• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buying magic items vs. finding magic items

I prefer magic items being found as items of treasure. A strong magic item economy and reliable production makes the items feel more like tech than magic.Its hard to make a magical sword feel like a valuable heirloom forged in a bygone age when someone in the party can crank one out in a few weeks and they are available for sale over on aisle 12.

There would certainly be a market for wondrous items of power. You could sell one for a whole lot of money but wouldn't be able to just buy one anywhere. It would be by and large a sellers market. This assumes that such items could not currently be replicated by anyone. This is how I treat permanent magic items. Expendable items such as potions and scrolls can be created and there is a more normal market for them.

Permanent powerful items just being "gear" that are easily replaceable with enough cash just doesn't feel like magic. At that point only artifacts & relics actually feel like real magic items. I prefer a broader selection of items to retain their magical feel.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But I don't have to answer a ton of questions in order to do it any more than I have to explain the physics of a dragon flying.

You kind of do. You see, the PCs are unlikely to interact directly with the physics of the dragon flying. If the do, it'll be by way of spells or abilities, the effects of which are already defined for them.

But, at least in the general sense, PCs are likely to interact with the society of the game world, and they'll want to try to buy and sell things, and you'll need to be able to answer why they can't.

If you don't answer the questions for your game, you can (and, given the pleasantly perverse nature of players, probably will) be caught unprepared for reasonable questions. You'll have defined that there's no market for magic items, without really worrying about the implications. Then you'll go and say that the duke is arming up for war, spending thousands and thousands of GP on armor, horses, and all. And the PCs will say, "Well, then maybe we can sell him some of our extra gear!" And you'll answer no, because "there is no market", even when you've just told them of the person with the means and motive to buy! Or, you'll answer "yes", and suddenly discover that you were wrong, and there is a market! And the players will ask why, with all the money that's clearly around, they couldn't buy and sell stuff before, and feel kind of cheated.

If you don't think ahead on basic important setting conceits, it is really easy to get caught out in inconsistencies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Except that assumes that there's anyone capable of creating the item in the first place, which is not a given.
X is a variable- we're talking in generalities. I'm only assuming any magic item you choose to include in a campaign world exists, since we are talking about selling magic items. So X is given assuming your world has magic items of any kind. The person who created X need not be alive.

Once X is created, there will be a market for it as long as it exists. That market may have information problems (buyer and seller finding each other, understanding the functions of X), or it may be dysfunctional (buyer and seller cannot agree on a price), but it exists.

If by "an economy" you mean "at least one person who'll pay for the item" then we're using the term differently (you may be technically correct, though).

I do, we are, and I am.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Actually, what I have said is that the presence of economy for expensive non-magical items implies sufficient cash for the magical ones as well. I'm saying, not just implying, that if nobody has the money for a +1 sword, then nobody has moneyf or full plate, either. I'm saying that the choice to impose the limit on magic item economy in that way has implications throughout the campaign world.

I'm saying that this is a minor problem, and one that is easily solved with the same set of plausible presumptions that can be used to eliminate the magic item economy altogether.

First, the idea of "nobody" having the money for expensive non-magical items is perhaps better expressed as "almost nobody." You will run into some characters who do have greater-than-average wealth, but it's easy to state that this is rare, perhaps fantastically so (e.g. the king in a kingdom of twenty thousand people).

Secondly, the "implications throughout the campaign world" are overstated in how serious you make that sound. Those "implications" are another part of world-building. That's without even getting into the idea that that doesn't have to be true literally everywhere; free trade doesn't have to be the norm if you don't want it to be, for whatever reasons you can come up with.

Finally, this isn't an issue because the there's another factor here, which I have REPEATEDLY (to use your method of emphasis) stated, that being that you can limit magic items to a much greater extent than expensive non-magic items by pointing out the much tighter restrictions on their prerequisites for creation.

Oh, now hold on there a minute. No cherry picking! You're invoking the limits, but apparently chucking out the explanation of those limits! The paragraph that explains the table specifically states, "Anything having a price under the limit is most likely available, whether it be mundane or magical". If you're trying to use this to say there's no market, then you have to keep your population centers below 2000 people. That's pretty darned small. You sure you want to do that?

Oh, absolutely.

For one thing, I'm shocked that you'd actually say "no cherry-picking." This entire thread is about cherry-picking, from selectively applying various bits of real economic theory to equally selective bits of game rules. Of course, that's paltry compared to the massive amount of cherry-picking that is the GM creating a custom game world that conforms to his personal vision, and what rationalizations are being selectively applied to prop up that vision, which is sort of my entire point.

This is without even getting into the fact that "most likely" does not mean "absolutely," since...

And what about the next pages of the DMG, which give you the population of the town that has those limits?

...those population tables don't say anything about what (item creation) feats any resident spellcasters may or may not have.

A large town (2001-5000 people) has a GP limit of 3000 GP. It *also* has one wizard of level 4-7, and one cleric of level 4-10. Note how the craft weapons and armor feat has a required caster level of only 5? Any place larger, you get multiple casters of even higher levels, and the idea that *none* of them have chosen to take a feat that could be so lucrative becomes less and less plausible.

It's not at all implausible, since that presumes that any and all feats are just available to be selected like dishes at a buffet. If the GM decides that they need to be taught, or aren't available for anyone to take, or that they're not lucrative choices because the underlying ideas about how much money people have to spend don't support that as a viable choice, or any of a thousand other decisions, then no one will have them.

Not that the item in question has to be made by the local caster. Nor does it have to sit in Ye Olde Magicke Iteme Shoppe. It merely has to be present in among those couple thousand people. Maybe the innkeeper has a family heirloom that he's willing to sell, or the city watch has one in inventory but hey need payroll more than they need the sword.

Which is irrelevant, as that ignores my previous statement that "market economy" is being used as a shorthand for "some degree of a self-sustaining industry (e.g. engaging in that enterprise can make enough money to make a living off of for the people involved in producing/selling X type of goods/services)."

I've said that before, and if I have to I'll say it [dramatic echo] REPEATEDLY [/dramatic echo].

Yes, as I have said, REPEATEDLY, and I'll say again, so you won't miss it: you can create a world with no market. But, it constrains the world in other ways, in terms of plausibility. The GM has to be sure the constraints this stipulation imposes are consistent with everything else they desire for their world. As you can see from my answers to the questions, the constraints can start getting pretty specific.

These constraints are part and parcel of every aspect of world building, and in this case the lack of an economic market for magic items doesn't seem to require any particularly greater set of constraints than any other broad decision for how things work in the game, as you can see from my answers.

Yes, but again, because you seem to have missed it previously - the "shop that deals in magic items exclusively" is a straw man. If that's what you're arguing against, I think you've set it up as a target yourself, and are trying to knock it over yourself. Which, while kind of a silly endeavor, you're free to do. But please stop responding to others as if they are trying to defend your arbitrarily set point for you, because we aren't.

It's more correct to say that your focus on literal shops as buildings is a straw man, since I've stated multiple times now that I'm referring to the industry for magic item creation/sales as a whole. Now, the shop unto itself is a good representation of that, but it's simply a handy example of what we're trying to avoid. If you think that's the only thing being referred to, then you should probably go review the thread for a while until you have a better understanding of what's being discussed.

This will sound pedantic, but I want to be clear: when we say, "there will be a market" we don't mean a brick-and mortar building. We mean "market" in the economic sense of there being trade in such items, not in the sense of "I'm going to the super-market to get a pound of butter".

Don't worry, it doesn't sound pedantic; it sounds mistaken. When I'm saying "there won't be a market," I'm saying that there won't be a (even partially) self-sustaining industry, not necessarily a physical store.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
X is a variable- we're talking in generalities. I'm only assuming any magic item you choose to include in a campaign world exists, since we are talking about selling magic items. So X is given assuming your world has magic items of any kind. The person who created X need not be alive.

X is a variable of people creating the item, not the items themselves. Note also that we're not talking about selling magic items, we're talking about that happening on a large enough scale to constitute an industry, or at least a major part of an industry.

Once X is created, there will be a market for it as long as it exists. That market may have information problems (buyer and seller finding each other, understanding the functions of X), or it may be dysfunctional (buyer and seller cannot agree on a price), but it exists.

Again, you're talking about different things than I am. If there's only one of a particular magic item in the world, and the one person who has it wants to sell it, but the only person who wants to buy it lives on the other side of the world, and the two never meet, that might mean that there's an economic market for the item, but there won't be an economy (by which I mean, an industry) around it.

I do, we are, and I am.

To reiterate, we're not talking about the same thing. So at least we've gotten that cleared up.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Permanent powerful items just being "gear" that are easily replaceable with enough cash just doesn't feel like magic. At that point only artifacts & relics actually feel like real magic items. I prefer a broader selection of items to retain their magical feel.

Certainly, most adventuring gear should be available most of the time. Telling your players they can't buy hemp rope before delving into a dungeon is justifiable if there's a hemp shortage and the local ruler is hoarding it all for his crack team of moutain rangers, but it IS kind of unfun. An unnecessary speedbump. But that doesn't mean you can't have some form of reasonable scarcity in your campaign world.

As I pointed out before, just because something- ANYTHING, be it mundane or magical- has a price, does not mean it is available where the PCs are.* After all, would you, as a DM, allow a party flush with cash to buy a seafaring warship in a mountain village? Or a spyglass in a stone-age settlement?

In one campaign, I asked a weapon smith in the small town in which the party was operating to make a particular exotic weapon in which my PC was planning to become proficient. He was never able to master its construction.

If you can't get mundane gear everywhere, sll the time, why should magic items be any different?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
X is a variable of people creating the item, not the items themselves. Note also that we're not talking about selling magic items, we're talking about that happening on a large enough scale to constitute an industry, or at least a major part of an industry.

I'm pretty sure I know what parameters I set for X when presenting the statement.

But, as you clarified, you're talking about a self-sustaining industry, not the subsequent "used" market. And I made NO claims about the existence of a magic item industry. That still does not change the economic fact that a good durable enough to last for a long time- and most magic items are damn durable, essentially without loss of functionality over their entire existence (no wear-based depreciation)- there will arise a resale market in magic items.

Saying otherwise is just a logic hole in the campaign.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm pretty sure I know what parameters I set for X when presenting the statement.

Well, given that X is undefined, that would sort of defeat the point of using a variable, wouldn't it? :p

But, as you clarified, you're talking about a self-sustaining industry, not the subsequent "used" market. And I made NO claims about the existence of a magic item industry. That still does not change the economic fact that a good durable enough to last for a long time- and most magic items are damn durable, essentially without loss of functionality over their entire existence (no wear-based depreciation)- there will arise a resale market in magic items.

That depends on if, by resale market, you mean "used magic item buying/selling industry" or "someone somewhere has a magic item that they could conceivably sell, and someone somewhere wants a magic item like that and has sufficient cash."

Saying otherwise is just a logic hole in the campaign.

I disagree (presuming you mean the former and not the latter).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, given that X is undefined, that would sort of defeat the point of using a variable, wouldn't it? :p

You clearly misunderstand what is meant by a variable. Here, it meant "any magic item the DM includes in his campaign." We don't know which one, but we know that there is one. It is, therefore, a variable.

That depends on if, by resale market, you mean "used magic item buying/selling industry" or "someone somewhere has a magic item that they could conceivably sell, and someone somewhere wants a magic item like that and has sufficient cash."
You don't need a distinct "magic item market" for there to be active commerce in magic items.

Even if someone can't get the DMG value for a given magic item, that item will nonetheless have a value within the market by virtue of its intrinsic properties. Nearly anything magical in D&D is extremely well made and hard to destroy- with obvious exceptions like potions, which are destroyed by use or scrolls, etc.). By virtue of those properties alone, even if one cannot discern its actual powers, a magic item will command a greater price than mundane items of the same kind.

So, Otis the Farmer who found a magic robe while plowing his field- it was once the site of a great battle- may well sell it for farming supplies, tools, or food, never knowing anything else about it beyond the fact that it is clearly magic in some way. (Despite seeming flimsy, it resists damage better than his work clothes.) He won't get full price for it, but he will get what to him would be a goodly sum.
I disagree (presuming you mean the former and not the latter).

The resale market in magic items will function like any other, and the durability of magic items will make them sellable even without proper identification.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

You keep using that word "industry". Can you find anywhere someone other than you has used it to describe the market? Because, again, I'm thinking this is another aspect of straw-man, arguing against a thing that nobody else is arguing for.

For what Danny and I are talking about, I think all we (and the DMG guidelines) need are buyers and sellers. Organize them as you wish. Maybe there's an industry. Maybe it is more a cottage industry. Maybe it is just folks who have items that they'd be willing to sell if you asked them. Or, (*gasp!*) maybe it varies. You know, where the purchase price is near the local GP cap, you're looking for the guy who has an heirloom. When the cap is much higher than the price, you might well see folks trying to make a living producing and selling them. That would make far more sense to me than flat "no market or industry".

Remove ads