anime / Movies / Videogames is where people get their fantasy today. Not books. Books readers are few and far between. If you are marketing a RPG to the mass audience, why would you not focus it on what people want?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads